Used 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on Used 2002 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I just got a 2002 Subaru WRX 4EAT. It runs fine and everything seems to be in good ...

Used 2002 WRX

Hey guys, I just got a 2002 Subaru WRX 4EAT. It runs fine and everything seems to be in good condition, timing belt is fairly new, it idles and runs smooth, transmission shifts perfectly. However it seems to have been modded in the past, I don't know how much (no access to the previous owner). It looks to have a TurboXs BOV and a AEM cold air intake. From looking around on the Forums it looks like TurboXs BOV are a no go for 4EAT's and the ECU should be tuned if you are going to add a cold air intake. The person I got it from said that it had an illegal exhaust system on it that they "fixed" I didn't get much more details than that, so even if it was tuned for the cold air intake it seems like "fixing" the exhaust would mess that tune up anyway.

Something seems wrong with something because it only seems to get up to around 9 psi boost (it came with a few gauges although I am not sure if they are hooked up right, in fact I am sure that some are not hooked up right because the oil pressure always reads 0 and the AFR comes in and out intermittently) the boost gauge will go up to 9 if I step on the gas, but, while in cruise control it reads something like 10 psi vacuum, sometimes it will even go down to 20 psi vacuum. Not sure how normal that is or if it is horribly wrong. I have some pictures of the engine and the BOV and what looks like hook ups for the BOV, but, they are taking awhile to upload on my current connection so I will edit them in later when I have a better connection.

I have driven it pretty consistently since I have gotten it, and have put around 1000 miles on it so far with no issues whatsoever. So I don't think that there are any major issues, there is no knocking, so I don't think there is any danger, just seems to lack the performance it could have with a proper tune.

Anybody have any advice as to what to check for regarding the stuff I have mentioned or just anything I may have missed, the CEL did come on so I am going back to the guy I got it from to have him check it out, I've dealt with him before with other cars and he is pretty good about fixing things for cheap and sometimes free (I got a Subaru outback from him a year or so ago and the CEL came on and he checked it out and replaced all my spark plugs for free, they all turned out to be dirty and caused occasional misfires) he also did a timing belt for me for $350 parts and labor, fairly cheap from what I hear. If anyone thinks that I really should get a tune or at least have a professional tuner look into it, anyone know of a good tuner in the New Hampshire area? I'm not really looking to get into any modding right now just looking to get it running as tip top as possible.

Edited: added some pics below

Last edited by Anathemata; 08-13-2012 at 05:11 PM.