Need Help/ Opinions

This is a discussion on Need Help/ Opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello I was thinking of getting a 2006 subaru wrx sti when i realized i could just get and 2006 ...

Need Help/ Opinions

Hello I was thinking of getting a 2006 subaru wrx sti when i realized i could just get and 2006 subaru wrx Tr way cheaper and be capable of upgrading it with the spare cash. So i have done a lot of research and have may questions about fuel pumps and regulators and injectors i wanted to change the turbo in the tr to the TDo5 18g but not sure if i should do TD05 16g or TD06 20g i want this car to be an everyday driver that can accelerate very fast and i understand that changing the turbo requires me to change the injectors to which i was thinking if i got the TD05 18g/ TD06 20g i would probably have to get around 650cc injectors but if im wrong please correct me i have many questions please comment on this or message me or whatever helps me get reponses

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick18 View Post
    Hello I was thinking of getting a 2006 subaru wrx sti when i realized i could just get and 2006 subaru wrx Tr way cheaper and be capable of upgrading it with the spare cash.
    Sure, but Subaru are much better at doing this sort of thing than you or I might be. For example:

So i have done a lot of research and have may questions about fuel pumps and regulators and injectors
    They've already figured all that out.

i wanted to change the turbo in the tr to the TDo5 18g but not sure if i should do TD05 16g or TD06 20g
    Why do you want to change the turbo? What is your ultimate goal? If it's this:

i want this car to be an everyday driver that can accelerate very fast
    then I'd say pick either an everyday driver or a car that can accelerate very fast. Next, looking at typical maps for a 16G vs. an 18G or 20G, my guess would be that the 16G would not be as good a choice for the larger 2,5L motor as the 20G.

and i understand that changing the turbo requires me to change the injectors to which i was thinking if i got the TD05 18g/ TD06 20g i would probably have to get around 650cc injectors but if im wrong please correct me i have many questions please comment on this or message me or whatever helps me get reponses
    Follow the link in my signature if you are interested in modifying a car. However, you are at a great advantage here, in that you don't seem to own a car. This is terrific, because you have the opportunity to actually buy the car you want straight off, out of the box, and you won't have to mess with modifying it. Since auto makers are typically much better at building cars than owners, that's the route I'd pursue.

I don't find it realistic to modify a car and whenever a post includes a proposed modification path and the word "just" (see above, i could just get and 2006 subaru wrx Tr way cheaper and be capable of upgrading it with the spare cash) there is the potential for lots of money to change hands for no immediately apparent reason. Many people do this; I'm posting because (a) I feel I may as well... and (b) I'm probably giving you a minority viewpoint.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So your saying there is no such car as a everyday driver that accelerates fast im not talking like a 3.3 0 to 60 like before this i had a camaro that got like 4.8 i considered that pretty quick????

And so you would suggest a 18g instead of a 20g because i saw a post that with two guys saying they are pretty comparable

I Support ClubWRX
    So your saying there is no such car as a everyday driver that accelerates fast
    No. I'm saying I find it more likely for Subaru to build such a car than an owner. If you want an STi, the simplest and more logical thing to do is to buy one. Buying something else and modifying it isn't guaranteed to be easy, inexpensive, or to even succeed. If you have the time and money and know-how you could have at it and have reasonable success but the money may not make sense, the time many not make sense, and you'd still be missing on the more important aspects of the "target" car (the STi): everything to do with the chassis rather than the motor.

The link in my signature includes the information necessary regarding parts, modification paths, and so on to do much of what you seem to want to do. Have a look; it's all been done repeatedly and people are quite happy.

Would I do it? (Keep in mind your post asked for opinions). No. Others do though.

im not talking like a 3.3 0 to 60 like before this i had a camaro that got like 4.8 i considered that pretty quick????
    I'm sorry I don't follow what you're asking. I agree 4,8 sec is very quick.

And so you would suggest a 18g instead of a 20g because i saw a post that with two guys saying they are pretty comparable
    One is larger than the other. Which I chose would depend on my goals and pocket. Also, I'd buy the vendor, not just the part -- I'd make sure the vendor responds to queries before and after purchase and has excellent customer service.

If you are certain you want to modify the car, here's what I'd do:

1. Find a car, since you don't have one. If the owner shares your enthusiasm for modified cars, walk away. Find an unmodified car with a full service history. See the how-to-buy sticky threads in the Purchasing forum.
    2. Fix the car. It's a used car, something could be wrong. Bring it up to date on all service.
    3. Meanwhile, read the link in my signature and get an idea of which part does what on what car. You are looking at a new map, injectors, a pump, a turbo, maybe plumbing, maybe an intercooler, and so on, in addition to any parts the car might end up needing while everything is apart.
    4. Attend local meets, so you can talk to people with cars similar to whatever it is you decide to build. See what they think of driving and maintaining their cars day to day.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The 0 to 60 thing i was saying is in response to you saying if you want a car that accelerates quick then get a car for that then you said if you want an everyday driver get one well the camaro i had was fast and made a pretty decent everyday driver also i have all the tools i will need to fix the car up and i know exactly who can help me with all this so that isnt a problem plus i would love to learn how to do all of this so it will be a good experience. So if you could help me with a question if i was to get the 18g or 20g do you know what size fuel injectors would be good for this like 650cc? And also i a curious about if i would need a larger fuel pump and regulator if so what size?

I Support ClubWRX
    The 0 to 60 thing i was saying is in response to you saying if you want a car that accelerates quick then get a car for that then you said if you want an everyday driver get one well the camaro i had was fast and made a pretty decent everyday driver also i have all the tools i will need to fix the car up and i know exactly who can help me with all this so that isnt a problem plus i would love to learn how to do all of this so it will be a good experience. So if you could help me with a question if i was to get the 18g or 20g do you know what size fuel injectors would be good for this like 650cc? And also i a curious about if i would need a larger fuel pump and regulator if so what size?
    OK I see. Follow the link in my signature for modification paths.

Specifically start here:
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    and
    NASIOC - View Single Post - Unabomber's Manifesto
    from which you should see
    Turbo FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC
    and
    Injector, Fuel Pump, and Fuel Rail FAQ: Read if you are thinking of upgrading! - NASIOC

and then decide what parts interest you etc. Note that when you say "regulator" I tend to think people don't usually mess with them; I read "fuel rail" instead and I don't see a reason for you not to also do the same.

Also, since you've asked repeatedly about injector size, my best guess is "no" but my guess is absolutely useless. Talk to the vendor and other owners if you are going to DIY everything, or talk to the person that will map the car if you are going to have it tuned by someone else. Then buy a parts package accordingly. I know someone with DW650s that is doing OK but thinks they're a tad small even on a 2,0L for example, much less your 2,5L.
    Oh, and this thread has been really interesting plus it has links for DIY mapping:
    WTF Tuning Part 1: Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Logs
    Again, see links!
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-27-2012 at 05:41 PM.