Cold-Air Intake??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cold-Air Intake??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; With the perrin foam CAI, you need to oil and clean it quite often, along with cleaning your MAF at ...

With the perrin foam CAI, you need to oil and clean it quite often, along with cleaning your MAF at the same time. You can get kits for both of these items, but it is more maintenance than the AEM. I do suggest a pre-filter if possible for either intake.

That being said, I like the foam filter more (it's my preference - not sure why), and I plan on cleaning them every time I change my oil (probably switching between 2 filters), so it's not the end of the world. You do need custom tuning for that intake (either from Perrin or from TP), that isn't directly supported from Cobb.

My personal opinions for the best ones to look at are the AEM, Cobb w/box, or Perrin.

As for good BPVs (I won't even address straight BOVs - they are a no-no), you can get the Forge BPV which is what I have, and I love it. Cobb also makes a nice hybrid valve (last I checked) that might let you get that noise you are after while minimizing the rich condition (although not removing it from what I can tell). Just my two cents.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The BOV is only going to decrease your power. If anything someone once said you really only need a BOV if you are pushing 20-24+ PSI.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac View Post
    The BOV is only going to decrease your power. If anything someone once said you really only need a BOV if you are pushing 20-24+ PSI.
    what?!
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac
    An aftermarket valve isn't really going to affect power, as long as it's setup properly and maintained; it only comes into play when you're off-throttle. Not long after getting back on the throttle, AFRs will be back to normal.

The newer plastic valves that come on the '08+ cars are more prone to leaking than the metal ones that came on the '02-'07 cars, and need to be replaced sooner. Some leak during custom StageII mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck
    That being said, I like the foam filter more (it's my preference - not sure why), and I plan on cleaning them every time I change my oil (probably switching between 2 filters), so it's not the end of the world. You do need custom tuning for that intake (either from Perrin or from TP), that isn't directly supported from Cobb.

My personal opinions for the best ones to look at are the AEM, Cobb w/box, or Perrin.
    The problem with foam filters is that they don't filter as well as paper alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck
    As for good BPVs (I won't even address straight BOVs - they are a no-no), you can get the Forge BPV which is what I have, and I love it. Cobb also makes a nice hybrid valve (last I checked) that might let you get that noise you are after while minimizing the rich condition (although not removing it from what I can tell). Just my two cents.
    Forge is a popular valve upgrade on the '08+ vehicles.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I just remember reading something about BOV's causing you to run rich and then hearing that you should only use them when pushing beyong 20+ psi. So I thought.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: Cold-Air Intake???

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneManiac
    I just remember reading something about BOV's causing you to run rich and then hearing that you should only use them when pushing beyong 20+ psi. So I thought.
    A properly setup and maintained valve only comes into play when it vents, which occurs on throttle lift. Because fueling has already been determined by MAFv, it will run slightly rich momentarily. As long as your stock valve can handle the target boost, an aftermarket valve does nothing of benefit for you.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-23-2012 at 12:42 PM.

UNYSOC

The worst part is it will make you run slightly rich. When I had my hybrid TurboXS on, I never noticed any engine problems with it though. But they're just there for noise, no benefit to performance.

I hate psshhht makers and will never ever ever put one on any of my cars.. AEM intake is a good one. I have a K&N Typhoon, heard some bad things about it, heard some good things about it, just cant remember wither of them.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

Cold-Air Intake???

Agency Power, Carbon

i live central call it rains a lot i have a injen cold air. my air cleaner is 8.5 inches off the ground. i hane no inter finders. dont do this !!! it works if your very very care full. had mine for years. get a short ram keep it under the hood. if you got smog make sure it meats the rules. less you like takeing it out offten to smog check. other wise just put it on an drive. you dont have to remap your car. thats bug.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ethanesmay
    i live central call it rains a lot i have a injen cold air. my air cleaner is 8.5 inches off the ground. i hane no inter finders. dont do this !!! it works if your very very care full. had mine for years. get a short ram keep it under the hood. if you got smog make sure it meats the rules. less you like takeing it out offten to smog check. other wise just put it on an drive. you dont have to remap your car. thats bug.
    1) IAT sensor is in the MAF sensor. A heat-soaked intake can cause your car to pull timing based on the IAT compensation tables. Unless you add an aftermarket IAT sensor post-I/C, I would advise against a SRI that doesn't isolate the filter.
    2) Injen intakes absolutely do require rescaling of the MAF table.

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12