New forum member saying hi. Also looking for advice.

This is a discussion on New forum member saying hi. Also looking for advice. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I've been a lurker on the forum for a while now, and I've decided that it's time to ...

Hey guys,

I've been a lurker on the forum for a while now, and I've decided that it's time to join the community. I am graduating from college soon and want to make my dreams of being a wrx owner a reality now that I have the financial means to do so. I am looking for a stock (or close to it) 04-07 wrx sedan with under 85k and I wanted to ask: what things should I watch out for when searching for a wrx? Where are good places to search for one? What is a fair prices for such a wrx (if location matters I'm in Illinois)?

I've owned a 5 speed 95 wrangler while in school and done some basics things to it. In the process I've learned some basic auto mechanics and I am eager to learn more. What resources do you guys know of that can teach me more about subarus?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice. I am excited to join a place with people as enthusiastic about cars as I am.

-John

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! Have you tried searching the forums yet? There are many threads with tips for buying the cars. As for where to find them, all the normal places: ebay, cars.com, autotrader, your local dealers, etc. Use NADA for fair prices.

For learning about them, again read the forums. There's a ton of info about them. There's no substitute for working on one yourself either.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

There are a couple stickies at the top of this subforum that you should start with, then feel free to come back and ask any more specific questions.

How to Buy a Used WRX or STI

Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

The 04-05 WRX has an ej205 (2.0L turbo) and the 06+ have the ej255 (2.5L turbo) thought they are quite similar they have different things to watch for and some specific to the year.

I've always found my Subie's on either forums or Craigslist. Unmodified is going to be a little tricky the older you go but modified is not always a bad thing depending on how it's been driven.

Thanks for the info guys. Those stickies are filled with some really good info I will keep in mind as I continue my search. I'm going to explore the forum to learn more about these awesome machines; especially about the engine stuff. If I have any other questions I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help.

-John