Help me convince my wife to get the WRX
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me convince my wife to get the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello Forum. Long time member, first time poster. So I am in the market for a new car. I went ...

Help me convince my wife to get the WRX

Hello Forum. Long time member, first time poster.

So I am in the market for a new car. I went through a series of thoughts; a nice used Mazdaspeed 6, or maybe a used Mazdaspeed 3; something fun but under 18k. Then I went to; well, for 18k I can get a handful of decent new cars. Why get a car with 80,000 miles when I get a new car? Then I went to a new Impreza base model, for around 18k. I got the wife on board. Good deal.

But then you're like, well lets look at some options. Ooh all weather package, that sounds neat. Nav? Nice. check check check. Now it's a 22k car but loaded. Wife's still on board.

..... but wait, a WRX is just a few grand from that.... and way more fun....

So I need help from owners to help me convince my wife the WRX base model is worth it over a loaded Impreza. Tell me what you love about your car. Tell me what you loathe about your car. Tell me about the things you notice over time that can't be noticed in a test drive.

A little background --

I live in Minnesota, so an AWD car is an easy sell and basically the #1 priority in a new car. My vehicle history, and the things my wife liked about them, are as follows;

2004 Dodge SRT-4. She loved that car. Loved the exhaust burble, loved the power on tap, liked the trunk space and passanger room. Didn't worry much about the low rent interior, or torque steer or any of that. She just had a good ol' time in that car (we had 2 of them at one point)
    2008 Mazda RX-8. She grew to love this car too, but it had much more negatives for us. We had a kid during this car, and the rear seat room/trunk space was... lacking. But she loved to drive it. So smooth, handles like a dream, etc... until it snows. Then she's scared s'less.

And that's her big thing is wants something good in the snow, but is also fun to drive when it's dry. The 265 HP is a harder sell than heated seats and side mirrors and a nav system since they are both capable winter vehicles.

Any other winter drivers who find the extra power was needed to get out of a tight spot, or helped avoid an accident, or something? I need anecdotal evidnce to support my case.

Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX is much more interesting and you will love the performance.

The nonturbo Impreza comes with the same catastrophically bad paint as the WRX but WRX owners pay more for that plus they pay more at the pump too.

If you can afford it get the turbo car. You will need winter rubber though so add that expense plus potentially higher insurance and do a rough calculation to figure out what the added quantity and quality of fuel will do to your costs.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildside50 View Post
    Tell me what you love about your car. Tell me what you loathe about your car. Tell me about the things you notice over time that can't be noticed in a test drive.
    OK, here goes...

Dislikes:

The key and remote come as two pieces. Not a problem if you're a woman and just throw them in your purse. Major annoyance to fit more crap in your pocket though.

I like to drive with my doors locked (I know someone who was attacked in their car which could have been prevented if his doors had been locked). The doors don't lock when you start driving like in some other cars. No big deal, I guess. But when you lock the doors, neither do they unlock when you switch the ignition off. So every time I go to get out of the car, I pull the handle and nothing happens. You have to press the unlock button. Really irritating.

On the sedan, the trunk lid is attached to arms which swing down into the trunk space. So you need to make sure nothing is in the way - especially nothing fragile - before you close the lid.

The A/C doesn't get as cold as my old Ford Focus, so it's running almost at full blast for most of my commute.

When switching to the radio after listening to a CD at a comfortable volume, the radio is almost inaudible until you turn the volume up. Why they can't make them play at the same volume I don't know.

The steering is too light. When you're pushing hard around a corner, it's important to be able to feel how much grip the tires have left. Very little feedback through the wheel. Properly weighted steering is very important in a driver's car.

The gearbox is incredibly stiff which makes quick gear changes difficult. I've only done 3000 miles on my car so perhaps this will improve over time.

The hand brake locks the diff instead of the rear wheels. Every time I stop at a red light, I pull the handbrake up and the car rolls forward a couple of inches. Really annoying. When I pull the brake up, I want the car to stop.

The daytime running lights turn off when you pull the handbrake up. Every time I stop at a red light, people must think I'm weird for turning my lights on and off.

And something I'd like feedback on from other owners: On the majority of gear changes, as I release the clutch - at whatever speed I'm driving and no matter how slowly I release the pedal - the car feels like it's jumping into gear. There's no smoothness to the gear engaging. It's like it's either in gear or it's not. There's no transition. I don't get a noise, it's just a very abrupt jarring felt through the pedal. Is this normal for AWD Subarus?

Ok, I think that about covers it. How's that for a morning dose of negativity?

The good stuff:

It goes well enough when you put your foot down.

It's much smoother at cruising speed than my old Focus. Smoother than a standard Impreza that you're also considering? Probably not.

Most people don't know what the car is. But those who do seem to give it some respect. It's a nice feeling.

The standard exhaust makes a nice noise. Subtle but it's there. I'm considering a louder cat-back but I'm not sure that's appropriate when I'm meeting clients.

My favorite thing about the whole car is that you can plant your foot at any speed and not have to worry about traction. Again, different from a standard Impreza? No.

Just remember that everything about the WRX will cost you more than a standard Impreza; registration, insurance, fuel (the MPG and also that it needs premium), tires. The only thing I could suggest to help convince your wife would be to get her to test drive one. If she loves it, your job is done. If she's indifferent, then she'll be making her decision on logic instead of emotion.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sheesh, all that and no gripe about the cup-holders? Usually it is the cup-holders that make or break the deal. Did they fix them or something?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    There are 2 cupholders in the front center console. 1 in each door card. & there is an option to install a cupholder in the center console for the rear seat passengers. So that is a total of 8 cup holders for 5 people. That's a whole lotta cups.

I must agree with the automatic lock issue. My 5 year old Honda SUV had that feature. Neither the Foz nor the WRX/STI come with that feature.
    Last edited by rage-wrx; 08-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

The ones on the door is what actually got my wife to fall in love with it more lol.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    There are 2 cupholders in the front center console. 1 in each door card. & there is an option to install a cupholder in the center console for the rear seat passengers. So that is a total of 8 cup holders for 5 people. That's a whole lotta cups.

I must agree with the automatic lock issue. My 5 year old Honda SUV had that feature. Neither the Foz nor the WRX/STI come with that feature.
    I think maybe they don't want you driving around in them locked because the structure around the ****pit is so good in an emergency with you unconscious and the doors locked there is a significant delay before EMS can get in. Jaws of life etc. Obviously they can break a window, but that might not help if the lock mech. is jammed.

I'm not 100% convinced that is valid, but have heard it bandied about and it makes some sense. They have a bit of a rep for saving people's lives but also being hard to crack open.

In fact, none of the things mentioned would matter one single hill of beans to me. The real question is can you get emotionally attached to it or not. Well, maybe the steering thing if it couldn't be fixed (which it can - just get a better alignment for a start).
    Last edited by mycologist; 08-19-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I think maybe they don't want you driving around in them locked because the structure around the ****pit is so good in an emergency with you unconscious and the doors locked there is a significant delay before EMS can get in. Jaws of life etc.

I'm not 100% convinced that is valid, but have heard it bandied about and it makes some sense. They have a bit of a rep for saving people's lives but also being hard to crack open.

In fact, none of the things mentioned would matter one single hill of beans to me. The real question is can you get emotionally attached to it or not.
    I read somewhere that according to the fireman's journal Subaru has the highest rated, toughest & safest body frame ,but also extremely difficult to cut into if need be.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    I agree with everything Soobvirgin said. Although he left out a couple negatives surprisingly,
    the interior is not only cheap looking but it creaks and squeeks especially if it's cold outside.
    Also the stock stereo is god awful.

The positives are, you can't find another new car for $24k that will outperform the WRX
    They hold their value very well.
    I never really liked hatch backs, but the WRX is very sexy in hatch form, the sedan is kinda ugly IMO. If you get a 5door, you'll have plenty of cargo room, in a great looking car, that goes pretty quick.

Love: excellent power on tap (after a couple relatively inexpensive mods) , great handling (after a couple relatively inexpensive mods), the hatchback offers fantastic utility for a small performance-oriented car, reliable and easy to maintain, AWD, safety, very easy & cheap to mod (+30 hp with just a tune & downpipe)

Hate: cheap plasticy interior, climate controls, radio is garbage, Subaru took away the WRX's LSD, cheap paint & body fasteners, underdamped OEM shocks

Solution: Just buy a used UNMODIFIED '09+ WRX with relatively low miles. You'll get 200K miles out of it if you treat it right, so a used one with 30K miles should be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sheesh, all that and no gripe about the cup-holders? Usually it is the cup-holders that make or break the deal. Did they fix them or something?
    My car came with the rear seat cup holders and I'd forgotten that it was even an option. I certainly wouldn't have chosen them, but I have to admit I've used them a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Harrison View Post
    ...the interior is not only cheap looking but it creaks and squeeks especially if it's cold outside.
    Also the stock stereo is god awful.

The positives are, you can't find another new car for $24k that will outperform the WRX
    They hold their value very well.
    I never really liked hatch backs, but the WRX is very sexy in hatch form, the sedan is kinda ugly IMO. If you get a 5door, you'll have plenty of cargo room, in a great looking car, that goes pretty quick.
    Agreed. The cheap plasticky interior was one of the first things I noticed when I looked at the car. But, now I don't even notice it. Although, it hasn't yet been cold since I got the car and probably won't be for another 4 months, so I haven't heard any squeaks.

I got a WRX because I couldn't find anything I wanted more that was within my budget. All Subarus seem to hold their value very well, which is an excellent point. That certainly pushed me away from a Mustang purchase. Well, that combined with 1.9% finance.

I don't think either shape is pretty. I don't think I've ever seen a good looking Japanese car. They do a lot of things well when it comes to cars, but compared to manufacturers around the World, their design is sorely lacking. Just personal taste and I'm sure others will disagree. But looks were less important to me than the way the car drove anyway.

I Support ClubWRX
    Regarding auto locks: if this were the 90s I'd have liked to see Hg switches set to auto lock the doors if the car rolls. In the 21st century an accelerometer could probably do the same thing. That Subaru has not implemented either is disappointing. Merc was doing this before many current WRX owners rode their first big wheel tricycle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Minnesota? that is all you need to say. This car can go through anything with the right tires on it. If you have dogs you might want to look at the hatch but it is a great car for the money. You might even get hooked on the mod game. ********** good luck
    STAGE 1 IS MORE FUN BUT STAGE 2 THERE'S MORE TO DO

residual value...that's enough. I have run through a plethora of cars in the last few years and the nagging reminder of being $4-6k upside down at any given time is no bueno. I can't remember where I read it but from model years 2006-2008 more owners were able to sell there vehicle outright for what they owed than any other vehicle. Heck try to find a new one in the Boise area...good luck, people are paying over msrp 90 days before getting their car.

Quote Originally Posted by dolson1120 View Post
    Minnesota? that is all you need to say. This car can go through anything with the right tires on it. If you have dogs you might want to look at the hatch but it is a great car for the money. You might even get hooked on the mod game. ********** good luck
    Yeah, I'm sure if I lived in a state with better weather, there are myriad FWD cars I'd consider (Civics and Carollas and Mazda 3's and whatnot). Even the Speed3 intrigued me, but it just doesn't make sense to get anything other than AWD. I think I have to drive an Impreza to see if maybe I can hate it enough to pony up for the WRX. My friend has a '11 WRX and he's let me drive it a few times so I know what I like and don't like from a driving it perspective.

I have heard now a couple times that it begins to creak pretty easily, which is unfortunate. I don't mind plastic looking/feeling, but annoying rattles will anger me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast