New owner--- 2003 wrx redline governor??

This is a discussion on New owner--- 2003 wrx redline governor?? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey, I recently purchased a 2003 wrx with 117,000 miles. So far I love the car. However yesterday I was ...

Question New owner--- 2003 wrx redline governor??

Hey, I recently purchased a 2003 wrx with 117,000 miles. So far I love the car. However yesterday I was getting on the freeway and decided to push it to the limit. I was in 2nd gear and redlined my car. It shuttered and I freaked out and immediately shifted to 3rd then 4th. My at seems to be running completely fine, so I assume the governor kicked in? But I'm not sure if I damaged my car. Is there anything I should be weary of?? And was it the governor kicking in, if so how does it work and effect the engine when this happens??
    Thanks
    Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also here is a list of mods my car has... Are there any others I could do with out having to change a whole lot mechanically... OEM SUBARU BOOST GAGUE, OEM SHORT SHIFTER, OEM WIGHTED SHIFT KNOB, TSUDO 3 INCH TURBO BACK CATLESS EXHAUST, RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPPS , K&N AIR FILTER, KYB SUSPENSION
    I would like to get a Cobb accessport but I'm not sure if its worth it? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Ben

I Support ClubWRX
    The rev limiter will protect the motor against damage due to over revving on throttle. It will not protect the motor from damage due to over revving off throttle. It sounds like you were on the throttle when the limiter kicked in, so the motor did not over rev. Therefore it should be fine.

Follow the link in my signature for info on the car. Personally I would not buy the Cobb. I would keep the car as is.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Access port is worth it if you plan to do some mods such as Intake and Downpipe (things you can do in your own garage) after that your going to want to get a custom tune.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I think that my car already has a 3inch down pipe since it has a turbo back exhaust(which goes all the way to the turbo and includes a down pipe, I think?)... One thing I considered was an up pipe? But I wasn't sure if I should bother with that.

I Support ClubWRX

I'd do an up pipe before a down pipe, so if it were my car I'd do the up pipe. You will generate a CEL that can be fixed with a resistor. See link in my sig.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

try to keep your car out of boost, get an uppipe and a tune. research why you need an upipe for 2002-2003 models.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    +1 to the uppipe.

as far as the accessport, do you plan on doing any other mods aside from what you already have? if so, don't get it.

as of right now, your car doesn't REQUIRE a tune [02-03 models are forgiving and can run basic mods without any additional engine management] but if you start doing anything more than a basic intake & exhaust you'll want to get a custom tune.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

ok thanks! i read somewhere about a cat in the stock up pipe that can get detached and go into the engine??!! also if i have a 3 inch tsudo turbo back catless exhaust, should i get a tsudo up pipe as well that is 3 inches. sorry im new to turbo charged cars. thanks for the help

I Support ClubWRX

This is neither probable nor impossible so you may as well go for it. No need to stick to one brand though. Follow the link in my signature. Also, follow the link in my signature.

what were the rpms i have a 02 i never had that happen i rev to 7000 often an once an a while 7200. but never past that. if you went too high in rpm's it will try an save itself. suarbu computers are well knowing for geting it the way