braking and downshifting - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on braking and downshifting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by teflon_jones What is "extreme" about engine braking when going down a mountain? It's not doing anything bad ...

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    What is "extreme" about engine braking when going down a mountain? It's not doing anything bad to your engine...
    Again, it's more just a personal preference. It may not be harmful, but I try to run the middle ground with engine breaking, and regular brakes.

Just seems like a lot of back torque for an extended period would not do an engine any favors. I could be wrong on that, and I have been wrong before.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    Size 16??!? Holy crap. I should point out that I haven't yet been able to comfortably heel-toe in this car. Where the pedals have felt perfectly placed for me to do that in other cars, it feels totally wrong to me in the WRX. But everybody's different, so I need to practice more in this car. Anyway, I see your point about just blipping the throttle for smoothness in day to day driving. But I don't understand sequentially down changing. If you need 2nd for the approaching corner, why not just change from 4th to 2nd and blip the throttle there? Modern brakes are quite capable of slowing a car down without the need of the engine. Or is it just because racecar?
    It took me a week of hard practice before I got it, just have at it and find a way comfortable for you.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.