old school mechanic with a new school turbo car. need some under hood pointers.

This is a discussion on old school mechanic with a new school turbo car. need some under hood pointers. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HI to everybody and before i ask a slew of n00bie questions let me say thanks to all the pro's ...

Cool old school mechanic with a new school turbo car. need some under hood pointers.

HI to everybody and before i ask a slew of n00bie questions let me say thanks to all the pro's and jo's that have already helped me trouble shoot my new-to- me 02 wrx wagon. i have three questions left i am having a time with.
    1 fuel smell. cold engine, cold weather. covered in huge depth. my question is, how can i tell if the lines have been swapped(no paper trail). i have a eye on the leak, it's a single rubber line coming up next to the turbo to a steel like that runs under the intake assembly. cheezy spring loaded clamp. damp and smells like bad montana winter blend gas.

2. very VERY slight coolant leak on top of turbo. i think. i can see the hard lined oil lines, this one is on the top inside of the air turbine part. forgive my terrible non-subaru terms. i shall learn, i sweear!!!

3. drivability concern. under steady driving or mild accereration there is a slight gear whine from the center-right(so it seems) front of the car. speed doesn't affect the pitch or the volume of the whine. coasting off throttle at any speed or clutch in at any speed the whine goes away. i do know the car has had a tranny rebuild(can feel the crisp new parts in a car with 133700 miles) and a new clutch. ..... but the sound reminds me of my camaro's new rear diff that i didnt get the gear wear pattern QUITE right(was my first without all the proper guages )and i had a whine in off throttle coasting, just the reverse.

after that, i can see a grimmspeed ceramic coated up pipe in my future for a first mod. i really dont want to replace a turbo, and who can argue with ten or almost ten hp for two ben's and a afternoon under your new car?

current 2002 wrx wagon, midnight blue pearl
    retiring, 1984 chevy camaro berlinetta modded for 490,000 plus daily hotrodding and drift practicing.
    retired. 1969 chevy van(with sidepipes!!) 1971 duster, 1964 rambler american

out of my element. thats ok though, i brought a extra jacket!!http://www.clubwrx.net/ubb/icons/icon6.gif

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    1. I don't think you can if looks alone won't do it; however you can ask the dealer if the recall has been performed. Whether it has or not, ask that they do it since the part has failed anyway. Contact SOA if necessary. Subaru should not be selling cars with fuel coming out the lines.

2. Find and fix I'm afraid. Could be the clamp. If you replace a line or open the system, burp the system thoroughly.

3. Could be normal; the front diff is open, but there's a central diff in there too. Can't say from a distance, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks a bunch SD. ive actually owned my bug eyes buggy for a week now and you guys have been a huge help already. could be im a bit AR...but spending a bunch on a used car(however cool) with high milage Plus being a former rental sends off all spidy mechanic mojo senses with flashing lights. made my camaro last since graduation from tech school in 95, gotta make this one just as long lol!