hello from florida.. new 05 wrx owner
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on hello from florida.. new 05 wrx owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i am the new owner of a 2005 wrx.. it has 67k miles and its in great shape.. now this ...

Exclamation hello from florida.. new 05 wrx owner

i am the new owner of a 2005 wrx.. it has 67k miles and its in great shape.. now this is my daily driver and would like to do light mods .. the first debate is springs or coils or springs for now then save for coils... so much debate.. my question is since im dealing with a symmetrical all wheel drive car how lonw can i go before i start running into problems? i was thinking a 1.5 - 2 inch drop... what are the best springs? and are springs ok for daily driving? ive been reading up on threads and to my understanding coils are for track use and the only advantage is that they are adjustable but in reality alot of users put them on at a specific height then dont touch them.. and they could blow out and need to be rebuilt? please help me understand what would be a good set up for a daily driver.. please and thank you for reading .. im super happy to finally own a wrx

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Once the coils are set, you will need a suspension alignment. Therefore you can't continuously change your suspension while on the road.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome. where in FL?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

You'll need an alignment either way dropping the car, doesn't matter if you do so on springs or coils. You'll also need eccentric camber bolts as the OEM set-up does not offer enough travel for a lowered vehicle.

It really depends on your price range and goals. Spring/strut combos are typically less expensive and are stronger than entry level coils. By entry level I mean under 2k.

Taking your car beyond about 1.5-1.75" is affecting the suspension geometry and will therefore effect your handling. There is a RCK or Roll Center kit made by Whiteline that extends the ball joints to combat this. I'd suggest looking into this depending on how you drive. Most people that go for a coilover are concerned with wheel fitment or standing their car. At this point it's primarily aesthetic and getting away from being functional as it is so 1k coilovers are fine when you're concerned about how it sits parked as opposed to handling.

Best in reference to lowering springs is pretty much opinion. Thought you get what you pay for with suspension and I would suggest looking into Koni Inserts and RCE Springs. Both have a solid reputation for quality. If you want new struts entirely D Specs are another great option but are a little more expensive than the inserts.

If you want a little more info on springs vs struts coils out my topics under my profile page I had initially been looking for coils myself and landed on the set-up I just recommended to you.

I live in Kissimmee fl right next to Orlando

Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    welcome. where in FL?
    Kissimmee right by Orlando

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtac View Post
    Kissimmee right by Orlando
    awesome. we have meets every wednesday @ sonics right off the 408.

242 SOUTH SEMORAN BLVD
    ORLANDO, FL 32807-3805

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

welcome!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Coils are not good for a DD.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.