So I'm thinking about buying a WRX, should I?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on So I'm thinking about buying a WRX, should I? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys! I'm a new member and have been doing some research on getting a WRX. I currently drive a ...

So I'm thinking about buying a WRX, should I?

Hi guys! I'm a new member and have been doing some research on getting a WRX. I currently drive a VW GLI (MK5, DSG) and while it is a lot of fun as a daily driver, I really need something with AWD capability for taking safe winter trips to the mountains with my wife and friends. That's my official story, at least.

The unofficial story is: I really like the WRX and would love to carve up the canyons here in socal.

I'm looking for a lightly used 2011+ WRX. I really like the 3rd generation the best, especially the mid-cycle refresh with the tuned up engine and facelifted sheet metal. FWIW, I don't plan on doing a lot of modding when I get it (at least for a few years), and the STI seems to be out of my price range of $25k. I realize some of the 2nd gen Impreza WRX STI's can be had for cheap, but I don't want a used car w/ high mileage, or any Impreza with a giant wing spoiler (personal preferences).

Anyway, I'll be out searching this forum for useful threads, and educating myself on the things I need to be mindful of while shopping for a used WRX. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Mikey

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would personally shoot an e-mail out to some Subaru dealers within a few hundred miles, you might be able to get a 2013 base WRX for under or around $25K, you'd have an extra few years on the warranty and have only a few miles on the car. The price doesn't drop much when buying used, you might end up paying about the same price and there's a chance it wasn't treated the best (Plus interest on a new car might be lower). I got my '10 base for $23,981 in Chicago (flew there, drove home) and I see the '10's going for $21K + now. Most cars I would buy used, but probably not a WRX (unless I was going for 08 or older). Good luck & welcome.
    "If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t."

'10 WRX DGM Sedan: CNT Catted DP, SPT Exhaust, Perrin STS adapter/bushings, TP Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with the buying new thing. You can probably order a '13 still and pay maybe $1-2k more. With the lower interest offers on new cars you might end up paying less anyway.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Yes I agree, I am in the same position. In my search I have found that there is no cost savings in buying a late model wrx over a new one. Also with these little rice rockets, you just don't know how they've been treated.

yes.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

All the WRX's I've seen at the dealer run $27k-30k, I assume because of options packages, which are nice to have. And yes, with pre-owned WRX's, you really don't know how they've been treated.

Are there any inherent issues with the Stink-Eye that I need to watch out for? I'm still going to be looking at used cars if the price is right.

Invoice price on a new 2013 is $24,400ish if i remember right... If you can wait 2-3 months for the car to be ordered thats a great price, then you can throw some add-ins that you want and you saved money...

But if you have to get one ASAP that used then you pay to play either way... That rymed... Unintentional

In all likelihood, I'll be waiting 2-3 months anyway. At this point, selling the VW is Job One.

I scanned through some stickies in the Car Purchasing forum, lots of good info there, and some other info that is very WRX specific, in relation to various recalls and service bulletins performed on the Subies.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by christiangordon View Post
    It has a salvage title & no warranty. Stay away like Herpes.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    It has a salvage title & no warranty. Stay away like Herpes.
    Don't even touch it with someone else's "member"

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Good catch. Didn't even read it in full

Yeah no salvage title cars!

I'm going to take my time w/ this purchase. Like I said, selling the VW is my first priority, which shouldn't be hard in Socal, girls love Jettas (though I'd prefer if mine went to a true enthusiast, but meh, money's money).

My wife is currently interviewing for a new job, so I'm waiting until all the details are finalized with that. If she makes more money than she does now, I'll be getting a 2011 or a new one. If she has to take a small pay cut, I might be looking for an older Subie, like a hawkeye or blobeye.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
    I might be looking for an older Subie, like a hawkeye.
    Fixored

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

in the same boat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast