I take delivery of a 2013 WRX 5-door Thursday - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on I take delivery of a 2013 WRX 5-door Thursday within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by degobah77 I would spin my Jetta's front tires 50% of time, doesn't help that they were bald ...

Quote Originally Posted by degobah77 View Post
    I would spin my Jetta's front tires 50% of time, doesn't help that they were bald most of the time, but the car had zero traction anyway in anything but dry weather.

So what I take from what you're saying is that with the AWD, I can expect to launch with a solid boost with little to no chance of wheel spin most of time, so I need to learn to drive a bit differently...I'll move quicker with less throttle than I am used to.

It's clear that I don't know how to drive at all actually, but I do get by!
    Unless your abusing the car the tranny will be fine. Even if you launch the car properly using launch control the clutch takes most of the abuse and will need replaced sooner. A few people have made some big power on the 08+ stock tranny before having problems. The older models are a different story.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

I take delivery of a 2013 WRX 5-door Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    You can be a spirited driver and have fun, just avoid hard launches and shifts. The real big thing is launches. With the awd system, traction is going to be good, so you'll hook up very easily. That means the energy/shock that normally might go into tirespin will now either go to the differentials, or the clutch, depending on how you launch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    Unless your abusing the car the tranny will be fine. Even if you launch the car properly using launch control the clutch takes most of the abuse and will need replaced sooner. A few people have made some big power on the 08+ stock tranny before having problems. The older models are a different story.
    Pretty much what they said. I didn't mean to make it sound like there was a chance that the tranny would spontaneously explode at any time while driving lol. I should have been more specific but I was referring more to launching. I've heard a lot of horror stories (a majority from my roommate who's gone through several trannies with his 02 WRX) about WRX trannies from 02-07. Subaru strengthened the 5 speeds a bit for 08+ but not a whole lot. I don't launch hard very often, but when I do, I cringe pretty much until I get to 5th just waiting for a catastrophe. AWD just doesn't allow room for error so you have to know what you're doing. Even then it can be a coin toss. Hard launches are hard enough for the tranny to handle with a stock set up so if you start increasing HP and plan on taking your car to the drag strip a lot, you should seriously consider a 6 speed swap. From what I hear, they're damn near bulletproof. I'm definitely going to do it once I have the spare cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Romdizzle View Post
    Pretty much what they said. I didn't mean to make it sound like there was a chance that the tranny would spontaneously explode at any time while driving lol. I should have been more specific but I was referring more to launching. I've heard a lot of horror stories (a majority from my roommate who's gone through several trannies with his 02 WRX) about WRX trannies from 02-07. Subaru strengthened the 5 speeds a bit for 08+ but not a whole lot. I don't launch hard very often, but when I do, I cringe pretty much until I get to 5th just waiting for a catastrophe. AWD just doesn't allow room for error so you have to know what you're doing. Even then it can be a coin toss. Hard launches are hard enough for the tranny to handle with a stock set up so if you start increasing HP and plan on taking your car to the drag strip a lot, you should seriously consider a 6 speed swap. From what I hear, they're damn near bulletproof. I'm definitely going to do it once I have the spare cash.
    If you research the 6 speed swap you'll find out selling your car for an STi would cost about the same and be MUCH less of a pain in the ass. The 08+ tranny is pretty strong. I've only seen a very small amount of failures, one being on a car with almost 500wtq so I wouldn't worry too much unless your always pounding on the car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    If you research the 6 speed swap you'll find out selling your car for an STi would cost about the same and be MUCH less of a pain in the ass. The 08+ tranny is pretty strong. I've only seen a very small amount of failures, one being on a car with almost 500wtq so I wouldn't worry too much unless your always pounding on the car.
    So you're saying my car is only worth about $5000-$6000? Not sure where you're getting your pricing from but that's about how much i figure I can the parts for. To me, the PITA mods are the most satisfying when completed. I guess there's some sentimentality that comes with my car too. First car I've ever bought and I plan on keeping it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Romdizzle View Post
    So you're saying my car is only worth about $5000-$6000? Not sure where you're getting your pricing from but that's about how much i figure I can the parts for. To me, the PITA mods are the most satisfying when completed. I guess there's some sentimentality that comes with my car too. First car I've ever bought and I plan on keeping it forever.
    I think what he's saying is the value of your car plus the expense and hassle of doing the swap is about equal to what a similar STi would cost. So most people would opt for selling the Rex and buying an STi with the difference.
    Ready, Fire, Aim!
    2013 SWP WRX Hatch
    Austin, Texas

Proud Member #512 of the Stink-Eye Mob

Quote Originally Posted by Gendax View Post
    I think what he's saying is the value of your car plus the expense and hassle of doing the swap is about equal to what a similar STi would cost. So most people would opt for selling the Rex and buying an STi with the difference.
    This is correct.

Much more to a 6 speed swap than most people know.

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Gendax View Post
    This makes more sense. Sorry, just interpreted wrong. I understand what you're saying. For me, the situational and financial circumstances were just different. Couldn't comfortably afford the STI when I bought my car. Not saying I would rather have bout an STI because I love my car. I bought it with the intention of doing as much as possible to tastefully modify it. I understand what's involved with a tranny swap and how much work it will be. I guess I'm just big on the "built not bought" thing. Anyway, I think we've taken this too far and need to squash it! Congrats on the new car, have fun with it and welcome again to the forum!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    The hell are you talking about?
    Are you illiterate? The WRX is faster 0-60 because of the spacing in gears, im saying in 2014, with the new design, maybe subaru will widen the gears on the sti, or just provide a greater power separation between the two models

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: I take delivery of a 2013 WRX 5-door Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by B REX View Post
    Are you illiterate? The WRX is faster 0-60 because of the spacing in gears, im saying in 2014, with the new design, maybe subaru will widen the gears on the sti, or just provide a greater power separation between the two models

Why don't you compare 50-100 because that is what matters.

Beamed at your face at approx. 186,000 miles per second via DROID BIONIC
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123