New to Subaru

This is a discussion on New to Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi ya'll, I just recently purchased my first Subaru, 02 WRX auto with just over 100k! I love the car! ...

New to Subaru

Hi ya'll, I just recently purchased my first Subaru, 02 WRX auto with just over 100k! I love the car! I used to have a DSM and this car is way more fun to drive! Saddly I don't know alot about these cars, but I'm sure I'll learn. I am hoping it is a little more reliable than my old DSM was.
    I was just curious if someone could point me in the right direction. I am looking to see what are some good preventive maintenance and general "house keeping" I can do on the car before I start modding and playing with the boost and such.
    I am talking about things like cleaning out the inter cooler with acetone, changing the and tranny fluid... just basic stuff like that. I am not gonna start modding this car until I've got it running as close to the the stock HP/TQ as possible.
    The car has minimal mods (air intake, and 3" catback)
    Also gauges... I am planning on getting a boost gauge and air/fuel, any other suggestions?
    Any help would be great! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    an intake doesnt belong on the car? What tune is on the car?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Before you start modding I would start with a compression/ leakdown test (get an idea how healthy the motor is )

What type of tune is on the car? Air intake does not belong if there is no tune.

Also be sure you are running a a/m up pipe that should be your first mod if it hasn't already been done. Keep in mind you need to do the 100k maintenance.. Timing belt is a must past 105k as well. If you don't plan on doing the 100k maintenance yourself its time for a service from the dealership.

Ya I was reading that about the timing bet in a newbie tech thread, I will probably do that this week or take it to a shop.
    I am not sure what type of tune, if any was done on the car. It is pretty much just a K/N cone air filter that looks like it replaced what may have been a filter box????

Welcome!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"