New From Houston

This is a discussion on New From Houston within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Howdy, I'm doing research for buying a new vehicle in the next 6-12 months. The first thing to catch my ...

New From Houston

Howdy,

I'm doing research for buying a new vehicle in the next 6-12 months. The first thing to catch my eye was the Genesis coupe however I can't really get the options I want in the 2.0T without having to jump to the V6. I'm also interested in the Ford ST however I despise the FWD handling characteristics and really want a RWD car. I'll probably test drive a BRZ/FRS however 150 ft-lb of torque has me concerned. I was a bit surprised a WRX could be had for $30k (which is my limit) so I'm here to research. The STI also has peaked my interest since I would like to do track days however its a big jump in price.

I always thought the WRX was a good looking car and there seems to be a lot of turning options which is a big plus. My initial disappointments so far are the bad gas mileage and the premium fuel requirement considering the HP produced, and that it only has a 5 speed MT. The genesis and ST have smaller engines (both turbocharged), produce the same if not more HP and can run regular if one wants to drone down the highway on a trip not really needing max HP. They also get in the low 30's mpg on the highway. From what I can tell there won't be a re-design in 2013 so I'm concerned the following year they come out with a direct injected engine and 6 speed MT or double clutch gearbox giving it more power and better mileage and I'll be pissed. I'm creeping up on 90k miles on my '06 X-Runner so I don't think I'll try to stretch to a '14 model.

Pete

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome! I did not know that the genesis and ST were stated to allow running regular gas...you learn something new every day!

What are you going to be using your new car for? What are your needs? A lot of people (myself included) picked the WRX due to it's "swiss army knife" characteristics: AWD, good usable space for a small car (especially the hatchback), fun to drive, etc.

If you don't need practicality, then another car might be better for you since gas mileage seems to be a big concern. My advice is always "go drive them."

Also, I wouldn't discount the BRZ/FRS. I haven't been in one but there are some here who have. The general consensus is that yes, it's not going to win drag races. But it is a lot of fun to toss around and it's handling will make up for it's lower power on the track (a la the Miata).

But again, come up with a list and then test em all out.

Oh, and edit: I know the Genesis coupe is due for some changes, I think for the 2013 year. Most significantly it will be getting nice bumps in power. Don't know if you were taking that into account or not.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I went to the dealership to window shop and they didn't have any WRX's but they had two STI's (hatch and sedan). I understand the Genesis Coupe, Ford ST, and BRZ are new but I figured there would be some WRX inventory. So I can't find anything to test drive but I don't need a new car now and can wait a few months and for the 2013's. Correct me if I'm wrong but the WRX isn't a special order car is it?

It isn't, but they stopped production on them for the year a little while ago so they are tougher and tougher to find.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"