2005 WRX sti vs 2013 Wrx STI
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2005 WRX sti vs 2013 Wrx STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Ok guys/girls I have already ordered a 2013 WRX Sti, however this week i found a used 2005 WRX Sti ...

2005 WRX sti vs 2013 Wrx STI

Ok guys/girls I have already ordered a 2013 WRX Sti, however this week i found a used 2005 WRX Sti with low miles and the price is not bad(Its completely stock).

My question is whats the main differences between the two cars(05 and 13)? and is it worth 20k to go from a low miles (40k) 05 for the 2013.

If so please give me some supporting facts.

I like how the 05 looks its more rugged.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Drive both and decide. FWIW, I wouldn't buy a used STi.

I greatly prefer the raw feeling of the older cars. However, it is largely preferential.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Ditto its raw and rough. but if the new ones are 20 grand faster then i should keep my order, and if I dont keep my order maybe someone else on this board wants it so they dont have to wait.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtyper View Post
    Ditto its raw and rough. but if the new ones are 20 grand faster then i should keep my order, and if I dont keep my order maybe someone else on this board wants it so they dont have to wait.
    The old WRX STi are likely quicker around the track, but lack the refinement and interior that the new models enjoy.

Either way, my argument is based off the simple fact that the majority of Subaru WRX STi have been driven HARD in the past. Should you not wish to inherit another's problems, I would stick to purchasing a fresh copy.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thats what i Was thinking but the used one is not modified at all. I thought that was a plus, however i think the guy is younger that I would be buying it from. I just feel like if its completely stock then it probably runs fine? Did the 2005s have any major issues with it?

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    ... the simple fact that the majority of Subaru WRX STi have been driven HARD in the past..

exactly my thought as I read the OP.

Is there a good way to test the car to make sure its in good condition? I was going to drive it the problem is the car is in another state(far away) and I will only get to drive it when i go to look at the car and purchase it. Anyone have and idea what a new motor and a new transmission costs for this car?

Anyone have and idea what a new motor and a new transmission costs for this car?
    If you think the car is in perfect running condition why on earth would you ask this?

Please read this thread:
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Is there a good way to test the car to make sure its in good condition? I was going to drive it the problem is the car is in another state(far away) and I will only get to drive it when i go to look at the car and purchase it. Anyone have and idea what a new motor and a new transmission costs for this car?
    Please read the stickies (FAQ's) in the Car Purchasing Forum. They are full of helpful information.
    The STI has a highly regarded 6-speed manual and should never have to be replaced. Engine installations vary wildly depending on location, and who is doing the work. You'll need to check prices in your area.

Registered User XxJUNCTIONSTIxX's Avatar
    I personally like the 05's better there lighter and look way better. But the previous comments were right subies are naturally diven hard. I bought mine for only 16k but it needs a lot of work. But to find one completely stock and unmolested is very hard to find which comes down to this: the cost. If the 05 turns out to have a few little things would you rather pay those or pay 30k+ for the new one? I personally like to pay 16k+ 2k in repairs and have 10k in play money than pay 30k+ for a new stock car. But then again that depends on if you want to keep it stock or not.

Yeah the deal is I can get a 2013 for 34ish and the 05 for 20k with about 40k miles. I like to keep things stock so I don't know what's best. Any other thoughts ? Is it worth the 15-16k difference to get one new vs a mystery box . Its a tuff choice as is buying an sti lol.

Another thought is depreciation . My thought was that the 2005 was going to depreciate a lot slower because its already past the major depreciation stage(first few years)

I love my 05 STI FWIW...but they are 7 year old cars now. If its low miles and you can get it for >$17k, do it. So long as it checks out with third party inspections, maintenance records, compression tests, etc.

But continued reading shows you are looking at $20k for it...which is a bit much IMO. I got my 05 STI for $20k 2 and a half years ago with 80k on the clock.

If you can afford it comfortably...I'd keep the order for the 2013 STI, especially if you aren't planning on modding. You'll be getting a brand new car that you know exactly what its been through.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Registered User XxJUNCTIONSTIxX's Avatar
    Yeah if your keepin it stock go with the 2013. I love my 05 and ill never leave it but im also doing mods. Since your going stock go with 2013 and get that nice warranty

What about depresiation ? Doesn't a new car depreciate way faster ? Like in 5 years the 05 with 90k miles is worth about 15k . In 5 years the 2013 will be worth ~25k right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast