wrx or ms3 ?

This is a discussion on wrx or ms3 ? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone Iím Anthony, My family is growing and i need a bigger vehicle. Iím currently driving a 2000 Honda ...

wrx or ms3 ?

Hi everyone Iím Anthony,

My family is growing and i need a bigger vehicle. Iím currently driving a 2000 Honda s2000. Iíve been doing research on newer cars Iíve narrowed it down to an wrx or an ms3, but the forces of nature is pulling more towards the wrx. The only factor keeping me on the ms3 is the price and options it comes with for the price (24000). The wrx (base 25000) is awd and have lots of potential. It also looks better and has a long history of reliability. I know posting this on a wrx forum is biased but you guys might convince me that wrx is the way to go? I have several months to make the decision is the new 2013 going to be any different? I read somewhere the base wrx will come with a 6 speed trans?
    Thank you for the input.
    Atranz

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! Like you said, by posting on a wrx forum your mostly if not all going to get wrx! So my answer, wrx!!! Lol

I love my wrx, no regrets. I love the fact that it's awd, can't wait for snow!

13 will be the same as 12... 5spd.
    Sti, 6spd.

Good luck!

I had a 2008 MS3. I liked it a lot. My wife has a regular 2.5 3 and I have a mazda 6 right now - so we are a bit of a Mazda family. That being said, I just ordered a 2012/2013 wrx and I'm trading in my 6 on it.

The deciding factor for me was the AWD with performance. I live in an area where we can get a lot of snow all at once, and it isn't removed that often (i.e. the City is cheap and they don't plow well). With my (2) kids at daycare, I need something that can get me through just about whatever nature throws at me, so I can pick them up on time and avoid the ridiculous late fees. If there wasn't snow around my area, the choice would have been MUCH harder. I drove the CX5, but that needs another 200 hp to be anywhere near fun to drive.

I also needed a car that was sporty and fun to drive, as well as have the ability to load it up with kids stuff. All right, NEED might be an overstatement, but you understand what I mean I think. That really limited the cars I looked at way down. The MS3 and the WRX and the evo were the remaining 3 cars on my list. The evo seemed cheap overall to me (please don't flame, that's a personal opinion), but was a BALL to drive. The lower version (compariable to the WRX) I didn't like as much, so the price and overall feel of the car knocked it out for me.

The MS3 has some torque stear, which is normal for the set-up. I did like that you can beat the crap out of the car and because it's FWD you'll just spin and not hook up and potentially hurt your clutch (but this is easily fixed with driver knowledge on the WRX IMO). I found the inside of the 3 nicer than the inside of the WRX in general. I found the motor & power-train (power delivery, sound, etc) nicer on the the WRX. Looks can be a bit of a personal thing, but the old MS3 I liked a lot, the new ones not so much. I had my 08 moded to 'stage 2+', and I never had even a tiny issue with the car. I did my own maintenance on it, and it was fun to drive, dependable and pretty user friendly.

However, the new body was just ghastly, so that, coupled with the AWD of the WRX, was the deciding factor. You can get a REALLY good deal on an MS3, though.

From what I know (it's limited), the 2013 is the same as the 2012. I know the 2014 wrx is supposedly different.

I thought the opinion of someone who had a MS3 and decided on a WRX as he matured might help your decision.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 08-29-2012 at 05:14 AM.

I was torn on the same two cars. It really came down to a few minor things.
    Minor=I liked the AWD, coming from a VW R32. "Launch Control in the rain? No problem"
    Did not care for the red seats in the MS3

But the major thing was the dealer. I shopped around about a month or two before I knoew the R32 was going away, got quotes after test drives of the MS3 of $306 mo, 36 mo lease and could not even find a WRX or STI to test drive, no inventory.

So now, the R32 is gone, getting around on my GSXR, the dealer that bought my R32 was right next door to a new Subaru dealer and guess what they had in stock? So I test drive a WRX, like it, they quote me $348 mo 36mo lease. The next day I go back to the Mazda dealer and drive the car one more time and make a choice. Hmmm, I did not hate the MS3 steering as much as I remembered. Ok, what are the numbers?

$410 mo, with a little more money down.... "What? I was here 6 weeks ago, you quoted me $300 plus tax". Well, that was last month, the programs change each month. What figure would we have to be at for you to take the car right now?"

I did not want to spend all day playing the games again, I told the salesman I was going to drive the WRX and see which one I liked better. His reply was "Go ahead, check out the WRX, I'll see you later today and we'll get you that Speed3 and a good price"

He called me about 5pm to see when I was coming back...........

Thanks for the reply like I said you guys are making my decision much easier. I drove my friends 09 ms3 and to be honest I was surprise to find out how well it drove. I will test drive the wrx soon, but I’m sure ill like it. i bought a 2008 TLS 2 years ago and sold it 3 months later fwd

i live in south TX so snow is not an issue. awd for pure enjoyment
    Mf645 > I just sold my 600rr, but before I sold it I took it to the track if you haven’t done so please do. The skills I acquired is priceless.

AWD is worth the price difference IMO, especially if you are adding family members. Can be safer. Not to mention, Subaru's safety features are insane. 5 star crash ratings from everywhere.

MS3 is a good fun car, and well built...but two words: Torque Oversteer.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Frankly, I think that they're both great cars. Back to back test drives would be a plus, if possible to arrange. All you're going to get here are a gaggle of (Subaru-biased) opinions. Good luck.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I drive a 2.5 M3, and will be trading it in on my WRX I have ordered.

I love my Mazda, and really like the MS3. The reason I did not get the MS3 this time around is FWD, and torque steer. I even get a little torque steer on my M3. If I can help it, I'll never have another FWD car again.

I drove a 2010 MS3.I traded it in for a 2012 WRX STi.Best thing I ever did!

The MS3 is a hot car man, they're roughly the same in hp ratings, but the AWD on the WRX should pretty much make your decision for you.

Also, did you look into STi's? I'm pretty sure it's a lot more expensive, but I'd ask to test drive one.
    Last edited by Durrake; 09-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.