New WRX, and new to Manuals. Need some advice - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New WRX, and new to Manuals. Need some advice within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by M3ndoza Question about rev matching, do you hold you foot on the gas at the estimated RPMs ...

Quote Originally Posted by M3ndoza View Post
    Question about rev matching, do you hold you foot on the gas at the estimated RPMs you think the engine will be at a lower gear, or do you give it a little kick to raise the RPMs and foot of gas, then let go of clutch??
    Both. You get used to knowing how much you gotta mash the go pedal to be at the right RPMs.
    But I know I usually catch the RPMs at the up stroke close enough that the clutch is still doing some work.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yep, I had never even tryed a manual in my life when I bought this car and now after about 3000 miles I can rev match without am problem. But 1000 miles ago it was still tough. It will come with time and the way the car responds will teach you

My WRX has the sharpest clutch bite of any stock car I've ever driven. I would never try and teach anyone to drive stick in this thing.

And after trading my DSG (Auto) GTI, it took about 100 miles for me to be comfortable at lights and what-not. That's after like 25 years of driving stick.

Compared with my old SRT-4, that car you could just ease out the clutch in first at idle and it would just amble off. then shift to 2nd, then 3rd, all without touching the gas. My wife drove it pretty ok a few times, but she really hates the pressure so I didn't push it.

Play with your gears. More downshifting and less brake. Don't downshift from 5th to 2nd but work your gear box with common sense. Almost always make turns in 2nd gear as lower gears give you better control. Avoid riding the clutch and drive with confidence. You'll be fine.
    '11 WRX
    Drive and determination.

I know it's not my thread but I am in the same situation as OP. It's also my first manual(I've driven manual for practice before, but it was 150kms at most). For me the toughest gear to get right is 2nd. I can only get it smooth if I am releasing clutch really slowly and I know it can be done faster and smoother. I guess it just needs time(at least I am not sh**** my pants anymore on the red lights ).

On the related subject. I was wondering which of mistakes, that noobs like me usually do, damages the transmission/clutch/engine the most? Is it stalling the engine, jerky gear changes etc....?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.