New 2013 WRX (need help)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2013 WRX (need help) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello! I just registered on this forum after browsing around for a while. I have decided my next car will ...

New 2013 WRX (need help)

Hello! I just registered on this forum after browsing around for a while. I have decided my next car will be a 2013 base WRX 5-door hatchback. The dealer is getting one in around 9/26 and after talking to them they strongly suggest that I pay a $500 deposit to reserve the car. He told me the car is in such high demand that there is no way it will still be available. The car is black, base, auto-dim mirror, xm radio and the website lists the car at $27,346. Also if for any reason I do not purchase the car, I wont get my $500 deposit back unless the car is flawed.

1. Should I put down the deposit?
    2. After putting down the deposit is it still possible to get the price down? If so, how much lower should I go/should they be willing to go?
    3. Anything else I should know before stepping into the dealership?

Thank you, I am new at buying new cars so anything helps!
    Last edited by SJ9ninety; 09-12-2012 at 10:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

New 2013 WRX (need help)

Welcome. Go to the Purchasing forum
    and read the thread with purchasing tips. They may sell the car but Subaru will make more, and you can order one at anytime and wait. I don't do non refundable deposits but that's me.

It does not matter what they want for the car. All that matters is what you will pay. Make an offer at any time and simply walk if they don't like it. It's a mass produced Japanese car. They'll make more.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX

New 2013 WRX (need help)

In fact think about it: if the car will sell anyway there is no need for them to keep your deposit; they'll have lost no money.

I don't do non refundable deposits.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If you want the car then, yes, you should put down a deposit. But if they're stating it's a non-refundable deposit, don't expect them to come down on price later. They have you over a barrel - if they stick to their price and you back out, they keep your $500 and sell the car to someone else. There's no incentive for them to come down on price when the car is in high demand. Incidentally, the dealer I bought my car from said straight away that my deposit was refundable. They weren't special ordering the car in lime green with orange seats and could sell it the next day if I changed my mind.

I'll let someone else answer as to whether you're getting a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    In fact think about it: if the car will sell anyway there is no need for them to keep your deposit; they'll have lost no money.
    Exactly.

I Support ClubWRX

New 2013 WRX (need help)

The more I think about it the more I'd find another dealer or even another marque if no dealers are in your area. It's getting harder to find a bad car from any brand so it's a buyer's market.

I Support ClubWRX

New 2013 WRX (need help)

If I was to put down a deposit on a car itd be ordered the way I wanted it.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

No way I would leave a non refundable deposit.

Here is now the purcahse of my 2012 wagon went.

I test drive two sedans, a WRX and an STI. Decided on the WRX but needed a hatch, base and wanted silver or dark grey. Dealer has two hatches coming in on two weeks. A blue one, base, just like I want and a white one, loaded, limited. I left a deposit and when the cars arrived I had three choice.

1), complete the purchase on the Blue WRX. Every dollar and penny was spelled out on a contract.
    2), I don't like the blue, and buy the Pearl White one, more money, again, every penny written out.
    3), take back my $700 and walk away

Two weeks later the cars came in, The blue grew on me and I took it. Financing rates dropped slightly so I ended up paying the exact same amount, but monthly payment was $5 less then the contract we had two weeks prior.

I just ordered my 13 base hatch and it was "dealership policy" to take a non-refundable deposit... I HATED this, and argued it for several hours, literally... they never budged.. I ordered the exact car I wanted, they gave me an AMAZING price (maybe the record lowest 13 wrx?) and I had haggled with so many other dealerships and I knew none of them could touch this deal that I gave them the deposit. I still don't like it, but I couldn't have walked away, I would have been spending way more elsewhere.

1. Never put down a non-refundable deposit. Might as well just hand them $500.

2. They have you over a barrel. Price sounds high for base model, but demand is very high.

3. Get EVERYTHING in writing, and signed by the Sales Manager. Otherwise, they can lie all day, and you will be out $500 if they try to hose you. Read the entire sales contract, especially the small print and "back pages". Ignore everything the salesman says about features/options/performance - probably lies.

That price is MSRP and is right. Doesn't mean you have to pay that... however, don't expect to come very far off of MSPR on a car that they have already ordered.. if you order a car you can get a much better price, but you have to wait longer... I decided I could wait.

The car is in demand, but there will definitely be more. Don't let that stop you from getting a deal either. When I bought mine I had to have a limited, with a hatchback, in blue. There was something like three for sale on on the east coast at the time, but I still got a decent price!

I wouldn't put down a non-refundable deposit as people are saying, but if that's exactly what you want and you agree on a price, then put it down. I wouldn't expect them to go lower after you give them the deposit though. I don't know where you are located, but I believe that is a bit high for a base model with very few options. I think we have a car-buying program on this forum now? Not sure if it's still going, but definitely look into that!

I really swear that I remember my salesman telling me that Subaru of America stipulates that dealerships can only ask for $200 (i think it was $200) deposit that is entirely refundable. Though, that may have been for ordering a car, and there may be different rules for a car that is already on the way.

Do you have a time constraint on when you need to buy? If I were you I would order the car I want. These cars are in demand, but they're hardly rare.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I was pretty set on getting my WRX, so it was just working the guy to get a good deal before I put down my deposit - but I didn't really care about putting one down to "reserve" the car. Sure buddy, now go get me my car (they weren't getting this model shipped, and they had to do a dealer trade to do it).

But I did have the guy hand-write into the deposit contract that the 500 would be refundable pending a satisfactory test-drive.

If you put down a deposit, just expect to go through with it. You're pretty much throwing down the first domino and it is a contractual agreement to buy the car (some states have pull-out clauses or something though, but only for a few days).

I thought it was illegal to take your deposit if you end up walking away from a sale. That's how it is in Utah. You should check your local law to see about this no refundable deposit even if you walk from the sale.
    Current- 11 WRX STi Hatchback
    Sold- 09 G37x Coupe
    Sold- 92 Civic Ex
    Totaled- 08 WRX Premium
    Sold- 02 IS 300

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast