New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; No doubt Elise's are incredibly fun cars, and gorgeous to look at. Did you get to drive it at all? ...

No doubt Elise's are incredibly fun cars, and gorgeous to look at. Did you get to drive it at all? I can't imagine much out there being more fun at a track. Though practicality it probably won't be able to hold a candle to a Subaru.

It's unfortunate that it'd cost that much more to remove the spoiler on an STI. While I love STIs, I do agree that a nice trunk lip would look the best. I've seen a couple and they look better than anything on the new Sedans. Honestly though, you could probably offset some of the cost by selling the STI spoiler on the forum classifieds or Craiglist...or if you can wait, find a trunk swap buddy, considering there are threads for that. Just throwing that out there for ya.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    No doubt Elise's are incredibly fun cars, and gorgeous to look at. Did you get to drive it at all? I can't imagine much out there being more fun at a track. Though practicality it probably won't be able to hold a candle to a Subaru.

It's unfortunate that it'd cost that much more to remove the spoiler on an STI. While I love STIs, I do agree that a nice trunk lip would look the best. I've seen a couple and they look better than anything on the new Sedans. Honestly though, you could probably offset some of the cost by selling the STI spoiler on the forum classifieds or Craiglist...or if you can wait, find a trunk swap buddy, considering there are threads for that. Just throwing that out there for ya.
    Agreed with this, there are regularly WRX owners who want to put the STI wing on.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Ya, I posted up in the trunk swap thread.

I need to take it down if things go as currently planned. Wife and I are likely buying a new "commuter" car (trading in our 2010 Honda Accord for a Mazda 3) and looking for a reasonably priced low mileage Elise.

We already started the search for the Elise (at least we think this is the route we'll take.....once we actually buy a Mazda, we're committed). Almost bought the Mazda tonight....but they wanted a grand more than we wanted to pay with our trade. We're going to sleep on it.

The STI is still something we really want.....but we both fell in love with the Elise. If the deal with the Mazda 3 or other commuter car doesn't work out, we'll get the STI. We decided the extra money for the better transmission is worth it along with the DCCD and better suspension/brakes and slightly more power.

I must seem like a total flake the way I've vacillated between the the WRX/STI and now the Elise.....but what can I say....maybe it's a mid-life crisis.

Sounded like pretty normal car-buying decision-making to me.

That's sweet that you're going to get the Elise!
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, hell, I vacillate more than that just trying to pick out a scope or some tires.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, hell, I vacillate more than that just trying to pick out a scope or some tires.
    I'm the same way. It took me 2 weeks to figure out the best brake parts...and the better part of a month, to figure out my suspension overhaul!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Well, we're committed now.....we bought a new Mazda 3 for the commuter car tonight. Started the search for a gently used Lotus Elise today as well. Now I need to go make some custom low profile ramps for my trailer in case we have to drive cross country to pick it up and tow it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Well, we're committed now.....we bought a new Mazda 3 for the commuter car tonight. Started the search for a gently used Lotus Elise today as well. Now I need to go make some custom low profile ramps for my trailer in case we have to drive cross country to pick it up and tow it back.
    Eff that! Fly across country...and drive that bitch back cannonball run style!

At least it will be more fun that way

LOL, I'd love to....but if it breaks down, VERY few tow companies will touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    LOL, I'd love to....but if it breaks down, VERY few tow companies will touch it.
    Why is that?? Just wondering.

I guess b/c it's considered an exotic.....AND it's REALLY low to the ground. I think pulling it up onto some tow trucks might be a real issue as well as strapping it down.....if you cinch it too tight, you could pull something out of whack. This is one of the lightest production cars ever made so the subframe and parts are all pretty spindly.

Well, tomorrow I test drive the car with everything we want....it's WAAAY more money than I wanted to spend but it's super clean, <4000 miles and supercharged.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll post up pics if I close the deal tomorrow. If not, I'll probably be too depressed to post anything, LOL.

Sean

Good luck!
    - Will

Well, it's done....bought it today. It'll be here next week. It's an '08 Lotus Elise SC with 3472 miles and the hard and soft tops. The factory supercharger brings it up to about 220 hp on a 1900 lb. car. It definitely scoots.

Here are some pics:

I Support ClubWRX

New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues?

Congrats, enjoy!
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast