Noob here!

This is a discussion on Noob here! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Been hanging around for a little while, already appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. I'm getting ready to order my ...

Noob here!

Been hanging around for a little while, already appreciate the wealth of knowledge here. I'm getting ready to order my 1st Subaru. Looking at the 5 door WRX, mostly going to keep it stock as a high mileage commuter.
    Any tips or hints would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome! What sort of tips/hints are you seeking?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you looking to purchase a new WRX? Tips on what to change other then engine performance?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Looking at ordering a 13. taking it pretty slow on any performance upgrades, i guess i was refering to tips on the purchasing process. I'm only having the short throw shifter added performance wise. The initial purchase is going to take up most of my on hand cash to keep my payment low. just curious if i would be selling myself short by not adding a few other options.
    I contacted Clayton from this site who offers the 500 under invoice, so iguess that was a good start.

I Support ClubWRX
    I purchased mine from Clayton he was great. I added the short shifter, arm rest extension, and SPT exhaust. I haven't had any performance upgrades to my car and have had it for 7months and I am more then happy with it. If you haven't sat in one of the cars see how it feels you may want the arm rest extension. I havea 45min-1hr commute and feel its needed. Some people say that you may want to upgrade the head unit so you may want to put some money aside for that.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Welcome! The short throw shifter is generally considered one of the best things to do for these cars, as the stock setup is...clunky. So that's a good upgrade, I would argue that any of the other factory offered additions aren't "necessary" and are more based on personal preference. Other complaints include the stereo and the interior not being as fancy as other cars. The stereo can always be upgraded later and the stock option (factory subwoofer) is not very good. Interior, well, we all just accept that we're buying the car for the drivetrain, not for a spa treatment
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

I'm not a fan of the OE short shifter. Between financing the cost over the term of the loan, you have a $500 SS that gives a negligible benefit. Aftermarket is far superior both in throw reduction and feel, and can be had for $200 for the lever and all bushings (where the OE kit still requires the bushings for any increase in feel).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Welcome

I'm not a fan of the OE short shifter. Between financing the cost over the term of the loan, you have a $500 SS that gives a negligible benefit. Aftermarket is far superior both in throw reduction and feel, and can be had for $200 for the lever and all bushings (where the OE kit still requires the bushings for any increase in feel).
    I wholly disagree. Well on the part about the the benefit being negligible. I completely agree on the price being outrageous for the OEM short shifter, but there is a clear and utter difference between the factory-optioned short shifter and the OEM shifter, especially with bushings. The throw on my factory short shifter is about the same as a Kartboy.

Facebook me here

Thought the OEM short shifter only reduced throw by about 15%, where as the KB throw is about 30% reduction?

Either way...the OEM doesn't actually shorten the lever itself like an aftermarket replacement. It only shortens the linkage itself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Thought the OEM short shifter only reduced throw by about 15%, where as the KB throw is about 30% reduction?
    OE: 10%
    Kartboy: 40%
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    OE: 10%
    Kartboy: 40%
    Maybe it was different in 2003, but my shifter throw is similar to my buddy's Karboy. Just saying Matty. I also don't like the stupid "sunken shifter" look. Looks like you got pissed at your shifter and domestic abuse ensued.

Facebook me here

I would have to agree with the way "sunken shifter" looks. It is horrible.
    Looking for tires in los angeles ca for my Impreza.