Is this look normal??

This is a discussion on Is this look normal?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, Today, i opened the oil cap and I saw this built up on the inside. I am not ...

Is this look normal??

Hi guys,

Today, i opened the oil cap and I saw this built up on the inside. I am not a mechanic, so I am hoping you guys can tell me if this is normal.

Thanks in advance for your help!

COS70

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20121118_002.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	109579

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had another car that would get that same milky substance on the bottom of the oil cap. I mainly drove that car short distances and around town. After a few longer trips in went away. What are your driving habits? Does it disappear after a longer drive where everything is running at the full temperature for a while? If that stuff comes out during an oil change you have an issue. When I first saw it I thought I had an issue of a head gasket leaking... luckily it wasn't anything.

Good luck.

I Support ClubWRX

Is this look normal??

Not abnormal for cars driven short trips in cool and/or humid environments.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I drive a mixture of highway and local. It was idling for bit after a cold start up and that's when I checked it.

Thanks!

It's perfectly normal. How much you get on the oil cap depends on the type of driving, the type of engine, the location of the cap, etc. My Porsche (and pretty much all of them) get a pretty good buildup that can be 1/4" thick and cover the entire cap. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, though you don't want to let that fall back into your oil system. If it's loose and might fall off, wipe it off before it does. Otherwise you can just leave it be.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Appreciate the feedback!