Obviously a nooooooob.

This is a discussion on Obviously a nooooooob. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just joined up. Ive been looking around for my next vehicle. Honestly not sure which model, year im going to ...

Obviously a nooooooob.

Just joined up. Ive been looking around for my next vehicle. Honestly not sure which model, year im going to go with. But I figured i'd join here and do a little more diggin. If anyone has any advice, feel free to comment. I have been looking at either an 09, or 2012 wrx. Hatchback is prefered. Itll be used as a daily driver, but I also intend on modding it. Any comments would be appreciated.

-Aaron

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of modifications? Will you be doing any roadcourse or autocross racing?

The WRX is a very capable machine and great all around for DD, but if you have a specific goal or usage in mind, the STI may be better.

Curious, why only an '09 or '12 WRX and not the '10 and '11?

Welcome to the club.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

FMS

Welcome to the club! once we know what kinda power you want to make we can suggest the mods then I can help provide you the parts
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

Actually, I lied. I like the 2011 as well. The 10 just looks odd to me. Im very very new to subaru's. But the reliablitiy, performance, and over all class of any of these vehicles is much better than any other. The WRX is the only car I would/may buy brand new. As far as modifications, I'm new to also. I don't know exactly what I could do with this car seeing as there isnt anything like a track, or anything around me. I modify motorcycles, thats more my forte. But I find it extremely boring to keep a car stock. Especially a car like that.

The price difference between the STI and WRX is significant. What is the real difference between the 2?

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It is significant, and less justifiable in recent years than those previous, however I would still be able to justify the cost were I in a position to purchase either one new. That justification though, can't be made by everone.

The biggest differences between the two are in the driveline and suspension. The STI has a suspension made with motorsports in mind, where the WRX is better for every day usage. The STI has a 6-speed transmission and limited slip differentials front and rear with a driver controlled center differential (DCCD), WRX a 5-speed transmission with open differentials front and rear and a viscous coupling center diff (can not be adjusted). There are differences between the engines as well, of course, too many for me to want to put into a list here, but you can search for those differences rather easily.

edit: Can't believe I left out the brakes. The brakes are a HUGE improvement on the STI over the WRX.
    Last edited by xxxxxxxAnub1s; 08-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!