2012 WRX - Headlights / Under Seat Sub / Order Turnaround Time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX - Headlights / Under Seat Sub / Order Turnaround Time within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, I just joined today, and am hoping to get some opinions / feedback. I am ordering a car on ...

I Support ClubWRX

Question 2012 WRX - Headlights / Under Seat Sub / Order Turnaround Time

Hi,

I just joined today, and am hoping to get some opinions / feedback. I am ordering a car on Saturday.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it sucks that the HID lights are tied to the Limited package. Is it worth spending that much more money on the Limited to get them? I don't drive at night all that much, but if the stock headlights completely suck, I feel like maybe I should squeeze the wallet to get the Limited.

Does anyone hate their stock lights? Are the reasonably good?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

When ordering the car, what is a typical wait time? I saw some other posts on the forum about this ... just curious if it really is 10-12 weeks, or if that is a worst case scenario.

Lastly, does anyone have experience with the under seat sub offered by Subaru for the hatchback model?

Thanks for your answers. I am psyched to be joining the Subaru family.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't think its worth the extra money just to get the HID lights. Yea its nice to have, and they have a leveling switch too, but I can't justify the jump in price. Most people on here will tell you to get an aftermarket retrofit done if you really want HID lights. I do agree the stock lights leave something to be desired, but I quickly updated them with new bulbs, which helped out. Maybe one of these days I will do a complete retrofit, but I think you can find something useable in the meantime.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the info. What bulbs did you go with?

I went with Philips CrystalVision Ultra. They have more of a white light to them. They are a bit brighter than stock, so I am happy. Some people recommend doing an H9 swap, which allows a more powerful light to be used. It requires a simple modification, which you can look up easily enough. You just have to file down a plastic tab in the connector so it can plug in the H11 connector.

You can also do an H9 bulb. I think someone on the showoff thread did it. If I remember right it was GOMEZ.

Give it a look and see what he did to upgrade the lights

Don't bother with the Sub...that will also leave some to be desired. While it is better than years past, the aftermarket is always better for better sound quality.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I appreciate the info.

Now I am questioning some of the other options, like short shifter, trailing link bushings, transmission mount, etc.

I am a driving enthusiast for sure, and don't mind hearing a moderate level of noise in the cabin. Any thoughts on whether to go with any of these add ons? I've never ordered a car and seeing these options, I am drooling at the opportunity to stiffen up the car ... but I don't want it TOO stiff. *sigh

A lot of people on the forum will recommend getting the Kartboy short shifter and bushings aftermarket. I can't really add my opinion on the stock shifter, as my car had the short shifter already installed when I test drove it. I think its perfectly fine, but for the cost it may be better to go aftermarket. Unless of course the item is thrown in for free when you buy the car. If you don't want to deal with installing these parts yourself, than it may be a better idea to get them now. If you don't care about that you can always buy these items after the fact. The one thing I wish I could have gotten without going a model up is the winter package. While I don't care about the heated seats so much, I would like the heated mirrors. Good luck with the choices

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the feedback! Very helpful.

i bought a '12 a few months ago. it's a limited with the short throw, spt exhaust and a few other goodies. in my opinion, yes the limited is worth the extra money if you want the leather and lights. the headlights are great and i like the leather. it's easy to clean, feels good and looks good. if you have no interest in leather, then do an aftermarket hid system or upgrade the bulbs. and no matter what, the fog lights are PATHETIC!! i wish i didn't even have them on this car. would rather have the cleaner looking bumper without them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercaster View Post
    the fog lights are PATHETIC!! i wish i didn't even have them on this car. would rather have the cleaner looking bumper without them.
    Have you tried leveling the lights? Also try better bulbs. I did both & mine are a lot better.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

i have upgraded the bulbs, but not adjusted the lights at all. they still just don't throw much light at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    Car ordered! Now the 10-12 week wait begins. Thanks for the feedback, it was very helpful!

congrats on the order!! but seriously, your not even going to tell us what you wound up ordering? details friend!!!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok, absolutely ... I ordered a 2013 base model with a short throw shifter, boost gauge and a few other misc. goodies.

I left off the additional mechanical options because during my research and talking to some gear head friends, it seemed like for a daily driver on mixed, ****ty/half decent roads, the stock suspension and transmission mounts was the way to go.

I cannot wait to get out of my Camry! My previous car was a WS6 TA, and was a blast to drive. A money pit, but fun. I sold it and got the Camry because I needed to protect myself financially. Now it's time to enjoy a new, fast, reliable ride.

Have a good one!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast