New owner of a 05 WRX Wagon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New owner of a 05 WRX Wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello guys! I recently sold my 2008 Civic Si (mild stage 1 n/a build) in favor of something with a ...

Hello guys! I recently sold my 2008 Civic Si (mild stage 1 n/a build) in favor of something with a bit more traction. I purchased my uncle's meticulously well maintained 05 WRX wagon last week. The stack of records and receipts is 4 inches tall, I measured. 74k, entirely stock except for a K&N typhoon intake that was put on last month. I can now say I understand why F/I guys are always going on about boost. Pictures to come.

I look forward to many happy years!
    Riley

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: New owner of a 05 WRX Wagon

Get rid of that intake. 29.5 days ago.
    Welcome! I drive the same WRX!

Posted from a fone.

Why does the intake need to go? I have done a little research and it seems it does nothing for power and only is useful for sound. I have the stock intake to put on if there is something I don't know about the K&N one.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Intake FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Do intakes cause problems with the air/fuel ratio? Many seem to believe that since their XXX intake does not cause a CEL or exhibit any driveability problems, then their XXX intake must be good. Though the apparent increase in power gives them peace of mind, what they don't take into account is their intake is actually causing unseen harm to their engine. This is generally due to two reasons:
    1. The intake piping diameter is incorrect. This can cause a lean condition in the case of larger than stock diameter piping or a rich condition with decreased diameter piping.
    2. The air flow is not laminar. The stock piping, through it's apparent unusual design, is constructed to smooth out turbulent air flow. Aftermarket systems do not take this into consideration. When turbulence occurs, the MAF sensor will suddenly see more or less air then it had previously. This will cause the ECU to respond by making the engine run leaner or richer for as long as the error from turbulence occurs.

Can the intake problems be corrected through aftermarket engine management? Yes. There are a wide variety of engine management systems that have the capability of modifying the mass air flow values to correct intake piping that is non-OEM size. Some intakes have especially troublesome turbulence problems. Since this turbulence can occur at different points in the power band, based on both engine RPM and engine load, all that can be done to make the engine run safely is to recalibrate the engine with a relatively rich overall tune to compensate.
    Which intakes do not cause problems with the air/fuel ratio? The only manufacturers of intakes that claim in writing not to cause any ill effects are:
    a. TurboXS
    b. APS
    c. Perrin (based on my personal email correspondance with Perrin)
    d. K&N Typhoon (based on testing by nhluhr and testing by AaronWRX, both NASIOC members) These tests were performed on an STi and their effect on WRX A/F ratios is untested.
    e. Cobb Tuning
    f. SPT

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

So if I intend on picking up an accessport this week the intake can stay?

I Support ClubWRX
    Well the accessport maps are designed for stock intakes or Cobb intakes.

desiree

Welcome!! I drive the same as well...

You're better off with open source tuning IMO. That way the tuner can customize the tune to your set-up. You will not get the best use of the mods without a tune and like the above poster mentioned the accessports have certain products in mind.

It would be illogical to tune your car solely on a CAI in my opinion. Get at least a DP a turbo back exhaust so the power is worth the investment. Might also want to look into a fuel pump (Walboro 255lph).

It just depends on how far you want to push the 2.0L. It can definitely take quite a bit more than the OEM tune provides but there's some homework to be done on your end to do it right the first time.

I'd suggest you skip the Accessport, remove the CAI until you are bolting the other mods on and consult a reputable local tuner.

What are your goals for the car? Do you AutoX? Current mileage? Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by careercadaver View Post
    You're better off with open source tuning IMO.
    Oh yeah, one thing with 2005(forgot about other years) models you can use a modified $10 VAG-com cable instead of buying a Tactrix cable.
    Going that direction you can save $300+ for a pro tune over getting an AccessPort. And OSEcu has a free stage 1 tune.

Posted from a fone.

I'm only intending to go as far as stage 2 with this car. If I want more speed I'll get on one of my motorcycles. The accessport is already in the mail. My tuner who did my last car is also very good with Subaru's so he'll be street tuning for me. I am looking at the TurboXS Stealthback as I want the power but not too much noise.

Will my engine explode if I continue running the intake for another couple weeks before I have all the parts and begin tuning? Is it even safe to run the intake once I have a tune?

^ facetious

I know the intake serves no purpose over the stock intake at the level of power I am trying for but once it's tuned it really shouldn't continue to (potentially) throw off my a/f ratios because that is the purpose of tuning. Unless WRX's have some weird tendencies I am unaware of of course. Plus I do thoroughly enjoy the BOV noise that the intake allows me to hear.

I will be tuned within the next two weeks, is the intake so dangerous that I should swap back to the stock one in the meantime?

Thanks,
    Riley

If you want more BOV noise get a turbo inlet. The CAI is going I make your car run lean as you have states. It's always a gamble. You should be tuned for it but I see many running those without a tune. I imagine they are likely taking away from the overall life of the car but I've yet to see a CAI blamed for engine failure.

Too, I you have an OS tuner why are you buying an Accessport? Once you're used to boost you'll want more its the nature of the beast.

No one can tell you when and if your CAI will cause your engine to blow or not. You can have a fluke engine and it blows because of a pinhole leak post-maf. Personally I'd play it safe and put back the stock intake until after the tune, or REALLY stay off boost.

And you can hear a BOV sound? Do you have a BOV too?
    Our BPVs can be as loud with an intake? Someone clarify, not gonna research this on a cell phone.

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    dan, an intake/snorkus delete will make a wooshing sound, similar to a BOV just not as loud.

desiree

I bought the cobb pretty much because I didn't know there was another option plus my tuner has quite a bit of experience with cobb and the accessport. I'm not sure if he OS tunes but either way I paid $510 for the AP plus it'll be $200 for a tune and then $60 for every retune.

I am ordering the TXS Stealthback and removing the intake today.

Anything else that is recommended for a safe stage 2?

Quote Originally Posted by RileyMac View Post
    I bought the cobb pretty much because I didn't know there was another option plus my tuner has quite a bit of experience with cobb and the accessport. I'm not sure if he OS tunes but either way I paid $510 for the AP plus it'll be $200 for a tune and then $60 for every retune.

I am ordering the TXS Stealthback and removing the intake today.

Anything else that is recommended for a safe stage 2?
    If you like the cai, you can put it back on for the tune since you're getting a protune.

Otherwise, stage 2 is just a tune and a downpipe, so you're covered there.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

In that case do you think it is worth getting the stealthback or should I just stick with a downpipe? I've found a stealthback for $500 so is the extra $250 worth it over just a DP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast