Help Please!!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help Please!! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi Guys, I'm brand new here and i'm hoping someone will be able to help me with a problem i've ...

Help Please!!

Hi Guys, I'm brand new here and i'm hoping someone will be able to help me with a problem i've recently run into... I was changing the spark plugs the other day on my 05 wrx 78,000 miles on it and when i was done i started it up to take it for a test run. I warmed it up and it seemed like it was stammering a bit under soft acceleration but once it was warmed up the problems got worse... i opened it up to see if it was just in my head and it sputtered terrible through boost with almost no acceleration at all. I ended up taking the brand new iridium plugs out and re-gapping them and putting them in again so make sure everything was on correctly and everything was all tightened up but ran into the same problem again when i was all done.... hesitantly i pulled the plugs again and returned the old plugs (which are the stock oem replacements) but still the same ploblem. It feels like its misfiring horribly and the CEL flashes under hard acceleration but its not storing the code because the light won't stay on :/ This all started immediately after i changed the plugs the first time. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im guessing you messed up the coil pack connectors. one is white, and one is black. if i remember correct the black connector goes to the rear coil, and the white connector goes to the front coil.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What was the gap on the plugs after you gapped them (using a feeler gauge)?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX

Help Please!!

One ought not gap iridium plugs, they are easy to damage. The gaps wee unlikely the problem anyway. Check the coils as stated and also check the MAF (the intake was probably removed).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it! I gapped them to .028 after trying them as they came out of the box to start... I did one at a time reconnecting the coils as i went so i was sure i wouldn't get them mixed together so I don't think that could be the problem but I will double check tomorrow when it's light out again haha. As for the MAF i've been thinking mine was faulty for a while now and ordered one sometime last week. The new one should be in tomorrow so maybe that will fix it?? I just can't wrap my head around this one because i'm currently running the old plugs which were fine to begin with and the problem is still there :/ Any other thoughts or ideas?? I'll keep everyone posted on anything new i find!

Just to add to that last bit the coil pack connectors on the intake side of my car didn't "click" into place like the two on the opposite side did... seemed strange but i tried a couple of times to get them to and they just wouldn't click. They seem to be on all the way though... I don't know if this could be a problem just figured I'd try to get all the information out there :/

definitely sounds like a spark problem...retrace steps very carefully...including the click you say may have been missed.

Are you positive you placed the coilpacks back on in the proper cylinders as suggested above? You didn't mention that part...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    The harness connection to the MAF faces the nose of the car.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry for the delayed reply been working like crazy all week.... i put in the new MAF sensor it didn't help the problem :/ is it possible that i could have messed up one of the connectors to one of the coils or something like that? they are all on there as far as they will go on but maybe i could have damaged a connection??? Not sure where to go from here any ideas are appreciated, thanks guys.

I Support ClubWRX

Help Please!!

What codes are you getting now?

That's the weird thing, I'm not getting any codes :/ when i try to accelerate hard(which I'm not doing much of these days) It sputters and the CEL flashes but isn't storing any codes. It defenitely feels liike its running on 3 cylinders but I can't pinpoint it because it's not storing the codes. And yes Mikie I'm sure i put the coilpacks back on the proper cylinder I did them one at a time. Well I'm putting in my new fuel pump and filter today not that that's gonna fix my spark issues ha. Well I'll keep looking for what my problem might be but I think i might just end up taking it to a dealer and paying out the ass.

I Support ClubWRX

Help Please!!

If it is running on 3, fully disengaging one coil would not make a difference, allowing you to ID the cyl at fault. However DO NOT do this until someone that actually KNOWS what they are doing (I do NOT!) confirms it's feasible without blowing up the car and planet.

Bump for critique of my idea. Anyone?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I do not understand the concept of "running on 3 cylinders."

There are three reasons, IMO, why one cylinder would not be providing power:
    1.) There is no spark
    2.) There is no cylinder compression (or valve is stuck)
    3.) There is no fuel delivery to cylinder

You have already, according to your previous posts, replaced your spark plugs AND checked your coil packs. Therefore, 1.) has already been completed. The next logical step would be to perform a cylinder compression/leakdown test to clear 2.). For 3.), you will want to check your fuel rails, fuel pump (although this would afflict ALL cylinders), and fuel injectors. Best of luck.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I can see where you're coming from with Zax, but the only thing is this all atarted immediately after the plug change it didn't show any of these symptoms prior to that. This is why I'm leaning away from compression problems and more towards a faulty connection possibly the coil pack connectors or something more like that.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Find a known good set of coil packs and see if that resolves your issue. Although a compression/leakdown test never hurts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.