braking and downshifting - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on braking and downshifting within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; By rev matching do you mean downshifting to say 3rd from 4th and having to rev the engine to just ...

By rev matching do you mean downshifting to say 3rd from 4th and having to rev the engine to just enough RPM to shift properly without jerking the car?

If so, I do this and have done this since the day I started driving a manual (about 5 years). I had thought this was the proper way to down shift, no?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

braking and downshifting

I have to wonder what happens to the "always heel-toe" guys in a car that won't allow it. My Toyota doesn't due to pedal positions. Since I never do it on the road I don't care.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rurso01 View Post
    By rev matching do you mean downshifting to say 3rd from 4th and having to rev the engine to just enough RPM to shift properly without jerking the car?

If so, I do this and have done this since the day I started driving a manual (about 5 years). I had thought this was the proper way to down shift, no?
    That's my thought on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I have to wonder what happens to the "always heel-toe" guys in a car that won't allow it. My Toyota doesn't due to pedal positions. Since I never do it on the road I don't care.
    I don't always heel-toe... but when I do... It's normally not around the presence of others. Every once in a while if the situation is an odd one that would benefit from it (long downhill stretch where I am in the incorrect gear for example) I will. I do when I'm in the car by myself before some bends for some practice here and there. I'm not very fluid with it - my throttle control is not as smooth with only half a foot on the pedal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    I got my WRX a month ago and still have issues with downshifting.

Can someone write their process of what they are doing with their feet/stick when getting off a highway in 5th and stopping at a light by normal downshifting and not heal toeing?

It might clear somethings up for me.
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

I Support ClubWRX
    Brake. If the car might need to move forward but you are still in 5, drop to, say, 3 or 2 as necessary. If not, stop the car and remove 5 in exchange for N before the car starts stammering.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Most cars are surprisingly easy to heel toe.. but occasionally there are some that just are not set up right. In that case, if I have to stop suddenly I will clutch in and apply heavy brake. If it's a gradual slow down I will blip the throttle, downshift, moderate brake, release brake, blip throttle, downshift, etc. Pretty much the same way I drive my car, but with mine I will throw in a heel toe when it fits the circumstance. It gives me something to do rather than just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by thescreensavers View Post
    I got my WRX a month ago and still have issues with downshifting.

Can someone write their process of what they are doing with their feet/stick when getting off a highway in 5th and stopping at a light by normal downshifting and not heal toeing?

It might clear somethings up for me.

I've explained it a bunch of times. I'm sure there are youtube videos that would explain better than just typing it out.. maybe I should make a video of my own just to show how easy the peddle work is once you have sufficient practice at it.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Taken to a larger scale at the track, it's always frowned upon to leave your car engine braking let alone out of gear. Most call that state an "out of control" state. The idea is to always have your car under throttle or moderate/heavy braking to maintain consistent control.

Yeah.. I always feel like I should either be hard on the gas, or hard on the brake, not in between. Of course daily driving on the streets you have to compromise because of stupid "laws" and such.. but to keep from getting bored and spacing out I often pretend I'm on a race track in a car with no power or traction, so I focus heavily on smooth weight transitions and efficiency while always keeping it in gear. At least it gives my life some degree of entertainment.

Registered User thescreensavers's Avatar
    Brake. If the car might need to move forward but you are still in 5, drop to, say, 3 or 2 as necessary. If not, stop the car and remove 5 in exchange for N before the car starts stammering.
    Well yea thats what I do now, I can downshift I am getting faster at it but I just wanted to read it out and see if I am missing anything lol
    2013 WRB WRX Hatchback
    GTWORX Cup Kit w/RCE Yellows/RCE Swaybars/Kartboy Endlinks/Muffler Delete/Shorty Antenna/

Heel toeing is a matter of preferance I think.

Matching rpms when you downshift is just good practice. Why be harder on the clutch, or have a jerkier ride when a quick blip on the downshift makes it all better?

When I downshift, I always rev match.

Engine braking is a different subject. I see nothing wrong with the engine providing a bit of drag when coming to a stop. I try to avoid extreme engine braking as in going down a mountain.

Good rule of thumb is to be smooth. Smooth in shifting, breaking, and driving in general. Less wear and tear, and a better ride.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are LOTS of videos on YouTube on the subject and also just how to drive a manual vehicle. Only problem is lots of the videos are older and the person is just talking and talking. A few have mulitple camera angles which is nice but it's hard to see the feet/pedals. Sooooo, I suggest one of you guys make a short video (3mins or less) on how to downshift/heal-toe.

Re: braking and downshifting

Why not a heel-toe-double-clutch vid while we're at it? That's always fun =)
    Or even just double clutching... helps me get through the commute.

Ohh or heel-toe-double-clutch to left-foot-brake..... fakie. Hehehe xP

Posted from a fone.
    Last edited by UEDan; 11-26-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    I suggest one of you guys make a short video (3mins or less) on how to downshift/heal-toe.

This is all you need to know, right here...

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh dear, everyone's insisting... OK guys, knock yourselves out. Whoever achieves Walter status, let me know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdy8CG09rSU

I'll tell you what happens to me - I keep going for it anyway and keep missing, so I do the same downshifts, with the same speed on the clutch, but without matching revs, resulting in a harsh downshift. Then I remember and change my driving style to compensate.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Quote Originally Posted by XRedJar View Post
    Engine braking is a different subject. I see nothing wrong with the engine providing a bit of drag when coming to a stop. I try to avoid extreme engine braking as in going down a mountain.
    What is "extreme" about engine braking when going down a mountain? It's not doing anything bad to your engine...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast