Purchasing a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

This is a discussion on Purchasing a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I am very close to purchasing this WRX. The Specifications are: Mileage: 72,876 Body Style: Sedan Exterior Color: Platinum ...

Talking Purchasing a 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX

So I am very close to purchasing this WRX.

The Specifications are:

Mileage: 72,876
    Body Style: Sedan
    Exterior Color: Platinum Silver
    Interior Color: Black

It is selling for 14 grand and I was wondering if this is a good deal. Before I purchase, is there something I should be extra attentive about? Like worn brake pads, sticky clutch, gearbox, or anything else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Look underneath the hood and make sure it hasn't been heavily modded, the mileage is decent but not outstanding for that year, take a test drive and see how it feels. If it makes some odd noises... it's a subaru and will do that. The best thing you can hope for is no mods that way you know it is stock, if not tell us what kinds of mods they are to the knowledge of the owner - lot. Pay a mechanic to look it over.

Thanks for your help! I feel as if the modifications could be beneficial though. But I'll definitely take it to a mechanic and have him look it over.
    I have the picture of the car beneath the hood. Know if it is modded? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	107708

dude, it looks pretty bone stock and quite honestly that is a nice looking engine for the year. Nothing that I can see offhand other members will be on to chime in soon though.

I Support ClubWRX
    wow that looks CLEAN and i agree with joshmath looks stock. other ways to know possible mod history is check if the "silencer Delete" is still installed under the air intake. if that's gone chances are the former owner had aftermarket intentions somewhat. but really there is no sure fire way to know without a mechanic. check things like the air filter to make sure the owner kept up with maintenance. another good check for any used car is test drive it park kill the engine then attempt to start the car again and see if it fires right up. if it seems to sputter or miss could give you an idea of the motors condition.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

This ^ good info

I think I see an aftermarket blow off valve in your picture. I also see that in order to install this, they changed some of the tubing that would usually run along the bottom of the intercooler. Here's an image I pulled from google. This looks almost stock except for the strut tower brace and oil cap.

Attachment 107716
    Last edited by Obeisance; 08-23-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: adding info
    David - '05 WRX

nice eye ob

Thanks! I guess the aftermarket blow off valve is a plus for me! I was thinking about getting one

sure, they are not necessary on a stock engine but eh if you like them they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshmath View Post
    sure, they are not necessary on a stock engine but eh if you like them they are great.
    Look for "The big BOV thread" in the engine mod subforum, should be a sticky. Generally bov's are not considered to be a good mod, check out that thread for more info. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone. Easy to find though.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I have a sad announcement to make. The WRX I was going to get this weekend was sold.. now i am left feeling cold and sad without a car to think about..

don't fret! I bet you an even better one will turn up! Patience my friend the wait is worth it.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a mass produced Japanese car, they sold many, you can afford to be both picky and patient. Wait until just the right one comes along.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.