2013 WRX - A month and a 1000 miles in

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX - A month and a 1000 miles in within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So after a month and a little over 1000 miles with my first manual transmission car, I wanted to put ...

2013 WRX - A month and a 1000 miles in

So after a month and a little over 1000 miles with my first manual transmission car, I wanted to put down some observations, and get everyone's input.... also looking to get a couple questions answered. Thanks in advance! (If this is not the correct board I apologize).

STARTING
    • Clutch engages pretty high, so I start releasing it before using any gas at all. I try to just almost find the friction point, gas it, then slip it a little for a smooth start.
    • Clutch seemed to be grabbier at first, but seems easier to get it moving now. Some of this is I'm getting better at it, but I do think it's not as grabby as well.
    • I was getting the burning clutch smell for a while, but after about 500 miles or so I wasn't smelling it as much. I couldn't smell it in the car, just as I'd get out and walk in front of it.
    • Hill assist has been nice, and annoying in some situations. It's nice on very steep hills to not roll back, however I lose the feel on when/how it's engaging; but overall I think I like it. Also, if you don't depress the brake pedal very hard, the hill assist will not be used.
    • Reverse sometimes doesn't go in the first time, but going to first and back to reverse seems to do the trick.

Questions:
    1. The RPM dip as it's engaging. Should I be trying to keep the RPM steady, or is the dip to be expected? If I start at around 1k they don't dip much, but it's a pretty slow start.
    2. Not for launching, but in situations where I need to start more quickly (making a left turn in front of traffic for example), I've been just more gas earlier (getting it up around 2k-2.2k) and letting the clutch out a little faster. Is this the correct approach?

UP SHIFTING
    During normal driving and shifting around 2500-3000 rpm, I've noticed the RPM drop as follows:
    • 1st - 2nd : drops about 1100 rpm - Usually a little bumpy shift
    • 2nd - 3rd : drops about 900 rpm
    • 3rd - 4th : drops about 600 rpm
    • 4th - 5th : drops about 500 rpm - A little notchy to get into, and takes me longer than the rest of the gears.

Questions:
    1. As I start to wind it out, and shift around 6,000 rpm, the rpm will drop more between each gear, correct? By how much? It seems like it'll be harder to get smooth shifts with even bigger drops, as 1100 is pretty large as it is.
    2. Shifting at these higher rpm, should I be easing the clutch out (not terribly slow but controlling the release for about a second), or just dropping it?

DOWN SHIFTING
    This seems to be the most difficult so far. In the two situations for down shifting I take different approaches.
    • For engine breaking when coming to a stop, I usually downshift from 5-4, then 4-3, but do not rev match. I just ease the clutch out to make it smoother. Once I get to lower RPM/speed in 3rd I just throw it in neutral.
    • Downshifting to accelerate I attempt to rev match, but it is a little tricky. I'm wondering what the proper way to do this without burning up clutch is. I find if I hit the throttle a little harder as I'm downshifting shifting to keep the RPM where they're at and have em rise a little, I get the smoothest results.

Questions:
    1. When downshifting to accelerate, should I be, clutch in (now rpms start to drop), ride the gas to the appropriate RPM, then ease out the clutch? Or should it be clutch in, blip the throttle, then drop the clutch?

MISC
    • The car is alot of fun. Hugs the road and always seems like it wants to go faster.
    • Keeping it under 4k RPM has been tough, but it'll be nice to let it loose now. Getting that full synthetic oil change soon.
    • The bluetooth integration is nice. Spotify premium + bluetooth is a great combo! However I'm running into on and off issues with my iphone thanks to iOS6.
    • The seats hold you in pretty well, and my passengers have said it's pretty roomy in the back.
    • The stock shift knob is lame (IMO) and replaced it with a Cobb Knob.
    • I'm thinking about getting a short throw shifter... basically just seems like it could be fun.
    • Premium gas is about $4.39/gal, but whatever haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice, ima about to order one over the Weekend, I have never driven a manual, just a couple times but not enough to get the hang of it. Ill have two months while I wait for the car to practice on my cousins civic though. ha

I Support ClubWRX
    I can agree with the wicked high catch point, after a while it feels really good though. You can honestly get the car going with as little as 700-1000 rpm. I try to avoid going past 1500 for "speedy" starts. I like to be smooth but don't like the feel of clutch slip.

Also revmatch, revmatch, revmatch. On down shifts and upshifts, it will save your clutch. After a while you'll get a feel for the speed to rpm ratios.

You'll get used to the hillhold assist, it usually only lasts about 3 seconds.

A trick I learned from the forums, go into second then back to neutral and clutch out. Then try reverse. Works 99.9% of the time.
    Last edited by KRowe; 10-11-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Drive Hard, Stay Driven..

IM unknown to these terms, what is revmatch??

KHP
    Starting
    Question 1:
    You'll want to keep the rpm steady as the clutch is released. When rpm drops engine loses power (bogging it down) and you get the head whipping start. Ideally you shouldn't be exceeding 1,500RPMs on a normal start. Any more than that just adds extra stress and wear to the clutch.

Question 2:
    Your approach sounds about right. Just make sure that you release the clutch a little faster to avoid prolonged slips thus shortening your clutch life.

UpShifting
    Question 1:
    Yes the drop increases between gears as revs increase. One of the things you should understand is when people drive in the upper half of the RPM range they tend to rush shifting(Maybe the engine noise gets the heart pumping). It's a skill and feel to learn, but you'll have to wait for the revs to drop close to the next gear's speed. This will give you the smoothest shift and least amount of drive train wear.

Question 2:
    You have to finesse the clutch in. I wouldn't suggest to drop the clutch unless you're absolutely sure that the revs have been matched. I would say a half second of slip is what I do now days. It seems like a very narrow time frame from in to out clutch, but I'm used to the feel and rev match constantly.

Downshifting
    Question 1:
    What I do is I blip the throttle and finesse the clutch. Lets say I over shoot the target RPM for the perfect rev match. I wait for the split second it takes for the rpm to drop to the matching speed before releasing the clutch.

BTW clutch smell is pretty bad. A sure indication that you're shortening its life. Try to avoid prolonged slips and make sure not to ride your clutch.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-11-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Quote Originally Posted by M3ndoza View Post
    Don't be in 4th, put in clutch & wait for it to go down to idle rpms before engaging the next gear. Let it out at the rev that 3rd will want to be in.
    Last edited by drkhead; 10-11-2012 at 12:14 PM.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by M3ndoza View Post
    Rev matching means that you're matching the engine speed (RPM) to the transmission speed (RPM) for the appropriate gear. Doing so minimizes clutch slip and wear when shifting.

Check out.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure someone here will post a much more detailed message than myself in regards to this topic.

Revmatching is when you try to have the engine and the drive train after the flywheel spinning at the same speed when you let out the clutch. Basically you may have noticed that sometimes the car feels like it shifts itself when going from 2nd to 3rd. You depress the clutch, shift and then let the rpm's float/drop a little and fully get of the clutch. The car shifts smoothly with little to no slipping or transmission jerk.

The same is true for downshifting, with the clutch depressed *blip* the throttle inbetween gears to set the RPM's close to where they would be after you down shifted. For example; you're in 5th doing 45 mph at 1500 rpm. You know that 4th at 45 = 2200 rpm. You clutch in, put the car into 4th, *blip* the throttle with the clutch still depressed to 2200 rpm and then clutch out. You'll get a smooth transition into your next gear. It's not an exact science and the feel will come to you as you drive.

lol what the hell did he almost hit in that video?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have yet to be able to heel toe.. Or rather toe heel since my foot doesn't bend that way.. My car under normal street conditions due to the pedal placement in the car. I'm going to the track in a week so I'll see if I can do it then. I feel like I need to get the brake pedal in deep to be close to the gas.

Oh i see, thats a good explanation. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by KRowe View Post
    I have yet to be able to heel toe.. Or rather toe heel since my foot doesn't bend that way.. My car under normal street conditions due to the pedal placement in the car. I'm going to the track in a week so I'll see if I can do it then. I feel like I need to get the brake pedal in deep to be close to the gas.
    I'm more like big toe for brake little toe for gas an I still can't master it!

KHP
    Ohh... btw... ignore the Launch instruction from the video. Trying to launch an AWD car the way he launched his FWD car can potentially blow your transmission. I don't recommend trying to spin your tires on an AWD launch.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Ohh... btw... ignore the Launch instruction from the video. Trying to launch an AWD car the way he launched his FWD car can potentially blow your transmission. I don't recommend trying to spin your tires on an AWD launch.
    Just like the YouTube video teaching you how to do a brake stand right?!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhead View Post
    Just like the YouTube video teaching you how to do a brake stand right?!
    Yeah I remember watching this video a long time ago and it's technically correct. I just didn't remember that he started out with a launch. The rest of what he demonstrates regarding shifting is pretty spot on.