Scooby Noobie Requesting Knowledge

This is a discussion on Scooby Noobie Requesting Knowledge within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! My name is Alvin, and I went out just about 3 months ago, and purchased my first car, ...

Cool Scooby Noobie Requesting Knowledge

Hello all! My name is Alvin, and I went out just about 3 months ago, and purchased my first car, a 1999 subaru legacy wagon all stock with the 2.2l ej223 usdm motor. So far, I love the car so much! I am interested in getting some more power out of it and also doing some exhaust work to make it sound "throatier"... So, if anyone could please help me out and guide me along the way, that would be great. Thanks! (I know that this car isn't an Impreza or a turbo WRX STI... sorry if that angers anyone that I'm posting this here...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

No reason for anyone to be angry! We love all cars around here, so welcome!

Only problem is, there just isn't much you can do to make it much more powerful to the basic non-turbo'd engine. You could find an intake and do the exhaust and so, but that never usually yields much power to the NA powerplants.

However, you are ripe for an engine replacement, that's for sure...there are some cool builds out there where people drop WRX and STI engines into bodies like that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    No reason for anyone to be angry! We love all cars around here, so welcome!

Only problem is, there just isn't much you can do to make it much more powerful to the basic non-turbo'd engine. You could find an intake and do the exhaust and so, but that never usually yields much power to the NA powerplants.

However, you are ripe for an engine replacement, that's for sure...there are some cool builds out there where people drop WRX and STI engines into bodies like that.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX

Scooby Noobie Requesting Knowledge

I'd enjoy it just the way it is, and spend my money only on keeping it running with authentic parts. When the doors melt off in many years, I'd buy another car and repeat.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well, yeah I don't plan on doing any builds like swapping in a EJ257T or anything like that, due to my lack of funds still being in high school. I just mainly wanted to do the exhaust on it... I have looked and looked and looked, and haven't found any exhaust kits that are anything different than OEM style. What would you guys recommend if I wanted to get some more "rumble" out of it?
    Last edited by alvin01; 10-05-2012 at 12:31 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you cant find anything else an exhaust shop could most likely fabricate something from the cat back for you with a free flowing muffler.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by alvin01 View Post
    Well, yeah I don't plan on doing any builds like swapping in a EJ257T or anything like that, due to my lack of funds still being in high school. I just mainly wanted to do the exhaust on it... I have looked and looked and looked, and haven't found any exhaust kits that are anything different than OEM style. What would you guys recommend if I wanted to get some more "rumble" out of it?
    Could try chopping off the axlebacks at an exhaust shop and welding on a universal muffler that allows more flow?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

IMHO the 2.2 is one of the best boxer engines out there. It was common for us to take a 96-99 Outback with the then crappy 2.5 and swap out the engine with the 2.2. That engine will run forever with proper maintenance. I had a 91 Legacy wagon that was over 300K miles when I sold it. I would run it stock and save $. X2 on going to an exhaust shop to get a better sound.