Hello all - First and foremost, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Michael and I'm new to the forums. I do not own a WRX and my first Subaru I've ever owned was a 1985 Wagon. It was a damn good first car I presently finance a 2009 Cobalt SS it's currently rockin' about 400hp to the crank and my last dyno measured 360whp/407wtq on a dynojet quarter 1 of this year. I'm running a new tune (HPTuner for those that know) and I should have more HP and torque than my last dyno, but I'm not sure. It could be a mental gain, but I won't know until I re-dyno. I had planned on going E85 this coming spring, but this may not be something to pursue anymore however, I'm looking to upgrade to a car with more refinement and functionality. At this point in my life, I need more doors and a better daily drive.
My Cobalt SS Turbocharged, it's a fun car, but it's cheap. No hiding that and 3 years ago I wanted a cheap fast car and after reading that the Cobalt SS Turbocharged was the fastest production FWD car in America I decided to go get it. There's more to it than that, but I'll leave out the details so I'm not making a massive post about my life story.
I hate to intrude on your forums like this for a silly question, but I'm curious about the WRX and know very little. I've watched reviews on youtube and they rant and rave about it, but give little outside the initial review. I know I can ask Cobalt SS Turbo folk, but how credible can an opinion from someone that doesn't own the car be? It can be logical and make sense, but I feel owners would be the way to go. Sure bias' can show it's ugly head with owners, but I'm not exactly looking to get an unbiased opinion. I'm here to hear all the good bad and the ugly. Opinions for and against. I'm all ears basically...
I made a similar thread in other platform forums and heard what they had to say about their cars and mine (some good some bad)
Anyway I registered today to ask you if you can please give me advice, I know most of you don't know me and most of you may not care to, so I'm appreciative for the ones that spend a couple minutes giving me their experiences with the WRX and answer the following questions.
I'm currently a full time student, and I don't have a very solid income at the moment due to my lay off with GE Energy as a research development tech, but I have enough in savings as well as severance to fund a WRX if need be. Plus the unknown amount I'd get for selling the Cobalt.
- My Cobalt is about to be paid off, if you were in my shoes and knowing what you know about the WRX, would you make effort to get in one, or just ride out the Cobalt until you're finished with school?
- As I mature, I find the functionality of a hatchback highly desirable; GTI, MS3, Focus ST and WRX are viable candidates. If you had a choice what would you go for and why?
- Why do you guys hate my Cobalt so much lol, I seem to get more crap from you guys than anyone. I live in Colorado and when I meet WRX folk (win or lose), I can't seem to get a break. Not that I care, but just curious why do you hate an object that is meaningless? I know presumptious of me, and I apologize if I offend.
- What are some things I should look for in buying a used WRX. I'm looking for a Hatchback version, but if I must, I'd consider an older sedan as well.
- How is theft in the world of WRX? I used to be a Honda guy back in the day and I left due to several attempts on my car. Headaches and frustration a plenty.
- With the Cobalt, modding it properly can increase reliablilty (GMs decision to use cheap parts were replaced with quality ones) How does modding a WRX (if done properly) effect this cars reliability?
- Is there a quieter exhaust available. All Subies I've seen are loud and obnoxious.
- Maintenance costs on average
- If you were a Cobalt owner, can you please let me know what you feel presently about the switch.
- I race at the track and very rarely indulge in street races (but have occasionally) and launching my FWD with this much power is a pain, it's safe to assume that this won't be an issue with the WRX, how easy is it to get to 310-330AWHP and what will my launching experience be at that level?
- Insurance for some reason on the SS/TC is higher than hell! Are you guys upset or happy with your insurance rate?
- Any advice is welcome, please PM me or post anything and I'll listen.
- ***Last Minute Add on*** Is the 2008 that bad? I kept hearing people say don't do the 2008 etc. Why is this
Michael S aka Vahdyx