New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; As an STI owner, I'd gladly pay the 00 extra for the transmission, DCCD, and brakes alone, let alone a ...

As an STI owner, I'd gladly pay the $5500 extra for the transmission, DCCD, and brakes alone, let alone a better suspension. Power is relative as that can always be bumped up rather "cheap" compared to other things.

Welcome and goodluck with your purchase. I'd say with your hobbies and toys, you'll fit in just fine. And as a running joke that you'll figure out...you sound like you do NOT need a new wife
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nope....my wife is AWESOME.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Sean, welcome aboard! Some really cool toys you have there! I'd say from the sounds of things you are more of an STi guy than WRX, but I'm sure you'd love either. If you are really concerned with reliability you could always spring for the extended warranty, I think they are pretty reasonable if you can get a deal on one considering the parts/labor costs on STI/WRX. BTW I'm a Subaru dealer so if you need any advice or anything feel free to PM me or drop a post in my "ask a dealer" thread, the link is in my sig.
    Last edited by rexxx0486; 09-28-2012 at 04:56 PM.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Don't look for advise here about WRX vs. STi - there are two camps here and it gets heated at times. You're head will end up spinning.

The fact is if you need the stuff on the STi, i.e mainly the tougher transmission and the differential, but also other things, you won't touch them ever with a WRX for anywhere near the price difference. The stock level power and handling on the STi can be easily surpassed with a modified WRX however. I think the new Brembos aren't rated all that highly.
    Ya, I can always get more power (relatively easily and "inexpensively"...too a point)....and the 6 speed trans is like $1100 from what my friend tells me....it's the center differential/AWD control system that would be hard to touch for the money.

I kinda doubt my wife will EVER push either the WRX or STI enough that it would be compromised in terms of the drivetrain. I might....but I don't know that I would either.

Just not sure at this point, but it seems like the STI, for the money might be a wiser choice if we have the money to blow....which thankfully, right now we could probably afford.

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    Welcome aboard! Cool toys you have there! I'd say from the sounds of things you are more of an STi guy than WRX, but I'm sure you'd love either. BTW I am a Subaru dealer so if you need any advice or anything feel free to PM me or drop a post in my "ask a dealer" thread, the link is in my sig.
    Thank you, sir! Any chance you offer wholesale pricing on parts to forum members?

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    get the WRX, use the savings from not getting the STI to purchase a deep grumbly exhaust. Just remember if you move to CO get a second set of wheels/tires for the weather up there, don't use the stock tires year round.
    Ya, people keep telling me snow tires are VERY different from a M/S designation....I don't have much (especially recent) snow driving experience having been in AZ since '98 now but I'll definitely need a second set.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Ya, I can always get more power (relatively easily and "inexpensively"...too a point)....and the 6 speed trans is like $1100 from what my friend tells me....it's the center differential/AWD control system that would be hard to touch for the money.

I kinda doubt my wife will EVER push either the WRX or STI enough that it would be compromised in terms of the drivetrain. I might....but I don't know that I would either.

Just not sure at this point, but it seems like the STI, for the money might be a wiser choice if we have the money to blow....which thankfully, right now we could probably afford.
    You're talking in the $4K or more range to get an STi transmission into a WRX doing the work yourself I believe. I never really looked into it though as remarkably 50K of stage II miles out of 90 total didn't grenade my tranny or even my first clutch on my '03.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Wow, the tranny is $4K....Guess my friend was WAAAY off in the price.

Thanks.....that makes the decision a lot easier. The STI just makes a LOT more sense if you can afford it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I could get you discounted SPT parts or standard Subaru parts but I think the shipping costs would eat up the difference. I'd be happy to check anyway though.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Quote Originally Posted by rexxx0486 View Post
    I could get you discounted SPT parts or standard Subaru parts but I think the shipping costs would eat up the difference. I'd be happy to check anyway though.
    Thanks for the offer....I'll let you know when we get closer. Talked to the wife today about it pretty extensively.....she needs to stop thinking about it for a while.....it's been on her mind for the last few weeks and she just needs a break at this point, especially after the ups and downs of thinking we'd bought a BRZ only to find out we hadn't.

I hope she never reads this forum, but I really think the STI is the better purchase for us. That said, I wouldn't mind having the BRZ. We're "car people" and I think that either one will end up in lots of family photos and with us on a lot of trips and out having fun. However, with our interest in offroad, and plans to move to CO, I think the STI is probably the wiser choice.....but where's the fun in being sensible. Actually, with an STI.....I'm SURE there's still fun to be had....and it may be quite a bit more than the BRZ from our perspective.

Thanks again for the kind offer. I may take you up on it.

Sen

Well, things have changed since I last posted. We're looking at getting a regular WRX premium instead of the STI.....though tonight we are going to go look at a Lotus Elise after work. It's possible that we may end up with one of these instead of either Subaru.

I still like the STI better than the WRX, but we want to change out the huge wing and the dealer is telling us it's $1300 to change the struts and deck lid to a WRX spoiler. So, it's going to run $8K more for the STI than the WRX. After working actual numbers, it's $6k more for the STI, plus $1300 for the wing, plus another $700 in taxes. It's probably worth it if we ever decide to race the car recreationally (just b/c of the 6 speed stronger trans and center differential and brembo brakes)......but if we do end up buying an Elise later, then the WRX will be fine and the Elise will be the track car.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 11-12-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Wow, $1300 just to change the spoiler! Crazy Town!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Ya, honestly....I'd buy the deck lid, WRX spoiler and struts myself and just install them.....but I really don't know where to start to get the parts.

Anyone know of a wholesale Subaru parts dealer?

Sounds silly, but the $1300 extra is really the kick in the pants keeping us from getting the STI. We just hate the huge wing THAT much, LOL.

Sean

We went and looked at the Elise tonight! HOLY CRAP!!!! One of the coolest cars ever. I didn't really appreciate how beautiful this car's body lines were until seeing it up close while it was sitting still. Pics do NOT do it justice.

Getting in and out is not a problem....getting out is harder than in, but still pretty simple.

We've seen these cars driving around by our house in the past and realized they were small.....but not nearly as small as when it's sitting still and you get to walk around it.

We got to the owner's house a little early and his wife said it was unlocked and we could take a look at it and that her husband would be home in a few minutes. We were both hesitant to open it up without the owner present so we just stared at it with our jaws dropped and grinning like idiots. Coolest car I've ever seen that I could actually afford.

The doors looked so small that before the owner got there, they really had me thinking that I couldn't fit in the car, but once we opened it up....it was actually easy. Plenty of head room with my long torso and 6' tall frame. It's TINY inside though....tiny outside too. The top of the car is just below my waist....maybe hip height. The front air dam is like 3" off the ground....a small speed bump might be an issue....a steep driveway definitely would be.

We are totally in love with it now....but we both realize that it is SO impractical. The 'boot' or "trunk" is even smaller than in pictures....a big laptop probably wouldn't fit. There's a tiny space behind the seats and no real room to put much of anything anywhere else. If you got more than 1 or max 2 bags of groceries.....bring a different car to the store.

We are debating doing some updating/preventative maintenance on our very old, but 100% reliable 4Runner and making that my wife's DD, and buying a Lotus, or....possibly buying a new, cheap commuter car and buying an Elise.

Not sure if reason and practicality will win out and we'll get the WRX and STI.....but I know I'm completely stoked about the Lotus.

Anyway, just wanted to vent.

Sean

If you can make it work, then that would be an awesome car to add to the stable. Just gotta figure out that pesky practicality question!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.