TURBO UPGRADE
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on TURBO UPGRADE within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi everyone!(GO SUBARU!!!!! ) would like to get me STI to the to the 310-315 mark without upgrading the injectors. ...

TURBO UPGRADE

hi everyone!(GO SUBARU!!!!!)

would like to get me STI to the to the 310-315 mark without upgrading the injectors. i just want a small upgrade from stock to bring me up. right now i have a stage 1 Cobb intake setup, CB exhaust and a FMIC. i will be getting a cat-less DP and stage 2 upgrade in the future, but also would like to up grade the turbo. what would you guys suggest?

also if any of you guys are in the L.A. area feel free to hit me up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    you can achieve 315 hp with upgraded pump, injectors, dp/catback, bpv and intercooler.

You can NOT successfully or correctly upgrade your turbo without replacing your injectors, simply not going to happen, your stock injectors arent good enough for your stock turbo, they sure as **** arent good enough for more volume.
    Last edited by T0rque; 08-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    As said, if you're not willing to do injectors, a turbo upgrade would be a waste.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    You can NOT successfully or correctly upgrade your turbo without replacing your injectors, simply not going to happen, your stock injectors arent good enough for your stock turbo, they sure as **** arent good enough for more volume.

^this

Not sure why you would be against upgrading the injectors, yet you're wanting to upgrade the turbo. You can max out the injectors with the stock turbo.

Hey guys thanks for the feed back. I didn't want to upgrade the injectors because I know it a pain in th @$$. But from what I heard I will have to. So what cc would you guys recommend?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamahar6311
    Hey guys thanks for the feed back. I didn't want to upgrade the injectors because I know it a pain in th @$$. But from what I heard I will have to. So what cc would you guys recommend?
    You choose injectors based on the turbo/fuel you plan to run
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I live in Cali so best I can get is 91oct. With that being said I want a turbo/injector upgrade that will bring me up to a bit over 300 poneys. I just bougt my 08 sti a few months ago and I try to do all my own Work. Just got into tunning and I would say I'm a novice machanic and not afraid to tackle any job.(how else do you learn right?) I used to drive a 02 Tacoma and did all my own work on that from boot to bonit, but when it comes to turbo charged card I'm a little lost and could use some advice on what to do. So again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is e85 readily available over that way? If so, and you are looking to upgrade your injectors, I would consider it.

Like others have said, your injectors will be holding you back. Do you have larger plans down the road? Deciding your future plans now could save you a lot of cash down the road.

I'd suggest a few books or finding a reputable tuner out that way. There are some good stickies on here as well. Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, it is just a large chunk of information and time.

Generally, most seem to do the mechanical work on their own and leave the ECU tuning to somebody with more experience. I don't fit that description, and nor do many on this board, but its a good way to start out with these cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamahar6311 View Post
    I live in Cali so best I can get is 91oct. With that being said I want a turbo/injector upgrade that will bring me up to a bit over 300 poneys. I just bougt my 08 sti a few months ago and I try to do all my own Work. Just got into tunning and I would say I'm a novice machanic and not afraid to tackle any job.(how else do you learn right?) I used to drive a 02 Tacoma and did all my own work on that from boot to bonit, but when it comes to turbo charged card I'm a little lost and could use some advice on what to do. So again, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

300 to the wheel or the crank? 300 on what dyno? Just a number can be very subjective.. if you're wanting just a little more then I would recommend an 18g. Although I don't see much point in spending all that money for just a little boost. The next step up I would recommend a 20g. Blouch makes quality turbos in both sizes, and if you don't mind spending a little more I would personally go with a turbo with a ballbearing CHRA. Either way I would be looking at injectors in the 750cc range. You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump, which isn't a big deal. And if it were me I would upgrade your boost controller as well. Grimmspeed makes a good 3-port EBCS, but I would ask your tuner which type of boost control they prefer, EBCS or MBC (or you can always use both, which is actually the best way to go IMHO).

Subaru WRX/STi 20G-XT-R Turbocharger
    750cc Fuel Injectors | 2007-12 | STi | Subaru | Sport Compact | Fuel Injectors | DeatschWerks | DeatschWerks.com
    DW300 In-Tank Fuel Pump | Fuel Pumps | DeatschWerks | DeatschWerks.com
    GrimmSpeed

I guess I will start saving up for the fun stuff. Right now Im just going to stick with getting a DP with a stage2 tune. I'll let the turbo upgrade be my project for the beginning of next year and I will follow up with pictures. Thanks everyone

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.