Your experiences with WRX reliability
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Your experiences with WRX reliability within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all, I'm not a WRX owner, but soon to be one hopefully. I currently drive a 2002 Maxima which ...

Your experiences with WRX reliability

Hi all, I'm not a WRX owner, but soon to be one hopefully. I currently drive a 2002 Maxima which is bone stock to get me by until February 2013 when my driving privileges get fully restored. In the last couple years, Subaru's have really grown on me, I've seen more and more around and I just love everything about them. I would love to one day be an owner of a WRX but I do have a heavy foot often times . I was wondering how much abuse can these cars really take? How are the trannys in the 02-06 cars? (The year range I plan on purchasing) How is engine reliability for most of you? (Assuming you have kept up with regular maintenance). What are some bigger jobs that need to be done along the way as the miles go up? (I plan on buying used so bigger scheduled maintenance jobs will obviously be required). I'm sure I have a lot to learn, but please, enlighten me ClubWRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Reliability depends on maintenance and the life the car has lead. Abuse will cause unnecessary wear.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    My opinion is... if they haven't been abused, or modified, they'll last as long as any honda or toyota... but... if you're a moron like me, and modify them... then things start to go out.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah the reliability is great with normal wear and tear and maintenance. Abuse will degrade reliability proportionally. Modifying will reduce reliability as well. Excess of both of them together will dramatically reduce reliability. Which is why you should be very careful when looking at used. You should always get one checked out by somebody qualified.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Yeah the reliability is great with normal wear and tear and maintenance. Abuse will degrade reliability proportionally. Modifying will reduce reliability as well. Excess of both of them together will dramatically reduce reliability. Which is why you should be very careful when looking at used. You should always get one checked out by somebody qualified.
    This.

These cars will last forever with proper maintanence if you dont mod it up. The more you do, the more possibilities something will go wrong, it's like this with most cars tho. Personally I had a horrible time with my wrx, was always fixing a new squeak or rattle which is a real aggravation to me, but my car had 150k miles so I don't blame the car as much as our horrible highways and roads in St Louis for slowly beating on it.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

That was one of the reasons I passed on a reasonably priced 07 STi in the area. The ad from the dealer was "fastest in the area" or something like that. Id rather mod one myself than get one fully modded.
    I know how I drive, and I can only guess that someone else who does that probably drives in a similar way. I don't think that minor mods to the intake or exhaust will reduce the reliability of the car, but the kind of driving the usually follows does.

Now, not to thread jack or anything, but as you guys state modifications will cause wear and tear more then stock (which makes sense) BUT, does a stage 1 COBB AP tune really do less 'damage' on the engine then the stock tune?

They will last just as long as any other car if they haven't been modified or abused. Once you start modding them you can expect a hefty chunk taken out of your pocket to start fixing stuff. If you do have plans to modify I will say stage 2 is the safest you're going to get with mods after that you can expect to have oh **** fund so when things go wrong.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Now, not to thread jack or anything, but as you guys state modifications will cause wear and tear more then stock (which makes sense) BUT, does a stage 1 COBB AP tune really do less 'damage' on the engine then the stock tune?
    Some would argue yes because of the knock that some people see on the stock tune... but the fact of the matter is... almost all cars knock under certain low loads. Knock doesn't kill engines. Knock under high load, and at high RPM... that's what blows an engine. So I'd argue that there's nothing wrong with the stock tune... it's the way it is for a reason. And subaru engineers have a lot more knowhow than any performance tuner ever will.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ah, so I understand. But, lets say, I drive the car, decently hard. I mean I am on 'on-ramp warrior' and quite often have a buddy in the car and we wanna put a quick smile on our faces by running 2nd gear out to redline. (This is on a 'highway' with stoplights every 200-300 yards so its like a 55MPH)

I don't beat the crap out of it and drive it like a race car (anymore) but I do want to be able to stomp on it sometimes.

Suggest a COBB AP or stay stock?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think it matters as far as reliability... but I don't know of any way to do a direct comparison
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

The goal is to find a low-ish mileage near stock car. I've seen that the stage 2 seems to be the most popular tune that people go with. Why is that and how much is really affected at this stage?

I Support ClubWRX
    it's easy, and it doesn't really affect reliability as far as we know. I'd buy a used car with a cobb stage 2 package. That's where I'd stop though.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I've thought about that, but as far as modifying how far could I go power wise with the stage 2 tune?

I Support ClubWRX
    no more engine stuff. otherwise it won't be stage 2 anymore
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast