No WRX in the near future.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on No WRX in the near future. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, some of you might remember me from the thread "Is a wrx right for me?". Anyways, i have ...

Hey guys, some of you might remember me from the thread "Is a wrx right for me?". Anyways, i have decided that the wrx would be a bad first car, due to the insurance, and the overall power for a first time driver is probably too much. Even though i really want one, i have chosen to look at other cars. My plan is to enjoy this car for a few years till the insurance becomes more acceptable, then deciding if the wrx is a good fit.

So my question to you, even though it may be off-topic, is what is a good car for a "beginner" that is still a blast to drive, but more controlled. Also, it cant have a turbo (parents and insurance don't like). I thank you for any responses!

EDIT: it doesnt have to be a new car!
    Last edited by DSfriscoe; 10-25-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    Hope to one day be the owner of a WRX!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What about an Impreza?
    2010 WRX Pr. - All Stock -

"Great Scotts!" -Doc

06-11 Civic Si (low torque is good for new drivers). It doesn't make as much power but its still peppy, and will outhandle the WRX.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    2.5rs, miata (also great for learning 5speed), newer vw rabbit

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

^^ I wouldn't recommend a Miata for a new driver.

New drivers are statistically more likely to get into minor and major accidents, a convertible is exponentially more dangerous in those accidents.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Mazda 3's are good practical cars that are pretty fun to drive. I've had a couple myself. Would be a great fit for you. I recommend the hatch for styling and practicality.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

My other half drives a 2012 Impreza Sport hatch. Its a 2.0 with the CVT. Even when driven like a stolen car it averages 30PMG, is safe, AWD, and handles great.

2013 Subaru Impreza with GTX Package | Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru - New & Used Subaru Dealer NY, NJ, CT

I always thought that package that that dealership offers is really neat. Now, it is only just an Impreza, but it is perfect for this situation. You are looking for a good beginner car, but you love the WRX's and STi's, well this is the same car, without the performance aspect, and it has some uniqueness to it how you can customize parts of it. Honestly if you're looking for a sports car still, don't get it, but if youre set on a WRX in the future, this will also help familiarize yourself with a Subaru, and when you eventually get yourself a WRX you can see what difference there were. (Besides, that things prolly just as good in the snow as the WRX's)

I Support ClubWRX

Any thing from Honda/Acura 94-2002.Civic SI, Accord, S2000, Integra/RSX, Prelude.

These were the "glory" years for the company and each of those cars are unique in their own way and a blast to drive. Repair cost on them is low and they are super reliable if maintained properly. Personally, my first 3 cars were from this group 2 Preludes and an Integra.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    2013 Subaru Impreza with GTX Package | Bill Kolb Jr. Subaru - New & Used Subaru Dealer NY, NJ, CT

I always thought that package that that dealership offers is really neat. Now, it is only just an Impreza, but it is perfect for this situation. You are looking for a good beginner car, but you love the WRX's and STi's, well this is the same car, without the performance aspect, and it has some uniqueness to it how you can customize parts of it. Honestly if you're looking for a sports car still, don't get it, but if youre set on a WRX in the future, this will also help familiarize yourself with a Subaru, and when you eventually get yourself a WRX you can see what difference there were. (Besides, that things prolly just as good in the snow as the WRX's)
    Mike I would highly recommend against anyone buying those "gtx" cars. They use super cheap vinyl covers on those cars and the seats deteriorate rapidly. Also check some reviews on that dealer in general they are a tricky bunch, check their dealer review page on NASIOC. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103585 Of all the local dealers in our area my customers have more horror stories about that dealership than anyone else far and away. I do think the Impreza 2.0i is a great choice though, I'd just get it somewhere else and if you want to customize it a little do it on your own, don't settle for the cheapest parts money can buy marked way up by a dealer.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Any thing from Honda/Acura 94-2002.Civic SI, Accord, S2000, Integra/RSX, Prelude.

These were the "glory" years for the company and each of those cars are unique in their own way and a blast to drive. Repair cost on them is low and they are super reliable if maintained properly. Personally, my first 3 cars were from this group 2 Preludes and an Integra.
    I agree with all of those except the s2k, at that point a beginner driver might as well get a WRX.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by DSfriscoe View Post
    Hey guys, some of you might remember me from the thread "Is a wrx right for me?". Anyways, i have decided that the wrx would be a bad first car, due to the insurance, and the overall power for a first time driver is probably too much. Even though i really want one, i have chosen to look at other cars. My plan is to enjoy this car for a few years till the insurance becomes more acceptable, then deciding if the wrx is a good fit.

So my question to you, even though it may be off-topic, is what is a good car for a "beginner" that is still a blast to drive, but more controlled. Also, it cant have a turbo (parents and insurance don't like). I thank you for any responses!

EDIT: it doesnt have to be a new car!
    first, i want to applaud you for being mature enough to know that you need more experience before jumping into a higher power car. that maturity could save your life and the lives of others. well done.

next, the base impreza seems nice, and i always enjoyed my mazda when i had it. i test drove a mazda 3, and liked it a lot. fun peppy car.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    I agree with all of those except the s2k, at that point a beginner driver might as well get a WRX.
    The only reason I put the S2000 in that group is because of the AP1s (the first gen). Yes they are a sports car but, they are a little down on the HP and still very nimble. The AP1s are no where near the level of a WRX in my opinion.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

argh, i keep going back and forth whether a wrx would be a good fit, or if i should get a different ride!

First off, thanks for the suggestions! My main holdup is that i will be keeping this car for probably 5-6 years if i want to be realistic, and by that point, i certainly would be able to handle the car. The wrx just hits all the points on my checklist, and is relatively cheap (for a new one that is). Also, the wrx has a great community, which you cant say the same for 99% of other cars.

Can i please get some totally honest opinions, that if you were in my spot, what would you do?
    Hope to one day be the owner of a WRX!

Re: No WRX in the near future

IHere is an honest opinion.... take it with a grain of salt.

I currently have a 2012 WRX and the 2012 Impreza Sport Premium and they are both cars. I've owned a 2007 Impreza, a 2007 WRX, and a 2008 Outback. Credibility in place so here I go...

Subaru's are great cars, but they aren't cheap. Obviously cost matters to you as you've stated previously regarding insurance etc. Proper maintenance and upkeep is pricey for any car, even more so comparing the current WRX to the current Impreza. The current Impreza has a zero maintenance automatic tranny and a timing chain. Everyone that has put any mileage on a Subaru knows that you should replace the timing belt around 100K. I've heard rumors at the dealer ship that WRX's may switch to a timing chain instead of belt in a few years.

Cheers to you for being a responsible first time buyer ;-) If I had the foresight that you seem to have I would do the following: By a current model Impreza w/ CVT. I'd drive that sucker into the ground for 5-6 years while it joyfully sips gas and saves money. At the same time, make some extra payments, save up, and later trade it in on a brand new WRX or STI. At that point you will likely be making more money and will be able to enjoy upgrading the car.

One of my first cars was a used 88 IROC and all of y money went to insurance and gas, never had much left over for mods.
    Last edited by himuraken; 10-20-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast