Cobalt SS Turbocharged to WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS Turbocharged to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all - First and foremost, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I'm new to the ...

Cobalt SS Turbocharged to WRX

Hello all - First and foremost, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I'm new to the forums. I do not own a WRX and my first Subaru I've ever owned was a 1985 Wagon. It was a damn good first car I presently finance a 2009 Cobalt SS it's currently rockin' about 400hp to the crank and my last dyno measured 360whp/407wtq on a dynojet quarter 1 of this year. I'm running a new tune (HPTuner for those that know) and I should have more HP and torque than my last dyno, but I'm not sure. It could be a mental gain, but I won't know until I re-dyno. I had planned on going E85 this coming spring, but this may not be something to pursue anymore however, I'm looking to upgrade to a car with more refinement and functionality. At this point in my life, I need more doors and a better daily drive.

My Cobalt SS Turbocharged, it's a fun car, but it's cheap. No hiding that and 3 years ago I wanted a cheap fast car and after reading that the Cobalt SS Turbocharged was the fastest production FWD car in America I decided to go get it. There's more to it than that, but I'll leave out the details so I'm not making a massive post about my life story.

I hate to intrude on your forums like this for a silly question, but I'm curious about the WRX and know very little. I've watched reviews on youtube and they rant and rave about it, but give little outside the initial review. I know I can ask Cobalt SS Turbo folk, but how credible can an opinion from someone that doesn't own the car be? It can be logical and make sense, but I feel owners would be the way to go. Sure bias' can show it's ugly head with owners, but I'm not exactly looking to get an unbiased opinion. I'm here to hear all the good bad and the ugly. Opinions for and against. I'm all ears basically...

I made a similar thread in other platform forums and heard what they had to say about their cars and mine (some good some bad)

Anyway I registered today to ask you if you can please give me advice, I know most of you don't know me and most of you may not care to, so I'm appreciative for the ones that spend a couple minutes giving me their experiences with the WRX and answer the following questions.

I'm currently a full time student, and I don't have a very solid income at the moment due to my lay off with GE Energy as a research development tech, but I have enough in savings as well as severance to fund a WRX if need be. Plus the unknown amount I'd get for selling the Cobalt.

1. My Cobalt is about to be paid off, if you were in my shoes and knowing what you know about the WRX, would you make effort to get in one, or just ride out the Cobalt until you're finished with school?
    2. As I mature, I find the functionality of a hatchback highly desirable; GTI, MS3, Focus ST and WRX are viable candidates. If you had a choice what would you go for and why?
    3. Why do you guys hate my Cobalt so much lol, I seem to get more crap from you guys than anyone. I live in Colorado and when I meet WRX folk (win or lose), I can't seem to get a break. Not that I care, but just curious why do you hate an object that is meaningless? I know presumptious of me, and I apologize if I offend.
    4. What are some things I should look for in buying a used WRX. I'm looking for a Hatchback version, but if I must, I'd consider an older sedan as well.
    5. How is theft in the world of WRX? I used to be a Honda guy back in the day and I left due to several attempts on my car. Headaches and frustration a plenty.
    6. With the Cobalt, modding it properly can increase reliablilty (GMs decision to use cheap parts were replaced with quality ones) How does modding a WRX (if done properly) effect this cars reliability?
    7. Is there a quieter exhaust available. All Subies I've seen are loud and obnoxious.
    8. Maintenance costs on average
    9. If you were a Cobalt owner, can you please let me know what you feel presently about the switch.
    10. I race at the track and very rarely indulge in street races (but have occasionally) and launching my FWD with this much power is a pain, it's safe to assume that this won't be an issue with the WRX, how easy is it to get to 310-330AWHP and what will my launching experience be at that level?
    11. Insurance for some reason on the SS/TC is higher than hell! Are you guys upset or happy with your insurance rate?
    12. Any advice is welcome, please PM me or post anything and I'll listen.
    13. ***Last Minute Add on*** Is the 2008 that bad? I kept hearing people say don't do the 2008 etc. Why is this

Thanks all

Respectfully,

Michael S aka Vahdyx
    Last edited by vahdyx; 03-29-2013 at 11:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

1. Thats only a decision you can make. I'd make priority finding a job over getting a new car.
    2. WRX because racecar
    3. Because redneck
    4. 08s have smaller turbos than the 09+ and some of the engines were built like crap
    5. Who steals Subarus?
    6. LOL Subaru and reliability
    7. How can you not like the rumble?
    8. Same as any other 4 banger.
    9. N/C
    10. If you launch a WRX your transmission is going to hate you
    11. Happy? No I wish I didn't have to pay for it.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    1. Thats only a decision you can make. I'd make priority finding a job over getting a new car.
    2. WRX because racecar
    3. Because redneck
    4. 08s have smaller turbos than the 09+ and some of the engines were built like crap
    5. Who steals Subarus?
    6. LOL Subaru and reliability
    7. How can you not like the rumble?
    8. Same as any other 4 banger.
    9. N/C
    10. If you launch a WRX your transmission is going to hate you
    11. Happy? No I wish I didn't have to pay for it.
    Haha, well I'm not redneck but I think I know what you're getting at and good to know about the tranny
    Last edited by vahdyx; 10-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    1. +1 to maus' comment. Focus on employment, then worry about a new car. The job market is a big question mark for many, these days, and you don't want to saddle more debt 'til you know what's what.

2.All 4 of those have strong points. You clearly like enthusiast cars, so I would recommend driving each car, to see what's important to you. I'm not a big fan of high-powered FWD cars, so the WRX appeals to me, in that group. You mileage may vary! Each of those cars has their fans.

3.Because testosterone. Young guys "choose sides" with regards to cars, and pick apart other people's choices. The Cobalt SS was highly praised by reviewers for it's handling and value. I can completely understand picking one up for fun and modding. I'm over 40 with a family, so I don't waste time criticizing people for having a different car. Who cares?

4.Check out the vehicle for sale forum. It has a good stickied thread.

5.Probably a better situation than with Honda's. Don't know statistics.

6.A properly maintained, non-thrashed Subaru will be quite reliable. (generally) Modding does not make the car more reliable. Increasing output on a mechanical device rarely does.

7.Many options. I use the stock catback on a fairly modded engine, because I like quiet.

8.Depends upon how you treat it.

9. NA

10.The WRX really isn't intended to be a dragster. The transmission will eventually make you pay if you are at the strip every weekend, putting down 330whp.

Best of luck with deciding what to do!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Buy a 2011+ thats when they started putting the widebody on the WRX. 08-10 are very mild looking (carolla looking) even ugly. I just purchased a 2013 WRX hatchback and have no regrets.

I Support ClubWRX
    DO IT!! You'll love the platform after coming from a fwd no doubt.

Nuff said.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

While 2008s had a newer, albeit boring body style just the same as the 2009 and 2010 models, they also had the same performance as the previous generation (02-07 WRXs, all having the rated 227hp). In 2009 and after, they added the VF52 turbo, bumping the power figured up to 265hp rated and more torque. That's why you'd be better off staying away from the 2008s.

A lot of the flak towards Cobalt owners comes from the fact that they were rather cheaply attainable by younger drivers compared to WRXs and STIs. Meaning that demographic had more of the untouchable attitude...and were generally more irresponsible: just like the rep Neon SRT-4 drivers used to get. While it may be off base and a stereotype, a lot of stereotypes happen for a reason. That and because most domestic products are generally garbage (even though the Cobalt SS and even the SRT-4s did perform very well for FWD cheap domestics). Sad to say the WRX is now turning into that same mantra as the older gens (02-06 and so on) are much more easily affordable to the young generations. Even a lot of us "veterans" to the Subaru game see this happening. Quite a shame really.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    also the 09+ got stiffer springs, bushings and bigger and stabilizer bars.

Welcome!!!

I am a fellow (previous) balt owner. I now have a 12 Hatch WRX. Although, mine was only the 2.4 NA model. I loved my car, and from time to time I see one and miss it. But I do love my rex more.A Out situations sound very similar so I can share my experience with you.

1. I wouldn't do it without a job..awesome car but you don't wanna lose it either.
    2. Hatchback ftw! I agree with the maturity part and the hatch is definitely the way to go. You'd be amazed at the functionality of the hatch. I have never had issues fitting stuff in my car. Get the wrx. Good in the snow and awesome power. Can't beat it.

3. Love the balts still!! I do Notice alot of hate for them in this community though..

4. Get the hatch, '11+ if you can. The power and looks Are definitely worth it. I would honestly say go new. I did Because The price of the used WRXS I found was literally the same price as anew one with more miles. Shop around.

5 No attempts so far..

6 the sad part of the WRX is the transmission. Too much power can make them too weak.

7 SPT. I have it and love it. Loud enough for a rumble But quiet enough to hear on the highway without yelling( unlike my cobalt. I don't miss that.)

8. Only done one oil change so far

9 Love it!!

10 launching, I hear is not the best because of the weak transmission. I'm honestly so afraid that Ihaven't launched my car once yet. Sad in away that one advantage to the wrx is the awd launch...yet Ican't use it?

11. My insurance is high because of tickets =/

13. Yes. Much slower than 09+ and the 08-10 is much more plain looking. 11+ has the awesome wide body style of the 08+ STI

Anything else just ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    A lot of the flak towards Cobalt owners comes from the fact that they were rather cheaply attainable by younger drivers compared to WRXs and STIs. Meaning that demographic had more of the untouchable attitude...and were generally more irresponsible: just like the rep Neon SRT-4 drivers used to get. While it may be off base and a stereotype, a lot of stereotypes happen for a reason. That and because most domestic products are generally garbage (even though the Cobalt SS and even the SRT-4s did perform very well for FWD cheap domestics). Sad to say the WRX is now turning into that same mantra as the older gens (02-06 and so on) are much more easily affordable to the young generations. Even a lot of us "veterans" to the Subaru game see this happening. Quite a shame really.
    I understand that completely and see where you're coming from. I wanted the Cobalt primarily because it was coined "the fastest production FWD car in America" and thought it'd be a cool car to mod. Like I stated earlier; there's more to it than just that, but it was indeed a selling point for me. That said, I typically keep it off the streets, and the primary use of my car is transportations. 90% of my driving is legal and I know that's even sad to say, but I do indulge in stuff here and there. To give a perspective of my driving habits is my car is a 2009 was obtained with 1000 miles and now has 27,000 miles on it. Should be in the range of 45,000, but I don't drive unless I need to. I typically go WOT say less than once a month (every other month) and my last street race was recent, but far in-between. I visit Bandimere (our local track) a lot and this is where I talk to a lot of folks about their cars. Typically waiting in line.

Approaching WRX/STI folk coming from my Cobalt feels like I'm about to get murdered. Like a preppy kid that accidentally walks into a biker bar. Its like I'm not welcome and I'm a very sophisticated easy going person. I know like you said; "stereotypes". I've very cool people that own WRX/STIs and some even inquire about my car.

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses. It seems like getting a WRX would be a great car to get and launching it isn't the best idea (guess the folks at the track don't care?) and if I got one, it'd primarily be stock anyway. I'm never gonna be done modding perhaps I'm holding on to my 20s as much as possible (I'm 30) but it's becoming less important.

Thanks again all.

I'm a pretty new owner of an '11 WRX, and I love it. Having a quick hatch back with go anywhere AWD is so nice. Can't really say anything about modifying as I am buying a house and that'll have to wait :/. Though I can speak on insurance, it isn't bad at all. I went from paying 100 a month on a KIA Koup, to 85 on my WRX... Go figure.

You also mentioned that you SS will be paid off soon, so you have to ask "do you really need/want a new car?". If so, hell yeah you won't regret it.
    '11 WRX DGM

Okay, I've never really heard of 'launching' until I got my WRX and signed up here, so what is launching? Slamming it into 1st gear via popping the clutch at a high rpm?

I think I can understand why that would be harder on an AWD car, but can I still fly out of first without popping the clutch and not damage the tranny all that much?

I usually give it a smooth (sometimes quicker than others) start, and then gas it once I'm in gear....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I usually give it a smooth (sometimes quicker than others) start, and then gas it once I'm in gear....
    Do that and you will be fine. Launching is when you have the clutch down, bring up the revs, and dump the clutch to take off like a bat out of hell. On a rwd or fwd its ok, but its a no no for your subie.

As far as I know, When you drop the clutch in a FWD or RWD car the tires will spin...burn out..... In our AWD we will not experience such a tire spin, which will allow the car to hook up and take off quicker than if the tires were to spin. Problem is if the tires aren't breaking loose due to the power........what is. clutch??? Tranny??? As long as you don't have the RPMs turning at a rapid rate then fully hook up the clutch at a stand still you should be ok. As for the best way to take race without "launching"........I am still uncertain of that and any suggestions would be welcomed to me.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

I recently went from a scion tC to a 05 wrx and its a night and day difference the thing is like a gocart basically to me think of it as the next step up I know I got alot of hate in my tC but it was nice to me but a wrx/sti is a new creature completely. Go for it if you want it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast