The Nooob With the Scoooob, & 06 WRX Emissions question.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on The Nooob With the Scoooob, & 06 WRX Emissions question. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy Fellas! I've been in CO for a year now for work. Just recently bought a beautiful 06 WRX from ...

Howdy Fellas!

I've been in CO for a year now for work. Just recently bought a beautiful 06 WRX from Miami, FL. My old 4runner passed emissions, But I'm pretty sure this suby will not. I'm new to the tree hugging emission regs, hehe. My Temp tag runs out on the 9th of Nov

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subby.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	109133

::RAMBLING:::WARNING::::RAMBLING:::::WARNING

The upgrades I know of;
    -STI Turbo
    -3" Cat back (not sure what brand)
    -Bigger fuel injectors
    -A tune (FOR 93 OCTANE IN MIAMI!!!) that's locked (EcuTek?) and stopping me from tuning for Colorado

MY CONCERN;

I've read that the Cat in the up-pipe was ditched in the 06+ model WRX. I called a local guy who says he will put a stock up pipe in for $200 to pass, then come back to remove. I don't know if it's that simple though. I read the up pipe in the 06 doesn't have a cat!

My main question is, Can I just buy a 3" universal hi-flo Cat, Have it welded on, & pass emissions??? I would rather do this than go to the shop mentioned above.

Any advice appreciated, you fellas have some beautiful cars.. Can't wait to get involved & learn more about my new ride!!

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome.

i know absolutely nothing about emissions since i'm in FL, but how can they fail you for not having a catted uppipe even though its like that from the factory? are you sure you didnt fail your inspection due to a catless downpipe?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    06+ do not have catted uppipes from the factory. You wouldn't fail for that. As Dez said it is most likely for not having a catted downpipe.

How do they test cars in Colorado? Here in Tennessee they just run an OBD2 scan. I'm guessing you guys are getting a sniffer test as well.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 10-24-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You have Brembos too...

You keep saying "fellas" yet the first person to reply is a girl =P

All the above is correct. 06+ lost the catted uppipe, you do not need to have it replaced. And 02-05 should have it removed as it only aids in cold start-up emissions.
    You will not pass emissions testing in CO with a high flow CAT, read:
    WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!!

Your best bet is to get rid of the EcuTek(new ECU maybe), find a stock downpipe... scratch that. You have an upgraded turbo. Stock downpiple trick wont work for ya.... just find a shady smog test station pay the worker off in beer and hookers.

Move to FL again.
    Find a new ECU. Stock exhaust

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm... Wish I knew someone that lived in colorado... that would write about emissions equipment... That has a 430whp car that just passed emissions on pump gas... JaiOhIn. Give me a PM. If you want help figuring out what's going on, and you're near me, I'm more than happy to help you figure things out. It'd be easier to just look at the car in person, and see what's going on. I can also help you figure out what's aftermarket on your car. Because it looks like you have a lot more on there than you think.

Also... feel free to read this (as posted above). I wrote it after a lot of research I had to do about emissions once I started getting over the top with my modifications.
    WARNING FOR BUYING CATTED DOWNPIPES!!!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks LADIES & Fellas.. for the replies! And yeah, I was a bit modest about the upgrades but I really don't know exactly what all was done because the first owner did it all :/. The guy I got it from said it would walk away from stock 06-07 STI's all day. Also, I blew the clutch the 2nd day and had stage 2 put in .. Dan.. PMing you right about...MEOW. And I don't understand up & down pipe exactly.. I know one comes off the turbo and goes... Down.. hahaha.. Thanks again all! Hopefully Danny can help me out!

Or Sinister... Not you Dan, Ooopsy
    Last edited by JaiOhIn; 10-24-2012 at 11:54 PM.

hell have fun then.!

Great response Ethan, consider it done.

Quote Originally Posted by JaiOhIn View Post
    Thanks LADIES & Fellas.. for the replies! And yeah, I was a bit modest about the upgrades but I really don't know exactly what all was done because the first owner did it all :/. The guy I got it from said it would walk away from stock 06-07 STI's all day. Also, I blew the clutch the 2nd day and had stage 2 put in .. Dan.. PMing you right about...MEOW. And I don't understand up & down pipe exactly.. I know one comes off the turbo and goes... Down.. hahaha.. Thanks again all! Hopefully Danny can help me out!

Or Sinister... Not you Dan, Ooopsy
    Here's a handy diagram to help out with the "what's where" question.

If Sinister can meet up with you, he'll be able to tell you a lot about your car from looking at it in person. If that doesn't work out, I'd recommend taking some pics of the engine bay and exhaust under the car if possible and posting them up for the guys here to take a look at.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Ahh nice Calvin, that helps. Now I'm worried about an ecu check for O2 sensors.. Im not sure if mine are still on :/..Hopefully sin can help out. A buddy at work is talking about how racing fuel helped him pass, but he has a NA Mustang lol.
    Last edited by JaiOhIn; 10-25-2012 at 02:39 PM.

So haven't heard back from Sinister yet so, here are a few pics... Clearly an Invidia DP.. not sure about the rest. Any opinions or comments about passing emissions appreciated!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DPfar.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	109155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FromBack.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	109156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InvidiaDP.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	109157Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnderHood.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	109158

I Support ClubWRX

PM'd you back. Maybe meet tues? I also have a trick for breaking that locked ECU...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Just got back to ya, Tuesday is purrrrfect. I sent ya my number so just give me a shout! And Unlock the ecu-tek tune too? Are you a god Sinister? lol ALL HAIL SINISTER

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.