Help me convince my wife to get the WRX - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me convince my wife to get the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I would proceed slowly with the idea that an otherwise happy marriage isn't valid because of disagreement about a car ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I would proceed slowly with the idea that an otherwise happy marriage isn't valid because of disagreement about a car purchase. A car is just a hunk of steel with some parts bolted to it.

That said, I think I get at what Matt's saying. My wife wants me to be happy. She may debate the wisdom of a purchase with me, but if she sees that it's important to me, she generally goes along with it, unless it's just bonkers to the budget, or for some other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If she can't wrap her head around it, either the car or her is not meant to be (I'm 100% serious with this statement); that's something only you can
    answer.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX
    I would proceed slowly with the idea that an otherwise happy marriage isn't valid because of disagreement about a car purchase. A car is just a hunk of steel with some parts bolted to it.

That said, I think I get at what Matt's saying. My wife wants me to be happy. She may debate the wisdom of a purchase with me, but if she sees that it's important to me, she generally goes along with it, unless it's just bonkers to the budget, or for some other reason.
    That's the jest of what I'm getting at. Yes, it's just a car purchase, but if it's going to be something that provides both utility and a strong sense of happiness, and it's really important to me, it would be tough for me to get over it. I've broken up with girls for less; grant it, a marriage is a bit more serious of a situation, but I can be a stubborn ass with my beliefs. For example, I ended a relationship with a girl when she decided to become a vegetarian for moral reasons (two shots @ Ray in one day ); the fact that she made that choice wasn't really it, but I knew my unwillingness to do the same would cause hostility throughout our relationship, and it would never really work.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Well, to put it in perspective; the last time we got a car, it was an Rx-8, and I traded in my wife's car to get it. She cried at the dealership in frustration. So yeah, this time I'm trying to be more diplomatic.

I Support ClubWRX
    For example, I ended a relationship with a girl when she decided to become a vegetarian for moral reasons (two shots @ Ray in one day ); the fact that she made that choice wasn't really it, but I knew my unwillingness to do the same would cause hostility throughout our relationship, and it would never really work.
    Interesting that you felt that there would be a requirement for you to be the same. My wife and I have essentially had slightly different diets for 20 years. It's just never registered on our radar as "important".

OP: That adds another piece to this psychological puzzle. You're wise to go into this one with your eyes open!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I'm getting the feeling that you two are not BFF's....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildside50
    I'm getting the feeling that you two are not BFF's....
    Ray and I? If so, not the case at all; I like Ray quite a bit. We've shared some good conversations and laughs over beers a few times...

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    If you make 250k a year, you still can't afford a Ferrari.

So.. Just a question here but what is everyone's love for automatic locks about? I don't quite understand this.. Why must a car auto lock it's doors?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Ray and I? If so, not the case at all; I like Ray quite a bit. We've shared some good conversations and laughs over beers a few times...
    The internet makes it hard to tell gentle friendly ribbing from sarcastic conetention...

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post

So.. Just a question here but what is everyone's love for automatic locks about? I don't quite understand this.. Why must a car auto lock it's doors?
    I'd be fine with auto-locks as long as it comes with auto unlocks. It drives me nuts in my explorer that every time I move 5 feet, then I go to get my daughter out of the car, I have to hit unlock, cause I always forget. Maybe that's on me for being dumb but it annoys me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post

So that car jackers & muggers don't get into your car so easily? I tend to lock my doors as soon as I get into my car .
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

If you really want to convince her let her take it for a LONG test drive if she already hasn't. Usually, test drives don't "sell" me the car if they're short. I test drove my girlfriend's new car twice on different days before buying it and the second day definitely sold me. If she favors performance the most on a car then I think she'll like the WRX.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildside50
    The internet makes it hard to tell gentle friendly ribbing from sarcastic conetention...
    Any kind of written communication makes it difficult. Facial expressions and tone make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    So that car jackers & muggers don't get into your car so easily? I tend to lock my doors as soon as I get into my car .
    Not everyone has to deal with jackers/muggers on every corner. There are very few instances in the 10+ years I've been driving that I've felt the need to lock my door...

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Just remember...what happens at CretinFest...is worth 2 knobs in the hand. Or something.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I just turn the safety off.

OP, why did you trade in your wifes car without giving her any say? Based off that and no more information, it seems like you make all the decisions around the house without any input from your other half. Better yet, get a wife that buys YOU cars.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    I was assuming that they had agreed to trade the car, but that she was just sad to see it go.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast