new here, need wrx help

This is a discussion on new here, need wrx help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi everyone so ive been looking for wrx for a little while now and stumbled upon a maybe hidden gem ...

new here, need wrx help

hi everyone so ive been looking for wrx for a little while now and stumbled upon a maybe hidden gem or a headche

2002 wrx 120000 miles. following upgrades

- 2002 WRX
    - 120k miles
    - 5 speed
    - TurboXS fmic
    - TurboXS turboback exhaust
    - TiAl wastegate
    - Greddy BOV
    - Cobb access port w/tune
    - Prosport oil temp and pressure gauges
    - Volk LE37s
    - SPEC clutch and flywheel
    - Swift lowering springs
    - Alpine HU and speakers
    - Prodrive front lip
    - INGS+1 sides and rear
    - Hawk hp+ brake pads
    - Just changed the spark plugs and oil, new brake pads and rotors last month, new wideband a/f sensor last week.

now im getting this for 8,500

i test drove the car, asked about leaks, checked for leaks, triple checked.. theres a thread about looking for things when buying a wrx and i combed the list rom top to bottom and found nothing wrong.. i get engine oil samples back tomorrow

his tory is he is from norway and is being deported back to his country due to his work visa ending by december 15 and needs quick sale or money for immagration lawyer

should i get it? please help.. it will be my first subaru i dont know much

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

disregarding all the information about the car and you having checked it... the situation sounds a little sketchy. its worth having a "trustworthy" mechanic you know take a look at it for a couple hundred $, rather than impulse buying it to later find that something major is wrong with it. then the guy is in norway and your completely screwed up sh**s creek.

Yea I'd look into a pre purchase inspection

When was the timing belt (and water pump etc) done? What other maintenance has been done like the struts (which are definitely due for replacement if they haven't been), fluid changes (brake, coolant, tranny, etc)?

What tune is it running with those mods? And why does it have a FMIC without a turbo swap? That seems strange, though some people do it because they don't know much about these cars and think it will help when actually it's only hurting the car's performance without a bigger turbo. I would also definitely get a compression and leakdown test done.

NADA gives clean retail value on the car at $8,175. That means the car has everything up to date on maintenance including the timing belt and all of the fluids, struts, etc plus a set of tires that have at least 75% of their tread life left. However, since this car has been so heavily modified, there's no way it can be considered clean retail and the value should be calculated at about 20% less (with all maintenance done and fresh fluids, struts, tires, etc) which puts the value at $6,540.

Contrary to popular belief, mods do NOT raise the value of a car. They at best make the value the same as regular retail, but in general they decrease the value of the car. There are some exceptions to this rule such as cars modded by Roush, RUF, or other premium tuners that are done in-house by those tuners. Another exception would be a high-end car that has had premium, correctly done mods to it (such as what's been done to my Porsche).

However, even in those cases you can at best expect to get maybe 50% at most of your investment back, but that's only if you find somebody who's looking for a car with exactly the mods you've done to it, and that's extremely difficult to find. In general it's more like 10-20% of what you spent you can expect to get back. But this car you're looking at doesn't fall into this category and as I posted above at best it's a $6,500 car.

All that being said, the general consensus is to stay away from modded Subarus, especially highly modded cars like this one. I'd definitely go with that advice myself on this car and tell you to keep on looking for another car!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Agree with above post. With that mileage your asking for trouble with those mods

As you will soon learn, a lot of younger and non intelligent wrx owners (which this guy seems to be) dog the hell out of their cars. Your best bet is to find one that has been lightly driven by someone who drove the car stock so at least you can know that they weren't wearing the car down due to clutch dumps and high speed breaking.

Hi I've had my 2002 wrx for a few years now and just started modding it up a couple months ago. I am looking for a few suggestions on wideband air/fuel sensors and digital boost controllers. I was looking at AEM but wanted to check with you guys first.

Quote Originally Posted by ICblue13 View Post
    Hi I've had my 2002 wrx for a few years now and just started modding it up a couple months ago. I am looking for a few suggestions on wideband air/fuel sensors and digital boost controllers. I was looking at AEM but wanted to check with you guys first.
    You should start your own thread, it will likely garner more attention and therefore input that way.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"