Save it or sell it
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Save it or sell it within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So as my profile stated I recently bought a 2002 Subaru impreza Wrx. The car is beautiful but mechanically it ...

Save it or sell it

So as my profile stated I recently bought a 2002 Subaru impreza Wrx. The car is beautiful but mechanically it needs work. So when I bought it I changed the brake pads , ball joints. The car also has had a remanufactured computer installed, new maf sensor, timing belt, water pump, accessory belt, spark plugs , complete tuneup. Overall I've spent like 2k in maintenance, however after the last part was installed the car is smoking white smoke. My mechanic told me he thinks the valve seals are done on the car. However I have been reading several forums saying that if the turbo seals go bad this will blow blueish white smoke. Now here's the thing drove the car and noticed smoke coming out of the hood scoop , popped the hood and noticed the oil supply to the turbo was dripping onto to the turbo and causing the smoke. To me this seems like it could have caused the turbo or seals to go and cause the smoke, assuming the turbo isn't being properly lubricated. Does this seem like a possibility? Also is there a Way to check the valve seals without ripping the motor apart ? Also the security light constantly flashes a single time repeatedly and the car won't start. You can hear w everything cycle electronically but the motor doesn't turn over. Any ideas? One last thing noticed oil spots on the ground in front of where the turbo is, dont know what that's about , also is the oil in the motor the supply for the turbo, and would putting Lucas oil in the engine oil stop the turbo seals from smoking of they're bad? Thanks to alll who respond and sorry for the long post

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sell
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Count up how much you would lose from selling it and compare it to the benefit of getting it to run right. But it sounds like a pain and unless you want to put money down in upgrade/replacement parts/labor I would sell.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

The motor oil is also the lubrication for the turbo. Bad seals of any kind can NOT be repaired with "special" oils or additives. Never have I seen anything that actually worked. For the valves the engine valve covers would have to be removed at the very least. Of course those are not easy to get to... Selling is probably your best bet. See what else the marked has available and how soon would you really want it. I usually take my time there's always a good deal coming up sometime when.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Re: Save it or sell it

Funny thing about subies is if lasts past 80k your good once you see smoke bye bye car.
    Sell it you can unless your rich

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by 02wrxguy View Post
    Overall I've spent like 2k in maintenance, however after the last part was installed the car is smoking white smoke.
    What part was installed?

If the turbo wasn't getting oil, then it's entirely possible it's toast. How long do you think it was without oil? The dripping on the turbo wouldn't cause it to fail, but it would definitely cause smoke because they're extremely hot and the oil would be burning. Is the turbo making any unusual noises, or does it sound ok? Have you checked for shaft play?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.