New WRX owner with a ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on New WRX owner with a ? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Cool, I'm glad you supplied me with the most general and non-informative opinion-answer ever. 😜 I know it doesn't add ...

New WRX owner with a ?

Cool, I'm glad you supplied me with the most general and non-informative opinion-answer ever. 😜

I know it doesn't add power, adding an intake is not my desperate attempt at adding moar powah! I actually just want to hear the turbo. So for me, I do see a reason to change the intake...but that wasn't my question.

Since you did partially answer my question, let's build on it.

I guess you mean to say that certain intakes require tuning, while others don't? Or perhaps certain other factors come into play? How will I know in which instances I will need a tune? Could you be more specific, please?

Sent from my Batphone using Tapatalk
    2015 STi Launch Edition - Stock and awesome
    2013 DCP FXT - TP Stage 2 - Perrin dp - STi catback - 2011 WRX wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

New WRX owner with a ?

OK before talking intakes though, and since I can't see your model, does your car have a silencer? If so maybe a silencer delete will get you the sound you like without much trouble and with zero cost. Something to consider. You could get the result you want for free maybe.

So, about intakes. There are two types: ones that require a new map and ones that don't. I like neither. The ones that don't require a new map don't seem like they make a difference worth their expense, since after all they don't make a difference requiring a new map. The ones that do require a new map make a difference large enough to require remapping the car, so they're not worth the expense. Intakes can't win with me.

Add to that the filter issue - the stock filter is excellent and the stock intake is great at doing its most important job: providing clean air. High flow filters that clean better would be great. So would world peace. The stock setup yields low dirt levels in the motor, when measured in terms of Si in the oil. Miracle filters are underwhelming.

Now, the SPT intake apparently does not require a map. It does affect your warranty, but it comes with its own warranty terms. I believe other makers have also claimed theirs do not require a map - have you contacted Cobb for example?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

New WRX owner with a ?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK before talking intakes though, and since I can't see your model, does your car have a silencer? If so maybe a silencer delete will get you the sound you like without much trouble and with zero cost. Something to consider. You could get the result you want for free maybe.

So, about intakes. There are two types: ones that require a new map and ones that don't. I like neither. The ones that don't require a new map don't seem like they make a difference worth their expense, since after all they don't make a difference requiring a new map. The ones that do require a new map make a difference large enough to require remapping the car, so they're not worth the expense. Intakes can't win with me.

Add to that the filter issue - the stock filter is excellent and the stock intake is great at doing its most important job: providing clean air. High flow filters that clean better would be great. So would world peace. The stock setup yields low dirt levels in the motor, when measured in terms of Si in the oil. Miracle filters are underwhelming.

Now, the SPT intake apparently does not require a map. It does affect your warranty, but it comes with its own warranty terms. I believe other makers have also claimed theirs do not require a map - have you contacted Cobb for example?
    Now we're cookin' with gas!

Actually, the day after I bought my car (2012 WRX) I went on an excursion to seek and destroy the silencer. 15 minutes later, I discovered that I don't have one. Back to the drawing board.

I would love to get a Cobb SF intake, as I want to go with a mod theme of all Cobb stuff (Cobb CBE, Intake, and AP). My power goals are yawn-inducing.

I don't plan on racing anyone ever, or tracking it, or auto-x.

I understand the warranty issues with modding and I'm ok with this level of modding and the implications of doing so.

Mainly, I hate the sound of gear whine and love the sound of turbos and boxer rumble. So, I want an intake and CBE to hide the sound I don't want and amplify the sound I do want.
    However, I also want an AP because I understand the difference between stock and stage 1 to be night and day.

What say you to that?

I Support ClubWRX

New WRX owner with a ?

Aha! The plot thickens as you know since there is no silencer.

I suspect the cat back will contribute the most to the sound. Still, since you want an AP anyway then check the map notes for their take on intake info.

Also, I have read that for your year an intake may make meaningful gains. I don't own your year so am unsure though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

New WRX owner with a ?

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Aha! The plot thickens as you know since there is no silencer.

I suspect the cat back will contribute the most to the sound. Still, since you want an AP anyway then check the map notes for their take on intake info.

Also, I have read that for your year an intake may make meaningful gains. I don't own your year so am unsure though.
    I've heard the same, and it would seem that dyno results substantiate it. In fact, it almost seems like '12 WRX's are underrated from the factory given the stock dyno numbers. Of course the dynos could have just been generous. I don't know much about that.

When I looked it up, I found dynos saying a stock '12 WRX put down 251awhp. That would mean only about 5% drivetrain loss from the 265 crank hp. That sounds unrealistic to me, but again, I don't know much.

Quote Originally Posted by XTi24 View Post
    I've heard the same, and it would seem that dyno results substantiate it. In fact, it almost seems like '12 WRX's are underrated from the factory given the stock dyno numbers. Of course the dynos could have just been generous. I don't know much about that.

When I looked it up, I found dynos saying a stock '12 WRX put down 251awhp. That would mean only about 5% drivetrain loss from the 265 crank hp. That sounds unrealistic to me, but again, I don't know much.

If COBB continues on the same path they've done with their maps, they should be building one that supports an AEM intake. Since it is a cold air intake whereas COBB is a short ram, I would recommend AEM. It definitely increases turbo spool sound and is of very good quality.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

New WRX owner with a ?

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    If COBB continues on the same path they've done with their maps, they should be building one that supports an AEM intake. Since it is a cold air intake whereas COBB is a short ram, I would recommend AEM. It definitely increases turbo spool sound and is of very good quality.
    I'm looking to do something relatively soon. So, I guess I can start with the Cobb SF and switch to something better down the road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12