New member signing in from Vancouver, WA
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New member signing in from Vancouver, WA within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just sold my 2011 Kawasaki ZX10r and gonna hang up my leathers for a while. Debating over a new STi ...

New member signing in from Vancouver, WA

Just sold my 2011 Kawasaki ZX10r and gonna hang up my leathers for a while. Debating over a new STi or BMW 335i to satisfy my "performance" needs. I've owned a number of BMW's but the STi has always intrigued me. Went to my local dealer to look at a BRZ and took my 7 year old son with me. Awesome car, but way too small. I'm a bit torn over spending the better part of $40k on a Subaru, but the resale value on the STi is so solid it seems to make up for the entry price. I'll probably be buying after the first of the year. I'd love to get a pro tune done at Surgeline/COBB in Portland, but am worried about losing my warranty. The stock lean tune worries me too. I joined one of the other STi forums a while back and all this "ringland" talk has me a bit worried. Is it overblown on the forums or a legitimate concern?

My other concern is being a 43 year old dad driving a car that so many "young" people seem to own. I'm not sure how guys in their 20's can afford these things, but that seems to be the demographic I see driving them in this area.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: New member signing in from Vancouver, WA

I was in the same boat, I was looking at 335 and 135's even. I just read entirely too much about sub frames cracking, broken wheels, turbos, blown engines and I figured I would never want to cope with the cost of BMW parts out of warranty. I have a few friends, ranging from 3k to nearly 20k miles on new STI's without a single issue in regard to ring lands or any engine failure for that matter. While I think it is an issue to consider and be aware of, it may not be quite as prevalent as forum searches would lead you to believe. I have just over 9k miles on my 11 and no problems to speak of, sometimes some finicky Bluetooth connections or little rattles but nothing I can't live with. I know what you mean with the age of people driving them, I'm 30 and it seems I'm out of place haha. I still have the wing on as well, as ostentatious as it may be! I'd be comfortable saying I'd do the same again if faced with that choice, it is fun, cheap to own, and I don't writhe thinking about it in parking lots like it has BMW or Benz priced paint and body work. The biggest thing is getting a decent dealer to let you test drive it properly. For what it is worth, my friend has an 11 sedan that has a tune and has been telling me to do it asap, as he valued it that much. Maybe find a friendly dealer that won't give you trouble over an AP type tune, as he managed to, and then no worries.

My wife has worked as the HR manager for a local multi-line dealer for 15 years that sells Subaru, so hopefully I can get somewhat of a deal. As far as warranty and tuning, a neighbor of mine (probably in his 60's) has a new STi from the same dealer and they said tuning or mods would void the warranty for them, so not sure on that one.

This topic might interest you:
    What is the average age of a new WRX/STI owner

The general stereotype of WRX's is that it's a young persons' car, but then again there is a pretty big douchebag stereotype when looking at BMW's.

I'd be happy with either, but the STi looks better in performance, and resale. They're both very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
    Just sold my 2011 Kawasaki ZX10r and gonna hang up my leathers for a while. Debating over a new STi or BMW 335i to satisfy my "performance" needs. I've owned a number of BMW's but the STi has always intrigued me. Went to my local dealer to look at a BRZ and took my 7 year old son with me. Awesome car, but way too small. I'm a bit torn over spending the better part of $40k on a Subaru, but the resale value on the STi is so solid it seems to make up for the entry price. I'll probably be buying after the first of the year. I'd love to get a pro tune done at Surgeline/COBB in Portland, but am worried about losing my warranty. The stock lean tune worries me too. I joined one of the other STi forums a while back and all this "ringland" talk has me a bit worried. Is it overblown on the forums or a legitimate concern?

My other concern is being a 43 year old dad driving a car that so many "young" people seem to own. I'm not sure how guys in their 20's can afford these things, but that seems to be the demographic I see driving them in this area.
    So true about the demographic point. I'm in NE Portland and sometimes feel a bit old to be driving my '09 WRX with all the Subarus on pink and green wheels around here but then I realize my car doesn't look like that. I think the biggest issue is deciding whether or not you want to accept the decidedly cheap interior of Subarus. My WRX has been littered with rattles, which after 3 years I finally have them under control but the car is still loud. And like someone else said, there is also the stereotype of BMW drivers. I guess pick your poison, right?

I don't know if I'd be terribly worried about the ringland issue. I think that is something of the past but I could be wrong. I will say that my WRX recently suffered a bearing failure (much talked about early '09 production issue) and the dealership/SOA took care of it without a question asked. I say get in a 335i and an STI then make the decision. Both are pretty awesome cars--I'd happily drive either of them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.