1800 miles on ODO
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 1800 miles on ODO within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, a little long story...... I've purchased the car with 7 miles on ODO about six weeks ago. The ...

1800 miles on ODO

Hi all, a little long story......

I've purchased the car with 7 miles on ODO about six weeks ago. The break-in period was..... whatever

Since it is my DD, I had an ample opportunity to make some observations. Hi all,

I've purchased the car with 7 miles on ODO about six weeks ago. The break-in period was..... whatever

Since it is my DD, I had an ample opportunity to make some observations. Some things I've noticed right away about this car: Most notably the suspension, and more precisely the "motion" control

I had encountered a couple of bad traits on this car within 24hrs of getting this car. The "sway" control and its tendency to wander during any straight line, free way rides were pretty un-nerving.

So, made an appointment today to upgrade the sway bars and the endlinks on both ends, front/back

Brakes are not exactly that stellar either but the rotors are so new - solution: upgrade the brake lines and pads on both ends - will be done at the same time the sway bars and the end links are installed

As for the engine/tuning:

This car came with the SPT catback. I won't be considering an upgrade on the exhaust for a while

More importantly, since I've been lurking around the forums, I've noticed the mention of crappy stock tune: I agree a 100%.

I've taken the car out on multiple occasions to test out the "lean spot" and yes it could definitely use a better tune. On the thanksgiving morning, around 0600 -0700'ish, I've taken the car out on a 1.5 hour test ride. The first and second gear pulls are pretty solid. I've tried the fourth geal pullfrom 3400 rpm and the "lean spot" stutter was definitely noticeable until +4000 rpm. Then I've tried the 60mph/4300rpm pull on the 3rd gear, and
    it was a lot smoother, but left me wanting a little more torque. Repeated the test on the practically empty freeway for a couple of more times with the same results

So, it's a toss up between the "guaranteed" warranty or questionable "warranty"

I've decided to improve the tune state of the vehicle, and once my scheduled suspension and
    brake mods are complete, along with the availability of 2013 COBB a/p....., then the stage II will be done: I'm definitely getting the
    down pipe, intake, and may be even an equal length header install (would prefer the TMIC upgrade but the cost is a consideration for the
    nest round of upgrades)

On a positive note, this car is deceptively fast and I relish every moment I turned the ignition on: The boxer sound, the whistle of turbo; the wine of the transmission on 2nd; the bass, low thrumming of the exhaust note during the cruise; and the cush ride this car offers...... Oh, I'm getting the "D" shaped steering wheel

Attachment 109804
    Last edited by jsBLwrx; 11-24-2012 at 03:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice observations!

Keep in mind, the Cobb AP stage 2 tune only supports a downpipe and certain intakes. You would need a custom tune if you got ELHs and/or an intake that isn't one of the ones they list in the map notes.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Re: 1800 miles on ODO

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Nice observations!

Keep in mind, the Cobb AP stage 2 tune only supports a downpipe and certain intakes. You would need a custom tune if you got ELHs and/or an intake that isn't one of the ones they list in the map notes.
    Hi there. Thanks for your comments.

As you've mentioned I was going to order the parts from Cobb along with the tune: the down pipe and an intake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.