Just Ordered a 2013 WRX Hatch - Tips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Just Ordered a 2013 WRX Hatch - Tips? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! In the adventure that is life, I'm off to yet another car forum since the age of my driver's ...

Smile Just Ordered a 2013 WRX Hatch - Tips?

Hello!

In the adventure that is life, I'm off to yet another car forum since the age of my driver's license. I just recently placed an order at a Subaru dealership for a 2013 WRX Premium hatch in Dark Gray Metallic. They had 0 hatches on the lot so they are going to locate one for me...or better yet factory order it since I am in NO RUSH to leave my current vehicle. My wife and I would like to have children and apparently it is illegal to attach a car seat (facing rearward) to the trunk luggage rack of my 2008 Mazda Miata. Who knew?

In my search for a car, I test drove a few within 20-30k budget and ended up in this. Most fun for the buck and the back seat made my wife happy.

Fiat 500 Abarth (gorgeous sounding factory car, once the seats were adjusted, the back seat was uncomfortable) - at this point the wife suggested 4-door vehicles, many other cars instantly ruled out.
    2010 Audi A4 (6 speed)
    Subaru WRX (sedan & hatch models)
    Subaru WRX STI (how the salesman closed the deal, out of budget)
    VW GTI (4-door)
    VW Golf R (4-door, out of budget, would have purchased this if it were the same price)

Had I not driven the WRX I would have ended up in the GTI (I like VWs, be careful what you say! I still have my 1984 Rabbit GTI). That aside, what tips or things should I be aware of as a new owner?
    I've done the whole mod scene for a while and I started to subdue my modding with the purchase of my '08 Mazda Miata and stuck to a few suspension upgrades, muffler, and brake pads. With the WRX, I'll get a feel for the car then go from there. Based on the test drive it will most likely be some sway bars, perhaps a short throw shifter, brake pads, and a baby seat.

My other question is...on the two forums I've looked at, it appears that the organization of the forums is different. On the VW forum and Miata forum, there were subforums for cars based on generation. Is this not the case in the Subaru world?

Thanks!
    Tim

TL;DR
    Had to get rid of the Miata to have babies, ordering a WRX hatch. Any tips for a new future WRX hatch owner?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Advice: Enjoy it. Don't do anything crazy with it, but don't baby it. Dig the AWD.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

Agreed. That's what the plan is. I enjoy driving...hence I didn't I couldn't stand to just buy some ordinary sedan. This will be a fun HP jump too. It will be about 100hp more than anything I've ever owned. I see no realistic need for more HP at the moment..or even the next 10 years with this car and its purpose.

Hey good choice on the colors man! I just did the same thing last tuesday I had to order a dgm wagon wrx because they had no wrx in that color.

Welcome and congrats! I like your plan. Get the car, do the break-in and then live with it for a bit, then figure out what you think could be improved.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Just got mine last week (2013 base sedan in plasma blue pearl). The only mod that immediately came to mind, other than doing something with the stereo, is the short shift kit. The stock shifter isn't bad, but I can definitely see room for improvement. I do a lot of highway driving, and moving from 4th to 5th is like shifting into a different area code. The other shift changes are somewhat better. The stock shift knob is a bit small for my hand. I may change it.

The stock brakes are excellent to me, as I'm coming from two Trailblazers in a row, a Jeep Liberty before that, and a GMC Sierra 4x4 before that. Not even broken in, the stops are rightnowquick.

Sway bars may be beneficial, and easy to do. Relatively inexpensive, too. I like the handling as is, though again, I'm coming from a vehicle that handled like a barge in heavy seas.

Can't help with the baby seat. My kid is 12, and no more births are planned. So long as its safe, easy to clean, and looks good, there's not much more to look for. If the wife is happy, all is well, eh?

Hope your wait isn't too long. You're gonna love the car.

No ETA, yet. The dealer called today to say they put in the factory order but are still going to attempt to locate here on the East Coast. I'm quite content waiting...it gives me more time with the car I never wanted to get rid of!

The wife is happy because it has a back seat that is a fair size. She likes to point out that "It is a good compromise. It has the space I want and it's sporty. Would any of your friend's wives let them get a WRX as a car to have a baby with?" On the test drive, she let out a squeal when I opened it up in first gear from a rolling start. At that point the salesman let us take it out on our own...thank goodness!

I have a 2013 DMG hatchback - just got 1000 miles on the odometer on the way to work.

I came from the mazda family (MS3, M6, Miata), and I compare it to these cars constantly. My drive home is some highway, and some relatively rough twisty back-roads. My advice, after you break it in and get used to it, is to seriously look at the suspension (I personally think it's the only real weak point in the car for me and my tastes and how I drive). I would suggest sway bars as a starting point, after that, drive it for a bit more and see what you think. They are my next purchase, and I'm a total power junkie.

Cobb stage 2 is always fun if you want to get more serious and keep modding costs relatively low, but along with that often come intercoolers, BPVs, etc, adding to the cost.

Also, I have 2 kids in car seats (3 and 2), and I noticed that the hatchback actually has less usable space than the sedan when the 2 baby seats are in the back and anchored to the rear-most anchor points at the back of the car. It's crazy, but it's true. It won't be as bad with 1, but when you get it take a look at it and you'll see what I mean.

Very nice Tanker. I actually saw your thread shortly after posting and happened to go through it. I like your color choice. I am also in MA. Belchertown to be precise. I came out here for graduate school at UMass, got married, bought a house, and now it's time for the family car.

That's interesting to note about the car seats...I guess things have changed in that end. What happened to the days where you just ran a seat belt through the car seat?????? haha

One of my friends who has a 2010 hatch said he felt the sedan had more useable space too. So that is interesting hearing that comment again. I'll have to check out the latch points on my wife's Forester.

In regards to the suspension, a couple of years ago my wife purchased some sway bars for me for the Miata and she asked if I could use them on the Subaru (I'm impressed she even thought of that!). I told her I couldn't, but she suggested selling them and getting some sway bars for the WRX. I couldn't agree more! That might be the extent of what I do to the suspension though...at least until any future children are older. But who knows what car I could be on by then...

You can run a seat belt through the car seat if you want. But studies show... blah blah blah. You'll do it because it's your kid and the anchor points are there. God help you if you get a girl like I did - she'll own you in about 15 seconds and she'll know it when she turns 3. I should put up a few pictures in a thread so people see what I mean. It's not like it makes the back of the car useless, but the anchor points run straps across the back at about 10" above the deck, making them divide the rear portion into 3 sections.

For suspension, I'm leaning towards getting a STI 19mm rear sway (like $90-$100 on the web), and see how that helps the hatch perform. It won't be a huge difference from stock, but it might be a nice middle ground for little money. I had 22s on the MS3 front and rear and it was a bit sharp for every day driving. I'm trying to find that middle ground of comfort and handling: not quite as sharp as the MS3, not quite as soft as the WRX stock.

Hopefully your dealer experience will be better than mine, and if you are ever in Webster/Worcester, drop me a line and we can meet up. By then I should have stage 2 done (if cobb ever comes out with the AP software for the 2013!)

Well, it appears the locate isn't going well and there is a factory order in, but with no date. Dealer gave an option to change the color if I chose.

Every now and then I think about the WR Blue but ask myself if I would still like it in 5 years (original choice is DGM). I understand it's the quintessential WRX color, but it is a nice blue! I wish the plasma blue looked like it did in the photos. I think in person it looks like a dark purple.

If you couldn't get your first choice color, what would you guys get?
    Last edited by TimboAA; 10-30-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Reminding myself I am in no rush.

I Support ClubWRX
    I had to order my wrx hatch because, well... I wanted a red wrx. It's rare to see a wrx by me but even more rare to see a red one. But if they had a pearl white wrx hatch on the lot I would of went home with that.

I would have done the red too if they made it for 2013. I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't. It will be one of those harder to find colors in the years to come.

I Support ClubWRX

Just Ordered a 2013 WRX Hatch - Tips?

Yeah I was a little upset at that too but, well now I have a little bit more rare car.

Quote Originally Posted by TimboAA View Post
    Well, it appears the locate isn't going well and there is a factory order in, but with no date. Dealer gave an option to change the color if I chose.

Every now and then I think about the WR Blue but ask myself if I would still like it in 5 years (original choice is DGM). I understand it's the quintessential WRX color, but it is a nice blue! I wish the plasma blue looked like it did in the photos. I think in person it looks like a dark purple.

If you couldn't get your first choice color, what would you guys get?
    I got the plasma blue, and I like it a lot. In a certain light, it does have a bit of a purple hue to it. White would've been my first choice, but the dealer had the blue one on the lot, and I didn't feel like waiting for an order to come in. DGM is nice, too. I saw an ice silver one a few days ago, and didn't really think it was so hot. Drive fast enough, though, and nobody will be sure what color you have anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast