Newish member, brand new 2013 WRX

This is a discussion on Newish member, brand new 2013 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, I've been lurking around here for a while, but my 2013 WRB WRX hatch just came in so ...

Hello all, I've been lurking around here for a while, but my 2013 WRB WRX hatch just came in so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Austin, TX and this is my first new car, first performance car, and first car built in this century. My previous ride is a 99 Toyota 4Runner. That truck was a beast and other than underbody rust (I moved here from the northeast), it looked and ran like it was brand new when I traded it in. After paying off all of my student loans and all of the other big expenses (married, first house, first kid, new car for wife) it was time to pull the trigger on something new and fun for myself.

I bounced back and forth most of the year on whether to go with a Focus ST or the WRX and actually went so far as to order the ST. However, my order was delayed long enough for me to actually spend some time in an ST at the dealer before mine came in and I just didn't like it. I immediately cancelled the ST and ordered my WRB hatch in mid-September. No knock on the ST, it seems like a great car. The Recaros in that car are amazing, but other than that I just liked the way the WRX drives and the "basic" WRX interior that everyone complains about so much better. After driving a '99 Toyota, even the WRX interior feels like a huge step up, and all of the bells and whistles in the ST just seemed like more stuff to break. Plus I fear the first year car and have had awesome experience with Subaru in the past.

So far, the WRX is just perfect. I love the performance (haven't opened it up yet though), love the look (IMHO best looking car in this class), and actually love the interior of the car. I've been offering to run every errand imaginable this weekend to get more time in the car. I have a WRB Premium hatch with the short throw and "popular" package. The only minor complaints are that the SPT short throw doesn't really feel that short and the stock WRX shift knob is pretty disappointing. I like the look of the upgraded STI one, but need to do some research on whether anyone sells it cheaper than the dealer.

I have no solid mod plans yet. I'll probably get a few thousand miles past break-in before I decide anything, but at this point I'm thinking I won't go past a stage 1 tune.

Pics are below. There's a few of the WRX and then my other pride and joy: two cars in a two car garage. Anyone in central Texas can tell you that without basements around here, not using your garage for storage is tough.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	109603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	109604Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	109605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0914.jpg 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	109606

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very nice! What kind of mods are you planning for her?

Nothing big... yet. Since it's my first performance car, I'll drive a little while after break-in and figure out where I want more. I'm guessing I'll pick up an AP and go to Stage 1 soon after that. I'm still doing some research on how much value I'd get out of a custom tune over just an OTS map, or if I should save the custom tune $ for later mods.

To be honest, I've been reading through here and sometimes NASIOC to get smart on everything, but I still have a lot to learn before I jump in.

Also, I drive cars a LONG time and want this one to last me until 2023 if I can. I want to figure whether anything I do would shorten the life of the car. I see a lot of people on this forum with 10 year old modded cars, so that's a good sign, but once again don't know enough about it yet.

I Support ClubWRX
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Welcome and congrats! Good style and color choice
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Welcome and congratz on the car!
    Mad love for WRB Hatches!
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX Sti - SOLD
    2000 PY Acura Integra Type R 59k miles - EX track warrior/weekend car
    2012 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan - SOLD
    2013 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback - SOLD
    2013 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX Hatchback #2 - SOLD
    2015 WRB Subaru WRX - purchased on 5-06-2014
    "The Spartans do not ask how many are the enemy, but where are they." - Plutarch

not to hijack this thread, but is anyone else having trouble getting onto the lathewerks site?

Yes. Literally just tried to get on their site 10 seconds ago.....and it will not load!

ok glad i'm not the only one.

and to the OP, congrats on the new car! i'm waiting for my '13 plasma blue pearl hatch to come in.. the waits an absolute killer.

Quote Originally Posted by WREXXY View Post
    not to hijack this thread, but is anyone else having trouble getting onto the lathewerks site?
    Same here.

Glad to see so much WRB love on the forum. When i think of the WRX I think of WRB, so I had to order it. However, I do really like the SWP and almost caved on a used DGM STI while I was waiting for my WRX order. The dealer wouldn't budge on the used STI price, so I stuck with my order.