New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Awesome! Like the SCAR style buttstock. Is the cheek weld adjustable? check in on the gun nuts thread.... http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...hread-174.html...

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome! Like the SCAR style buttstock. Is the cheek weld adjustable?

check in on the gun nuts thread....

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...hread-174.html
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    check settings in the top right corner.. then general settings on the left
    Thanks. I couldn't figure it out until you told me to go to the general settings on the left.

Awesome! Like the SCAR style buttstock. Is the cheek weld adjustable?

check in on the gun nuts thread....

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...hread-174.html
    Ya, it's adjustable 1/4" up or down (doesn't pivot like a ACR stock so it's a true 1/4" up/down)....then the stock bolts to the folding hinge adapter with 3 different height adjustments giving something over an inch of total movement up/down. It's pretty versatile, but I do have some complaints and upgrades I'd like to design into a new adapter at some point since I doubt the factory will fix them.

Thanks for the links on the gas mileage and the gun thread. I'll definitely check 'em out.

Figure I'll also post a gratuitous pic of the buggy I built.

and one out in the rocks:

I Support ClubWRX
    lol@ the jeep grille

That's pretty damned cool. I dig it. Still haven't ever been true fourwheeling other than screwing around in my F150
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ya, it's addictive. I built a couple chassis and cages for friends.....I really like designing and building stuff. My wife wants me to build up the 98 Tj we bought a while back....she won't let me start a new tube chassis until her Jeep is done. Sucks, b/c on the last chassis I built for a friend I shaved several hundred pounds off his design over what I have....and I know I can make my new one even lighter still (since he wanted odd ball proportions....really long nose, really short tail and short cabin area). If it was totally up to me, it would have been more proportional.

Here's a few pics:

and:

The removable engine cage (weighs just over 26lbs):

I better get to bed....nice talking with ya.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 09-28-2012 at 09:43 AM.

I Support ClubWRX

New To the Forum....Looking At Buying an STI. Any Reliability Issues?

That's pretty excellent. Tig or mig?

Have a good night
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Welcome and good luck with the car search! Definitely one of the more interesting intro threads I've seen

Gas mileage: Now, I own a WRX, not a STI, but the official ratings aren't terribly different. I've found that on the highway speed really makes a big difference. If I drive my normal 72-75 I'm looking at around 25-26 mpg, whereas if I drive more around 65-70 I'll be pushing almost to 30, depending on terrain. My commute is literally all city driving in lots of traffic, and I can still manage low 20s if I'm trying.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

That's pretty excellent. Tig or mig?

Have a good night
    Mig. I would LOVE to get a Tig.....but the prep time (not to mention skill) is a LOT longer per joint than Mig and for what I normally weld, there's no real advantage to it. Now, the gun parts....that's where Tig would really be an asset for me. Oh, and most of the welding on my friend's chassis was done by him. I designed it, bent the tube, tacked it, welded some of it.....but for the most part, he did the welding.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome and good luck with the car search! Definitely one of the more interesting intro threads I've seen

Gas mileage: Now, I own a WRX, not a STI, but the official ratings aren't terribly different. I've found that on the highway speed really makes a big difference. If I drive my normal 72-75 I'm looking at around 25-26 mpg, whereas if I drive more around 65-70 I'll be pushing almost to 30, depending on terrain. My commute is literally all city driving in lots of traffic, and I can still manage low 20s if I'm trying.

Wow, that's really good. Ya, after talking to the wife before bed last night, we're still thinking of possibly going with the WRX over the STI. For $5500 more, you're getting a stronger 6 speed, 40 more hp, Brembos and the center diff system. My thought is the center diff system alone is probably worth the extra money....but I'm not sure. I keep wondering if we'll kick ourselves later for saving the $5500 or if we'll never even miss it. She definitely preferred the throaty sound of the exhaust in the WRX over the STI.

We both HATE the giant wing on the STI. We're going to try and swap it for a standard WRZ deck lid, struts and smaller spoiler....but that's $1285 from the dealer installed.

Is there by chance a recommended Subi dealer that sells parts wholesale on line for your forum? I know other enthusiast forums I've been to have dealers that do this. I'd like to just see what parts would cost and just install it myself.

I have no idea what's involved in changing out the entire trunk lid and struts though....I'd guess it's fairly straightforward. Anyone done it? I'm assuming you'd order it color coded.

Also, is there a market for a take off trunk lid with the giant wing? Maybe I could simply swap with someone, though finding a white or silver one (not sure what color we're getting out of those two yet) of the right year might be an issue. What year models are interchangeable? My understanding is the 2013 is the same as the 2011 and 2012. Is that right?

Thanks for the help guys. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm getting excited about an STI again and the wife still wants a BRZ.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    There is a trunk swap thread as well.

Also Ray is building a buggy currently

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ail-buggy.html
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    There is a trunk swap thread as well.

Also Ray is building a buggy currently

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ail-buggy.html
    Very cool.....

UNofficial Trunk Swap Thread

Thanks for the tip.

Looks like Ray has a pretty good start to the project too.

Thought I'd put up a short video of the buggy too.

Dome_Sean - YouTube

I Support ClubWRX
    get the WRX, use the savings from not getting the STI to purchase a deep grumbly exhaust. Just remember if you move to CO get a second set of wheels/tires for the weather up there, don't use the stock tires year round.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Don't look for advise here about WRX vs. STi - there are two camps here and it gets heated at times. Your head will end up spinning.

The fact is if you need the stuff on the STi, i.e mainly the tougher transmission and the differential, but also other things, you won't touch them ever with a WRX for anywhere near the price difference. The stock level power and handling on the STi can be easily surpassed with a modified WRX however. I think the new Brembos aren't rated all that highly.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-28-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: your
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast