Help me convince my wife to get the WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me convince my wife to get the WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Can you afford it? Then get it. Pull your skirt down....

Can you afford it? Then get it. Pull your skirt down.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    OK, here goes...

Dislikes:

The hand brake locks the diff instead of the rear wheels. Every time I stop at a red light, I pull the handbrake up and the car rolls forward a couple of inches. Really annoying. When I pull the brake up, I want the car to stop.
    Not correct. While it might feel that way, the feeling you're getting IS lash in the driveline.. but your parking brake does actuate a small drum brake setup inside your rear disks, not the differential.

The daytime running lights turn off when you pull the handbrake up. Every time I stop at a red light, people must think I'm weird for turning my lights on and off.
    meh.. doesn't matter what others think. Most of them aren't thinking at all anyway lol
    And something I'd like feedback on from other owners: On the majority of gear changes, as I release the clutch - at whatever speed I'm driving and no matter how slowly I release the pedal - the car feels like it's jumping into gear. There's no smoothness to the gear engaging. It's like it's either in gear or it's not. There's no transition. I don't get a noise, it's just a very abrupt jarring felt through the pedal. Is this normal for AWD Subarus?
    Yes, and its fixable. Subaru markets the vehicle with nice soft mounts in the driveline so its quiet and smooth. If you want to get rid of that clunky loose feeling, change out the soft mounts. A rear subframe lockdown kit coupled with a Diff bushing insert kit will greatly reduce that as well as the funky feeling you get when you're using the parking brake in ways you're not supposed to.
    Seriously, for less than $100 and about a hour worth of labor you can get rid of about 95% of that slop and not introduce any extra noise into the car. Changing the pitch stop and trans mount is next after that but they WILL increase nvh a bit. I found a layer of dynamat was sufficient in bringing the car back to very tolerable (I like quiet) levels. None of the above will affect warranty any either, matter of fact the group N trans mount can be purchased right from your local dealer... if you want to pay too much for it

[/QUOTE]

Back on topic.. if you want her to like it man.. have her drive it. If you need more room, get the hatch. Its a great car for the money and though you'll be spending more for the car and maintenance its not any different from other turbo cars. I bought my car new in oct 09 (my2010) w 63 mi on it and just this past week crested 90K mi. I've done nothing but regular maintenance. My car has also been stage II since 60K mi (yes I waited until after the warranty was up to mod). Either way you shake it, its a fun car at a decent price. Just like letting a kid pet a puppy... after she drives it she'll like it.

If she doesn't, it wasn't meant to be.
    Last edited by mangostick; 08-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Get a new wife.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    My attraction to the WRX, at least the older incarnation of it, has been due to the fact that it is a "Swiss Army Knife" of cars. It doesn't do anything "supremely well"..there are faster cars, better handling cars, cars with more cargo space, better mileage, interior, etc. It does, however, do most all of those things "fairly well", and combines that with a reasonable purchase price and Japanese reliability...if properly maintained. It is fun, but useful, with its 4 doors, AWD, and loadability if you get a hatch.

I have a 2002..I'm assuming that the same could be said for the recent models. Good luck with it!
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    The OP had a specific question. OT discussion removed from thread.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews
    Get a new wife.
    Best advice here LOL

In all seriousness, what needs convincing? If you can afford the financial burden (payment, insurance, gas), and you can fit the family in the vehicle with needed supplies, I don't see why there should be any "convincing" necessary. It's something you like, and you want it. As long as it doesn't negatively impact her, I don't see the problem. Does she need your permission on what clothes she's able to purchase?

The WRX is an entry-level economy sedan, with an upgraded drivetrain. Expect squeeks/rattles, expect a "cheap" looking interior. You're paying a premium for AWD, and a bit more performance than your typical economy car.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^^^This
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Banned
    The MPG downright sucks for a 4cyl but don't tell her that.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the mpg is actually quite good for a car with full time 4WD car.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    I think the mpg is actually quite good for a car with full time 4WD car.
    It has essentially been the same since the '02 WRX, which is not good. Whereas V8 fuel economy has improved drastically. Hopefully Subaru will improve MPG for the '14my.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not many V8s can be driven in winter. And I need to get to work everyday.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    My experience has been that the WRX's mpg's are very "driving-style" dependent. No idea about the newer models, but my 2002's have gotten 26'ish mpgs in mixed city/highway mileage, stock through stage 2. Not quite so good with the hybrid build, but that's on me. I don't consider that to be all that bad for an enthusiast car from 10 years ago.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

In all seriousness, what needs convincing? If you can afford the financial burden (payment, insurance, gas), and you can fit the family in the vehicle with needed supplies, I don't see why there should be any "convincing" necessary. It's something you like, and you want it. As long as it doesn't negatively impact her, I don't see the problem. Does she need your permission on what clothes she's able to purchase?

The WRX is an entry-level economy sedan, with an upgraded drivetrain. Expect squeeks/rattles, expect a "cheap" looking interior. You're paying a premium for AWD, and a bit more performance than your typical economy car.
    If my wife was going to buy $4000 worth of clothes, you better believe she'd better get my aproval first. And in all seriousness; just because you CAN afford soemthing doesn't mean you should buy it. If you make 250k a year you probably CAN afford a ferrari. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a caddy and put the rest of the difference into savings/kids education/vacations. Plus, ya never know when you might get laid off...

Which does make it's high resale value an appealing point though. With ~$5,000 down, it shouldn't be long before we could get out from under the car scott free, which is a good point.

And I think there are a lot of entry level cars in the 18-22k range that don't rattle and squeek in the first 50k miles, so it is a negative. I realize the trade off, but still...

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, most healthy marriages involve some discussion before making large purchases that will impact the household budget.

OTOH, my wife has, for all intents and purposes, gotten the last 3 new cars. I'm getting whatever I want, next time around.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildside50
    If my wife was going to buy $4000 worth of clothes, you better believe she'd better get my aproval first. And in all seriousness; just because you CAN afford soemthing doesn't mean you should buy it. If you make 250k a year you probably CAN afford a ferrari. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a caddy and put the rest of the difference into savings/kids education/vacations. Plus, ya never know when you might get laid off...

Which does make it's high resale value an appealing point though. With ~$5,000 down, it shouldn't be long before we could get out from under the car scott free, which is a good point.

And I think there are a lot of entry level cars in the 18-22k range that don't rattle and squeek in the first 50k miles, so it is a negative. I realize the trade off, but still...
    I understand. There's a difference between affording a vehicle and being car poor. If you can safely afford the additional costs of ownership, and it's something that you'll get enjoyment of, just explain that to your wife. If she can't wrap her head around it, either the car or her is not meant to be (I'm 100% serious with this statement); that's something only you can answer.

The noises and stuff are quirks to me. The WRX/STI has reduced sound deadening material compared to other cars, so that doesn't help mask it. You're getting stiffer components, which will have a harsher sound/feel. I've replaced many of the mounts/bushings with firmer ones; my exhaust is loud, and my stereo tends to cover the noises, but the increased feel makes it worth it. Everyone has different priorities; NVH isn't one of mine (in fact, I kinda like it).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast