Your experiences with WRX reliability - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Your experiences with WRX reliability within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; From the sound of things the biggest thing to worry about with any of the mods is that it is ...

From the sound of things the biggest thing to worry about with any of the mods is that it is performed correctly. Most of the cars I've seen you could do a cat-back mod or an intake without doing a re-map. On the subie, the only thing I've seen is that if you are doing anything, you need to re-map, Cobb being the easiest. I was a little disappointed with this as I REALLY want to do a short ram, but don't want to drop $700+ on an intake + Cobb. I've read that without a re-map, they run too lean, which will definitely lead to premature engine wear.
    Any advice on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    To the OP, I'm at 108k miles on my '06 with hardly a hiccup. Things replaced aside from regular maintenance items were a soft suspension that I happily replaced, and wheel bearings front and rear (very common). With the right owner, who actually knows how to properly maintain these vehicles, they'll last and last and last.

Quote Originally Posted by STI*NG View Post
    From the sound of things the biggest thing to worry about with any of the mods is that it is performed correctly. Most of the cars I've seen you could do a cat-back mod or an intake without doing a re-map. On the subie, the only thing I've seen is that if you are doing anything, you need to re-map, Cobb being the easiest. I was a little disappointed with this as I REALLY want to do a short ram, but don't want to drop $700+ on an intake + Cobb. I've read that without a re-map, they run too lean, which will definitely lead to premature engine wear.
    Any advice on this?
    Not everything requires a retune, and it isn't universal across the board. Catbacks don't require a reflash, for instance, and on 02-03 WRX's, even a downpipe replacement doesn't REQUIRE a retune, though it is highly recommended. On newer vehicels, catbacks or axlebacks are really the only engine modification that you can get away with without tuning. Why do you REALLY want to do a short ram intake in the first place?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    To the OP, I'm at 108k miles on my '06 with hardly a hiccup. Things replaced aside from regular maintenance items were a soft suspension that I happily replaced, and wheel bearings front and rear (very common). With the right owner, who actually knows how to properly maintain these vehicles, they'll last and last and last.

Not everything requires a retune, and it isn't universal across the board. Catbacks don't require a reflash, for instance, and on 02-03 WRX's, even a downpipe replacement doesn't REQUIRE a retune, though it is highly recommended. On newer vehicels, catbacks or axlebacks are really the only engine modification that you can get away with without tuning. Why do you REALLY want to do a short ram intake in the first place?
    It's my first turbo, and I would like to hear the turbo spool and the BOV. With the stock airbox it seems almost too civilized. The cold air intakes seem like they are problematic with their placement, so I'm assuming the short ram is the way to go.
    Plus I like the a little bit more noise during acceleration without the added full time noise of an aftermarket exhaust. I had a short ram on my Eclipse and it sounded great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12