Boost in gears?

This is a discussion on Boost in gears? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This may be a complete noob question, but are there limits on how much boost there is available in the ...

Boost in gears?

This may be a complete noob question, but are there limits on how much boost there is available in the different gears?

I'm breaking mine in, and have 400+ miles on it now, but have on occasion run up to about 5lbs of boost on the gauge in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears. Never for very long, but then I remembered something about the amount of boost being depending on the gear you are in.

I've been very careful in 1st and 2nd not to get into boost, but did not know if I should be doing things differently or if I'm doing it right.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's fine, just remember not to cruise at one RPM.. Boost is dependent on load, so at WOT the car will make the most boost in 5th gear, less boost in 3rd, less in 2nd, and even less in 1st.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure I was not running it too hard during break-in.

I Support ClubWRX
    For the record, in (at least the newer) models, there are per gear tables in the tune. These allow you to adjust your maximum duty cycle and target boost in each gear if done carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Different gears also allow for different amounts of load placed on the engine. This will affect boost. You'll see peak/highest boost possibly in 3rd gear, but especially in 4th when at WOT.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    A little bit of boost is good for the car during break-in.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for all the responses!! First turbo car for me, and I didn't think I was running harder than I should be....but thought I'd ask to confirm. Right now I'm getting close to 500 miles and have been running it as smooth as I can, keeping max revs to about 4k and varying the revs.

I've got the SPT boost gauge and have not had it go over 5lbs so far.

Going to upstate PA for Thanksgiving....and taking mostly back roads (all there is in PA...lol). Should get a good workout going up over the mountains.