Question before buying a wrx

This is a discussion on Question before buying a wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys im a new guy here. Always wanted a wrx and now with a kid on the way i ...

Question before buying a wrx

Hey guys im a new guy here. Always wanted a wrx and now with a kid on the way i figure its time to make the jump. Looking into a 02 wrx wagon that needs a good bit of work but in my eyes is a deal. Ive got him at 2800 right now. 5spd. blue. Was wrecked before and pass side core support is mangled up a bit. someone half assed the fix. I think it needs straightened at a frame shape ( i believe the frame is fine. its just the core) Also seems to me one side wheel sticks out further than other side which is weird. Other than that its stupid repairs such as leaks and a clunk in rear area somewhere. Does 2800 sound cheap to you for a running wrx that has no trans issues. inspected and clean title!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pass
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    Pass
    Gotta agree. Spend some more money and save yourself the trouble.
    To the face!
    04' Stage 2 WRX | Premium Silver. Premium Sex.

I Support ClubWRX
    Modified body and motor. The parts are worth more but the car sounds like work. I don't like work. I prefer pontificating or, say, drinking beer, listening to blues music and shooting off guns. Your call. Be prepared to roll up
    your sleeves though. Not daily driver material at first glance.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You'll spend more time figuring out whats wrong with it than you actual will driving it.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    I have bought 2 in worse shape than that. One I ended up buying for $2700 as a parts car (roof damage) and flipping for $3200 5 days later. The other one I fixed.

Some info that might help:

The core support is 4 pieces that are all spot welded together. There is a top piece that the radiator mounts too, a right and left headlight bucket, and the bottom piece. You can buy them independently at your local subi dealer.

Also the "frame rails" and I use that term loosely; basically the multi piece sheet metal box member that the engine subframe bolts too, is modular as well and available at your subi dealer piece by piece. It is also spot welded together and replaceable piece by piece.

A thought on the wheel sticking out....

The WRX sedan got 10mm-15mm wider stance (wider control arms) than the wagon did. Perhaps he has replaced bent front wagon componentrey with sedan on that side.

Basically it boils down to this:

Its a ton of work. IF you have something else to drive, are experienced in comprehensive vehicle repair and want something to work on, it can be fun. But know that you need a host of tools including a mig welder, grinders, clamps, sealants, undercoating, paint, full set of hand tools, air chisel, drill, etc, etc.

Price wise depending on how much structurally needs to be repaired, each one of those sheet metal pieces is a few hundred bucks. Couple that with all the major maintenance components you'll have to do, leaks you'll have to fix, timing belt service, clutch service, etc. etc., and that $2800 car can turn into a $7000 nightmare real fast. Keep in mind a good running specimen with no documented incidents of damage (clean carfax) in good condition goes for $7500-$9500 bucks.

Good luck.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I can do all the work myself except for core support. Motor is supposedly
    Rebuilt 20k ago but I'm doubting that with how it leaks oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Keep looking, there are much better cars out there. Also, you said you have a kid on the way...was this going to be a project car? I would never trust a car with frame damage to carry a child, wayyyy to risky.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Keep looking, there are much better cars out there. Also, you said you have a kid on the way...was this going to be a project car? I would never trust a car with frame damage to carry a child, wayyyy to risky.
    +1

I'd pass.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Let me rephrase a little bit. I don't want to spend 5plus for one . I work in a garage and can get everything at a discount. Their doesnt appear to be frame damage. Just left side core support. I honestly don't think I'd be I. The car for more than 4-4500 fixed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseLee View Post
    Let me rephrase a little bit. I don't want to spend 5plus for one . I work in a garage and can get everything at a discount. Their doesnt appear to be frame damage. Just left side core support. I honestly don't think I'd be I. The car for more than 4-4500 fixed.
    On these cars, the core support=frame therefore it does have frame damage. Like I said watch yourself cause the $$$ can snowball real fast. I just bought the parts at a discount to do the clutch myself, and that alone was $790. If it needs new front suspension to correct the wheel offset problem, new rear suspension to fix the "clunk", plus the $200-$600 for core support parts (at a discount), plus paying someone to put them in, plus any sheet metal etc, you'll easily be into it for more than that. Keep in mind you might find out its worse after you start diving into it. You may want to make sure all the tires match to insure there won't be any center diff issues. For some reason people like to throw missmatch tires on a car they don't think is worth much, which spells tranny death on a WRX.

To give you an idea, we bought our bugeye project several years ago for $5500, and put $5000 into it. And we didn't have to replace any mechanical or suspension components, we bought parts at a pretty deep discount, and I did all the work including paint. We were over $1100 at just the dealer in core support, sheet metal and frame pieces.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE