Cobalt SS Turbocharged to WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS Turbocharged to WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by JayBee09 As far as I know, When you drop the clutch in a FWD or RWD car ...

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee09 View Post
    As far as I know, When you drop the clutch in a FWD or RWD car the tires will spin...burn out..... In our AWD we will not experience such a tire spin, which will allow the car to hook up and take off quicker than if the tires were to spin. Problem is if the tires aren't breaking loose due to the power........what is. clutch??? Tranny??? As long as you don't have the RPMs turning at a rapid rate then fully hook up the clutch at a stand still you should be ok. As for the best way to take race without "launching"........I am still uncertain of that and any suggestions would be welcomed to me.
    You are right that we will hook up much better than fwd or rwd, and also that therefore the force will not be dissipated by tirespin. Instead, the tranny or clutch, as you said. So the preferred technique if you absolutely must launch the car is to slip the clutch, since it is cheaper to replace a clutch than a differential or transmission.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok. its not something i do regularly however im sure there will be a time where id like to rapidly start and i know that even one launch can break something.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

awd is nice the boxter sounds sick with the right pipe. there are a lot of mods on the market. if you know what your doing. lots of power can be had. 257(2.5L) blocks can handle better power. than 205 (2.0L) but if you build it right you could do 300 wt a 2.0 it will not last 100k like i sayed you have to know how a engine works to do that will not be on stock rods at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ethanesmay View Post
    lots of power can be had. 257(2.5L) blocks can handle better power. than 205 (2.0L) but if you build it right you could do 300 wt a 2.0 it will not last 100k like i sayed you have to know how a engine works to do that will not be on stock rods at that point.
    This is all just wrong.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

First of all, I have owned my '09 WRX for almost 3 years now, and have enjoyed it more than any car I have ever owned. Relatively inexpensive mods to the brakes, suspension, and engine managment have improved the car tremendously. I call it my "poor man's Porsche", and get many comments from riders on the great power and handling, considering I have only ~$30K total invested. I have had fun at the dragstrip in Pueblo, beating a Vette until he figured out how to read the tree and use his launch control. I have surprised many kids who thought their cars were real fast until I beat them by almost 3 seconds in the 1/4. With the Cobb Accessport, you can setup the launch control to hold the rev's at a pre-set limit. I choose 3,000 rpm, which I know is too low to build max boost, but makes it fun and does not abuse the drivetrain if you don't just dump the clutch.

I would probably not have an AWD if I did not live in snow country. I do miss doing burnouts and drifting with a RWD car. After driving FWD/RWD cars, I was surprised that my WRX did not feel like it had AWD in normal driving conditions. It turns very easily in tight parking lots, you would never know it had AWD. On snow and ice, it feels very stable. The difference between a non-AWD car gives me the confidence to go out on bad weather days, and not worry about ending up in the ditch.

I have the SPT exhaust, and have never heard anyone say it was too loud. I love the deep tone sound, compared to ricers with their ass-can mufflers that sound high-pitched and raspy.

My car has been extremely reliable for these first 33K miles, with no problems whatsoever. It is somewhat plain looking, but I have enhanced that with custom wheels, tint, a carbon-fiber hood and wind deflectors. I get nearly 30mpg during the summer, a few less during the winter. It is the only car I know of that combines this kind of mpg with decent acceleration and cornering.

My conclusion is that the WRX was a great purchase, with great re-sale value if I ever want to sell it. I am glad I chose it over the Mazda, Cobalt, SRT-4, and GTI. Most enthusiasts that drive other cars tend to foo-foo my WRX until they ride in it, or when I blow by them on the highway on-ramp or watch them fall back into the distance rounding the off-ramp. I did not buy it to impress anyone but myself, and in that respect it has been a true dream car in many ways !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ethanesmay View Post
    awd is nice the boxter sounds sick with the right pipe. there are a lot of mods on the market. if you know what your doing. lots of power can be had. 257(2.5L) blocks can handle better power. than 205 (2.0L) but if you build it right you could do 300 wt a 2.0 it will not last 100k like i sayed you have to know how a engine works to do that will not be on stock rods at that point.
    uh....What? I almost threw my macbook out the window after I attempted to read this. Sorry....I'm crabby today. Stupid Animal Stak....haha.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Hey guys, I have another stupid question if possible.

It's getting down to the wire basically. I'm either gonna jump at the end of 2013 for a 2009+ WRX, or ride it out with the SS until it fails completely or done with school which ever comes first.

Anyway long story short, how many miles is too many miles to consider?

I know there's "stipulations" like 30k miles of hard driven unmaintained miles is worse than 100k of well maintained miles etc.

I'm not looking for a black or white answer, but a guideline basically. What to look for when shopping and looking at a WRX in person.

Thanks again for all the info
    2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged VR
    360WHP 410WTQ, K04+, 25 PSI HPTuned, K&N SRI, ZZP UCP, ZZP Catted DP, Treadstone FMIC, OTTP S2 Mounts, MPX Catback, TWM STS, Powell Raceshop Oil Separator, TWM STS, SSC Lowering Springs, 18" Enkei M52, and more

I Support ClubWRX
    The end of 2013 is nine months away. Look for a car with a full service history using only authentic parts - no "aftermarket" stuff. If you find one keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post

It's getting down to the wire basically. I'm either gonna jump at the end of 2013 for a 2009+ WRX, or ride it out with the SS until it fails completely or done with school which ever comes first.

I know there's "stipulations" like 30k miles of hard driven unmaintained miles is worse than 100k of well maintained miles etc.

I'm not looking for a black or white answer, but a guideline basically. What to look for when shopping and looking at a WRX in person.

Honestly the "stipulations" are a better rule with these cars. Look for one totally stock with no evidence that it ever was anything else, and a full service history. The miles aren't as big a deal, though one major consideration is that if it is at, around, or above 100k, then the timing belt service needs to have been done or you will need to do it. That is a fairly expensive service, even if you can save some money doing it yourself.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Okay cool thanks guys.
    2009 Cobalt SS Turbocharged VR
    360WHP 410WTQ, K04+, 25 PSI HPTuned, K&N SRI, ZZP UCP, ZZP Catted DP, Treadstone FMIC, OTTP S2 Mounts, MPX Catback, TWM STS, Powell Raceshop Oil Separator, TWM STS, SSC Lowering Springs, 18" Enkei M52, and more

Just based on #1
    Keep your cobalt

Search for the car buying thread.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Pay your car off and keep it. If you just have to get a WRX got for 2009+ stock if possible.
    2009 WRX - Catted DP, Torqued performance stage 2
    2011 Sportwagon TDi
    1970 Chevy Impala Convertible 454

Quote Originally Posted by vahdyx View Post

I bought my 03 WRX almost three years ago with 98k on it. Owned by a 40 something mother of a couple kids who wanted to sell it and get something slower for her kids to learn on. Totally stock with full service history and very well taken care of. The car currently has 160k on it, running Stage 2 with a protune (somewhere around 220 or so at the wheels at 7000 feet) since about 125k. No worries at all, expecting to last for quite awhile longer. These can really be quite reliable cars if taken care of.

The quality for the long term of a Subaru over a Chevy is a plus. AWD is a plus if you live in a snowy climate. AWD is better than FWD or RWD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12