Introducing djk5077

This is a discussion on Introducing djk5077 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Greetings all, I'll start by saying that it was about this time last year that I started getting the itch ...

Introducing djk5077

Greetings all,

I'll start by saying that it was about this time last year that I started getting the itch to change up the car I was driving. I looked around at a number of cars I've always kinda liked, both new and used, but wasn't real serious about it. Besides, there were a number of little things I wanted to fix/tune up/etc... on the current car and I would have been perfectly happy with it for quite a while longer. Then in early February of this year, I smashed the car up a bit.

I don't recommend doing this. It did save me from spending the money fixing/upgrading/replacing things though. Needless to say, a new vehicle was now required.

One vehicle being considered was the wrx, as a friend was really liking his '04. (and I enjoyed riding in it!) When I had first looked at new ones, I was really liking the dark gray color. A few months down the road now, I noticed they added the plasma blue for '12. I felt I might like this color even more, but it was hard to tell as the colors on the Subaru website are not very representative of the real color. So, I went to the Pittsburgh Auto Show in mid-February and just my luck, this was there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0217122021a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	109973

I spent a few minutes (and by that I mean probably close to an hour) checking it out. Talked with one of the Subaru reps there and got a discount couple emailed to me, you know just in case I might REALLY like the car. So, a couple days later I started checking the local dealer websites to see what they had. There wasn't too much to be had, as one of the dealers told me most people just order their cars. I wasn't real comfortable doing that without having really sampled the car. Time also wasn't on my side, as my parents wanted their loaner back. Then one popped up on the website for Baierl Subaru of Wexford, and I thought that seems like the one that was at the show. As it turns out, it was. The saleslady (Bev, I highly recommend her) told me that they received all of the cars from the show for having sold the most Subarus of any dealer in Pittsburgh in January. I had always kinda thought that local dealers supplied the cars for auto shows, but brand new ones are shipped in and then given to the local dealers.

All this time though, I had also been thinking that I should probably get a cheaper, better on gas car. I had no trouble getting 30 mpg out of the old Passat and I was afraid of what insurance bills and the like would be due to the accident. Eventually, I came to my senses and realized I can't be driving econo-crap at this stage in my life. Or ever really for that matter. I'm a car guy, I've got to have something cool, noteworthy, fun. I also then looked at a '02 rally blue wagon. It had the rally armor mudflaps, bike rack, winter and summer wheel and tire sets, and the short throw shifter. The first three I would certainly be getting on any other car and the last a possibility. I was really torn between this and the brand new car. First looked at the wagon on a Thursday. Called the guy back on Friday to see if I could come look at it again with my dad and brother on Saturday, then we'd go look at the new one as well, but he told me he had just sold it. So, on Saturday we just went right to the dealer, took a little drive, and worked out the details. The next Thursday I picked up the car. It's a plasma blue pearl 2012 wrx premium trim with the armrest extension and door molding accessories. I didn't spec these as it was the show car, but both are nice to have and I may have picked them myself anyway. I went back about a month later and got the all-weather floor mats as well. I should also note that before I bought the car I signed up for a membership at Costco. There was some sort of deal, I can't recall if it was just that Subaru dealer or all of Baierl's dealers or what, but a 55 dollar one year membership knocked 500 dollars off the price of the car. Definitely ask about this if you're buying a Subaru in the Pittsburgh area (and possibly elsewhere)

It's my first new car, first car in my name, first Subaru and first vehicle anybody in my family has owned probably since before I was born that isn't FWD. And I must say, it's been great. Prior to making my purchase, I did a lot of reading up on the car. I also did a good bit of searching around after I got the car for ideas/advice/etc... on things to tweak, mod, and so on. I found I wound up on these forums a lot, so a couple weeks ago I decided I'd join and try to contribute a little bit. Anyways, here's a few more pics for those who don't like reading. The first is the only one I have of the car completely stock. It took me all of three days of ownership to order mudflaps and bike racks. The next few are with the mudflaps installed. And the last couple are as it stands now with bike racks and window tint.

Name:	IMG_2392.JPG 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	109966

Name:	IMG_2462.JPG 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	109967

Name:	IMG_2510.JPG 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	109968

Name:	IMG_2534.JPG 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	109969

Name:	IMG_2735.JPG 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	109970

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	109972

Sorry for the long-winded back story. I tend to be very thorough about things, my writing in particular. Anyways, glad to be here!

- Dave
    Last edited by djk5077; 11-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Beautiful car
    Welcome man

Congrats and welcome! I may be in the minority, but I like a nice long winded post
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i enjoyed reading the story, gives me some insight on how people chose subarus. I myself drove my uncles stage 2 when i was 16 and fell in love because i as well had only driven FWD cars.

Welcome and congrats with the successful purchase.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.