New 2013 WRX

This is a discussion on New 2013 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, First WRX, first post! So I was looking for a WRX for a few months and when the ...

New 2013 WRX

Hey guys,

First WRX, first post! So I was looking for a WRX for a few months and when the new ones started hitting the dealers in September I felt like I had to jump on it. Man are they in demand and fly off the lots. I found one about an hour and a half away (a dark gray base model with a couple options -- spoiler and fog lights) and put a down on it over the phone. Went to the dealer, finalized the details, and then it was time to teach myself to drive stick in the parking lot, haha. After 20 minutes or so of starting (and stalling), I was ready for the trip home.

The next day I called into work and designated the day just for driving it. I started out just driving around the neighborhood, starting and stopping every couple of houses. Well... one of the neighbors ended up calling the cops on me later in the day, but the cop was understanding and got a good laugh out of it.

I've had it less than a week, but love it already. I'm still learning how to drive stick smoothly so that's where most of my time has been spent, but it sounds really good and already I can feel how well it handles and man is it quick (however, I'm trying to stay out of the turbo for the first 1,000 miles or so to help with breaking in the engine).

I was already part of the Subaru family (my wife and I bought an 05 Forester a few years ago) but am definitely glad to have a WRX now too.

Anyway, here are a couple pics (and lets go bills!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left_front.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	108314

Name:	pass_profile.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	108315

Name:	100_miles.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	108316

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Haha great story!

Congrats on the car... it looks great!!

Grats on the Subie. I hope to have mine by this time next week.

Pretty soon you'll be driving and shifting and barely thinking about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    congrats on the car
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Welcome! Just follow the break-in procedure from the manual and you'll be fine, but common knowledge is that you don't want to totally stay out of boost. Shift before 4k, vary rpms (no cruise control), but don't be afraid of some half throttle or so and feeling a little boost.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Congrats on the WRX! Just picked mine up on Friday. Not bashing you but it amazes me how many people will buy these cars and not even know how to drive a manual before hand. I tip my hat to you for taking the leap and buying and learning on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Welcome! Just follow the break-in procedure from the manual and you'll be fine, but common knowledge is that you don't want to totally stay out of boost. Shift before 4k, vary rpms (no cruise control), but don't be afraid of some half throttle or so and feeling a little boost.
    In reference to this, its funny because everybody on here has said this exactly, i.e. Shift before 4k, vary rpm's, etc. The day I picked my up, I asked them about break in and they told me there is no break-in for these cars. They told me to drive it like I've had it for years right off the lot. (I intended to anyway.)

Good luck with the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by GtEcH25 View Post
    Congrats on the WRX! Just picked mine up on Friday. Not bashing you but it amazes me how many people will buy these cars and not even know how to drive a manual before hand. I tip my hat to you for taking the leap and buying and learning on the spot.

In reference to this, its funny because everybody on here has said this exactly, i.e. Shift before 4k, vary rpm's, etc. The day I picked my up, I asked them about break in and they told me there is no break-in for these cars. They told me to drive it like I've had it for years right off the lot. (I intended to anyway.)

Good luck with the ride!
    Interesting! It is almost shocking to me that a dealership would flagrantly ignore themanufacturer's recommendation. I would peraonally stick with what the people who madethe car sat, not the salesman who sold it. si stuck with what Subaru says, 1000 miles seems like a long time at the time, but it isn't in the scheme of things.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

i thought they went back with no chrome headlights?